PDA

View Full Version : Deep Stack Limit Tourney Strategy

Dan Burns
11-23-2004, 03:01 AM
Hey everyone. I'm a first time poster/long time lurker. Last week I won a seat in the $10,000 PPMillion cruise tournament. It was the highlight of my poker career so far. Anyway, all the sub-qualifiers and qualifiers and super-satellites I won to get there were NL. I have played my fair share of limit games, but they're mostly ring games or single-table tourneys. I was wondering: what's a good way to approach a deep-stack limit tournament? I understand implied odds in deep stack NL tourneys quite well, but I'm not sure what my mind frame should be in the kind of tournament where you start out with 10K in chips and the first level is 25/50 limit (if that's the structure). Accumulate chips? Protect my stack?

Here's a sample question: On the first hand of the tourney I look down at 99 UTG. I have 10K in chips and can raise the 25 BB to 50, just call 25, or fold. What's my best option?

Also, did anyone who went last year take anything to keep from getting seasick? Any hints on avoiding getting sick would be appreciated, since I got sick last time I was on a boat. Thanks for your help. -Dan

Lurshy
11-23-2004, 10:21 AM
I haven't played in a tournament of this structure, so take what I say FWIW.

1- Seek out some limit tournaments either online or B&M, to gain some 1st hand experience in limit tourneys for your self before the big event.

2- Whatever strategy you plan, be flexible. Adapt to the texture of the table and your cards.

3- Look for the nuts on a passive table. In limit tourney's I have played there has been much chasing, with 6 to a flop more the norm rather than the heads up play you often see in NL. It gives you the chance to play some hands ep or mp that you normaly wouldn't in NL.

3- If you miss a flop, quickly decide whether to play or abandon (recommended). Remember, your ability to chase people out of pots may be limited with the low limits. Save your chips for better opporunities rather than chase back door draws.

4- Be wary of playing half-hit flops. You played that 10s-8s looking for a str8 or flush. Hitting TP bad kicker on flop, won't hold up. Don't chase without a real draw.

5- Have fun. Don't play scared.

HTH

jackdaniels
11-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Or... Sell your seat (if you can) and use the $$ to make lots and lots more in the NL games/tourneys (maybe even use it to buy in to the Atlantis WPT - now that would be sweet!).

Always good to think of alternatives!

McMelchior
11-23-2004, 03:08 PM
No limit advice, but regarding the boat:

Transportation sickness medication will impare your poker skills. Instead start the day early with a sturdy breakfast, and don't go too long before lunch. For me the difference between enjoying a boatride or nausea lies in having a full stomach. Bring sandwiches to the table and snack regularly. Avoid anything greasy or very pungent. Drink plenty of water (even though that's a liability in a tournament).

Good Luck!

Best,

McMelchior

Dan Burns
11-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Of course I'm not heading into the tournament with a rigid gameplan, but it seems to me the best way to approach the beginning of the tournament is to play only premium hands (ie. NO small pairs or hands like JT) and to strive for position. Do any of you take the opposite approach and poke around early looking to hit big flops with small pairs and the like, as it is correct to do in a NL tournament?