PDA

View Full Version : Terrible hand in currently running PS 11+rebuy-what's my line?

DownLow
11-23-2004, 02:25 AM
OK, here's how I played it badly, how should I have played it? I put UTG on a pair and wanted to see a flop rather than pushing pre-flop, but didn't count on the BB getting frisky.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1200 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO (t15270)
Button (t105579)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t10420)</font>
<font color="C00000">BB (t4640)</font>
<font color="C00000">UTG (t21505)</font>
UTG+1 (t8807)
MP1 (t30472)
MP2 (t64533)
MP3 (t15821)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t2400</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls t1800, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t4565</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t6730</font>, Hero folds.

Flop: (t13545) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Turn: (t13545) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

River: (t13545) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: t13545

edited to fix messed up positions. Is the hand converter having problems?

ZootMurph
11-23-2004, 03:04 AM
Looks like you are reaching that magical 10xBB... Personally, I'd have pushed when it got to me.

Here's the hand that all but finished me:

Blinds 2k/4k 150 ante. I have 32k, villain has 30k. Villain has been pretty tight. So have I, and there were just a couple of comments about my tightness in the chat, as I blinded off about 15k over the last half hour...

UTG+1 comes in with a bet of 12k... a little larger than the average 9k open raise. To me, I smell weakness. I have a pair of 7s, and push. He uses his whole time bank and calls at the last second... saying he is pot committed. He shows Jacks and I'm down to 2k. Out next hand. I felt I had him where I wanted him, and if he was to call it would be a race. Big mistake. Impatience got the best of me since I hadn't had a hand for half an hour, and I overplayed it.

UOPokerPlayer
11-23-2004, 03:16 AM
I think you played it fine. The mini-raise reraise sure looks like something that aq doesn't do well against. The converter screwed up my post too.

DownLow
11-23-2004, 03:31 AM
Just busted out in 52nd, AA in SB, stack ~80k blinds 3k/6k big stack (~180k) limps UTG, I make it 14k to go, BB and UTG come along, flop Ks 4 7.
I check BB pushes (about 19k), UTG calls, I push (about 65k more to UTG) he calls.

BB has As Qs UTG has 5 6 for an OESD. Turn a blank, river a 3 cracking my aces and knocking me out. No way I put him on that hand limping UTG (and then calling a raise). KB0Y, you made my list ;-)

On the original hand in this thread, the minraiser UTG had KK, BB had AT. I would have rivered the best hand. Oh well, at least I made the money and other than a few hands (including the one above) I feel I played a good game throughout the night. I got my money in with the best hand and that's all you can ask for.

DownLow
11-23-2004, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. The mini-raise reraise sure looks like something that aq doesn't do well against. The converter screwed up my post too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like that is probably a push or fold situation. If I push, I may be able to get the BB out and isolate UTG. It just seems really iffy to me, especially with the overlay of the SB. I just feel like I played the hand weak-tight, calling off chunks of my stack with a questionable hand. If I push I may have some fold equity (obviously I had none with UTG having KK, but I couldn't know that then). I guess I figured the shortstack BB would fold or limp along, he had been fairly passive throughout the night. However, we all know when you get on a stack like that you have to push with whatever you can get. I should have noticed the chip position he was in and either put him to the test or muck and let him duke it out with UTG. I just hate it when I muck my small blind to a minraise with a decent hand and the BB doesn't defend his blind and so I find it hard to lay down my less than premium hands in the SB. But, as I posted above I was able to chip up a little later and ended up in the money, so I guess it turned out OK. Even though I would have sucked out on the KK, I laid down what was not the best hand at the time (after getting suckered into the minraise).

youtalkfunny
11-23-2004, 06:15 AM
Those mini-raises scare me more than all-ins.