PDA

View Full Version : Official 2004-2005 Fighting Illini Basketball Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Clarkmeister
01-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Considering we annihilated the best team from that conference and had a tougher non-conference schedule to boot, the claim that Duke will have a worse record because of schedule rings a little hollow.

Toro
01-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Only two left now. Go Eagles!

Zeno
01-27-2005, 01:16 PM
The fighting Illini will win it all.

Duke is a lackluster and clumsy basketball team of weasels, crybabies, and drugged up former fry cooks, with a maniacal and overrated coach, that inhabit a vile and insidious University whose eradication from the planet would not only be a boon to basketball specifically, but a general nudge in the right direction for all of humanity.

-Zeno

Shajen
01-27-2005, 01:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The fighting Illini will win it all.

Duke is a lackluster and clumsy basketball team of weasels, crybabies, and drugged up former fry cooks, with a maniacal and overrated coach, that inhabit a vile and insidious University whose eradication from the planet would not only be a boon to basketball specifically, but a general nudge in the right direction for all of humanity.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Must be a UNC fan. Why the hate man?

Mano
01-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Looks like Illinois RPI isn't as high as one might expect, at least according to CollegeRPI.com (http://www.collegerpi.com/cy/rpi.html) .

Clarkmeister
01-27-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like Illinois RPI isn't as high as one might expect, at least according to CollegeRPI.com (http://www.collegerpi.com/cy/rpi.html) .

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because we got stuck playing Longwood and NW State because of the Vegas Tourney snafu. Playing teams in the bottom 250 disproportionately hurts your RPI when realistically, the #150 team is just as automatic a win as the #250 team. It's important to note how strong our top 100 schedule is and our W-L record vs the top 25 and top 50. But the bottom 200 thing is kind of bogus. If the calculations 'pretended' we never played those games, we'd likely have the #1 RPI as well.

7ontheline
01-27-2005, 02:49 PM
There's an article today in the Chicago Sun-Times that explains this RPI thing. Essentially, the reason Illinois is not higher is because some of the teams IL played are really bad (think Longwood, Chicago St). This drags down their RPI. However, it's not like they've been ducking good teams. In reality IL has as good non-conference wins as anybody (Wake, Cincinatti, Gonzaga). Also, margin of victory is not counted. This is why Kansas is still #1 even though 'Nova pasted them. This is also why IL doesn't get credit for crushing teams like Wake and Gonzaga.

As for Mebenhoe's contention that Duke is a better tournament team, I think that is ridiculous. I HATE Duke, but I am not about to go saying irrational insulting things about them. However, I think they will not do as a well in the tourney because they get offense out of so few players. If Redick and Ewing have an off-night, they're toast. IL is much more balanced, so it doesn't have to rely on one player. However, IL still has the talent to let a player like Head or Williams take over the game if necessary. I think Duke can beat anyone in the country - I just don't think they can win 7 in a row vs. the best teams.

EDIT: Dammit Clark, you beat me to it.

Mano
01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
If Illinois finishes undefeated, the RPI thing will be a non-factor. However, with a loss or two I could see the selection committee screwing them out of a top seed in favor of one of the more traditional basketball powers (Duke, Kansas, NC, etc.) and using the RPI as an excuse. Anyway, the beauty of college basketball is that it gets decided on the court in the end. Good luck.

Clarkmeister
01-27-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If Illinois finishes undefeated, the RPI thing will be a non-factor. However, with a loss or two I could see the selection committee screwing them out of a top seed in favor of one of the more traditional basketball powers (Duke, Kansas, NC, etc.) and using the RPI as an excuse. Anyway, the beauty of college basketball is that it gets decided on the court in the end. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would take 4 losses for IL to not get a #1 seed.

Mano
01-27-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm not saying a 3 loss Illinois team wouldn't deserve a #1 seed, but it would suprise me to see them get it over the big name teams with similar records.

Clarkmeister
01-27-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying a 3 loss Illinois team wouldn't deserve a #1 seed, but it would suprise me to see them get it over the big name teams with similar records.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understood your point, I just disagree. No one has gotten more pub than this team this year. Plus, it's not like Illinois is a no-name team. Granted, it's no Duke or UConn, but we did get a #1 seed with 7 losses back in 2000.

Zeno
01-27-2005, 10:33 PM
UNC? Does that mean the University of North Carolina? The Tarheels? No, not a fan. Not a fan of much of anything really. In addition, I do not 'hate Duke'. I just wanted to practice writing some villainous post and chose to malign Duke is all. I just picked this thread out of the blue. It was fun but not meant to be taken seriously.

Carry on.

-Zeno

Shajen
01-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Fair enough.

Nice rant though.

Maybe a little more anger next time. I know you can do it.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Clarkmeister
01-29-2005, 07:13 PM
An autopilot win against Minnesota today. 21-0 going to MSU to play for the Big Ten Championship. Nice to score 89 points on the day they wore throwback jerseys from the 89 Final Four team. Good to see Lou Henson there as well, glad to see him finally get some of the love he deserves.

bugstud
01-29-2005, 09:44 PM
the stadium needs substantially better concession stands

MarkL444
02-01-2005, 10:38 AM
better enjoy that perfect record while it lasts

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 12:18 PM
That's what the Bader fans said.

Frankly, I think if we win this game we go 39-0.

phillydilly
02-01-2005, 02:01 PM
GO STATE

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Good start for IL. 31-20. I don't like our D though, we are giving up TONS of open looks and its a matter of time before MSU starts making them. We need to step up our defensive intensity big time.

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Our D continues to be a major issue. Izzo is too good a coach to keep overplaying the trap like that, we will be giving up easy buckets all game which is suicide on the road. They are already exploiting it perfectly. Time to switch up and play some straight man for a bit.

mikeyvegas
02-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I just got home from work and this is just sad. Illinois hasn't missed a shot in like 10 minutes. I'm going to throw up.

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
better enjoy that perfect record while it lasts

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, I will. I'm starting to think I'll get to enjoy it forever.

Beatdown at Breslin. I love it.

mikeyvegas
02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
12 mins without missing a shot. They are playing alot better than in Wisconsin.

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 09:40 PM
C'mon, you know you were getting excited for a second there. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cubswin
02-01-2005, 09:57 PM
we got game

bugstud
02-01-2005, 09:59 PM
We need to make a shock collar for Dickie V.
It shocks him anytime he says UNC or Duke.

This way, young viewers get to hear about the TEAMS PLAYING THE DAMN GAME. I heard almost nothing about MSU this game...instead I get Dickie V blathering on about the ACC.

But, I must go drink in victory.

Ponks
02-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Good game MSU fans /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ponks

mikeyvegas
02-01-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Ponks

[/ QUOTE ]

Great game out there ponks, how many points did you score...

7ontheline
02-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Dickie V must die. The worst part is that since he broadcast the Wisc. game also, we had to listen to the EXACT SAME crap he spouted at that game - I swear it was word for word.

Oh yeah - the Illini pwn.

MarkL444
02-01-2005, 10:15 PM
These three things I KNOW are true:
-MSU never turns the ball over
-ILL cant shoot from behind the arc
-The Big Ten has some great officials

mikeyvegas
02-01-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we got game

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. That was an impressive 2nd half.

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 10:29 PM
To win basically back to back games @Bucky and @Sparty has me so psyched up right now. No mean feat.

MarkL444
02-01-2005, 10:32 PM
im pretty much just glad you decided not to bet me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 10:52 PM
That's alright, no need to heap on any additional anguish. Besides, MSU is like the only BT team other than IL that I actually like.

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 10:54 PM
BTW, did you see this quote by Oakland University Head Coach Greg Kampe Saturday night after the MSU game:

[ QUOTE ]

"Tom [Izzo] might get mad at me for saying this ... I live in the state of Michigan and I'm a Michigan person, but Illinois is the best basketball team we've ever played, in all my years of doing this. And we've played your national championship teams, and we've played your Final Four teams, (but) Illinois is the best team we've ever played. And I mean that far and away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ponks
02-01-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Ponks

[/ QUOTE ]

Great game out there ponks, how many points did you score...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I had any, why?

Ponks

Clarkmeister
02-01-2005, 11:19 PM
I can't resist.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/cgwilli1/izzowned.jpg

MarkL444
02-01-2005, 11:22 PM
izzowned? damn we pretty much asked for that one.

Clarkmeister
02-02-2005, 01:11 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-02/16107080.jpg

Clarkmeister
02-02-2005, 01:18 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8154692

EAST LANSING, Mich. -- Perfection is waiting on Illinois, stretching out like a plush orange carpet. Perfection is the Illini's challenge. Perfection is their mandate.

The No. 1 Illini did to Michigan State what they've done to so many other excellent opponents this season, swarming the No. 12 Spartans 81-68 Tuesday night. Eight regular-season games remain, plus the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments, but Illinois' biggest opponent now is the ghost of 1976 Indiana -- the last college basketball team to finish the season without a loss.

The Illini (22-0) have beaten the daylights out of Gonzaga and Wake Forest and Cincinnati. They've ended Wisconsin's 38-game home winning streak, and they've sullied Michigan State's 10-0 home record this season.

Now that they've gotten past Michigan State and the Breslin Center crowd of 14,759, the Illini have no business losing this season. Not once. Anything less than perfection, and Illinois will have underachieved.

That's a harsh gauntlet to lay down, but so be it. The facts demand it. Illinois' situation has changed dramatically since October or November, when everyone knew the Illini would be good -- but not this good. Just a few months ago, the 2005 national championship was a lofty goal for the Illini, reachable but worthy.

It's not a worthy goal now. Not any more. Winning it all? That's not good enough for these Illini, who are better than merely the best team in college basketball. They are good enough to be perfect, especially with what promises to be the perfect postseason itinerary.

If the Illini can make it through the regular season unscathed, they'll be the de facto home team in every game they play the rest of the way. The Big Ten Tournament is March 10-13 at the United Center in Chicago. For the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament, the Illini expect to be sent to the Indianapolis pod. For the next two rounds, the Illini probably will go to the Chicago regional.

And then the Final Four is in St. Louis.

Illinois fans won't have to get on a plane again. Neither will Illinois.

That kind of unusual home-court advantage through March, coupled with this kind of unusually talented team, has Illinois on the threshold of perfection. Michigan State coach Tom Izzo tried not to put too much pressure on Illinois and Bruce Weber, even apologizing at times for what he was about to say, but his postgame comment made clear what should already be clear to everyone:

The only team that can stop Illinois is Illinois.

"That's one of the best (teams) I've seen," Izzo said. "I just don't see them having the mental letdown. No egos there -- there's not an ego on the team. You can just tell by the way they play. There's no distractions. It's getting like a rock-group tour where everybody's following them, but you've got four or five seniors and I think they're prepared to handle that.

"I hate to be a predictor, but I like their chances. I think a team's going to have to play awfully well, and (Illinois is) going to have to have more than a few guys play poorly."

College basketball has been waiting nearly 30 years for another perfect national champion. Larry Bird-led Indiana State came awfully close in 1979, taking an undefeated record into the NCAA championship game, where it lost to Michigan State. Those Spartans had Magic Johnson at point guard. The closest thing these Spartans have to Magic Johnson is an enormous statue outside the Breslin Center.

The closest thing these Spartans have to a point guard is senior Chris Hill, a natural shooting guard who has sacrificed his shooting (he's hitting 40.2 percent overall from the floor and 38 percent on 3-pointers, down from 50 percent overall and 45.4 percent on 3's as a junior) to become the point guard Drew Neitzel was supposed to be.

Neitzel, a 6-0 freshman and the state of Michigan's 2004 Mr. Basketball winner from Grand Rapids, may still be the Spartans' point guard of the future -- but only because Hill is a senior.

As for the Illini, they're brimming with point guards.

"It's like they've got three," Izzo said.

Deron Williams is Illinois' point guard deluxe, so strong, skilled and savvy, but Dee Brown and Luther Head also could start at there. All three were excellent Tuesday night, combining for 54 points and making 11-of-20 3-pointers while swarming the Michigan State backcourt into ineffectiveness. The Spartans offense was at its best when it went through power forward Alan Anderson or even center Paul Davis.

Illinois' backcourt is so good, so mature, that it neutralized the Spartans' rabid home crowd. Students who already had tickets for the game nonetheless were lining up at 6 a.m. Tuesday to get the best seats in the house. Check the weather for East Lansing, Mich. -- it's cold here at 6 a.m.

It was hot inside the Breslin Center at 6 p.m., one hour before tip-off, when the Illini emerged from their locker room to find the Izzone filled with white-shirted, green-faced students booing each Illini player by name and cheering for every missed shot ... during warm-ups. A circle nine rows deep, the Izzone bathed the court in chaotic noise.

In the rafters, another six rows of Izzone surrounded the top of the Breslin Center. That's what happens when you don't wake up at 6 a.m.

What happens when you play Illinois? You lose, and more times than not you lose badly. Only three of Illinois' first 22 foes have stayed within single digits, a body of evidence that is hard even for the confident Brown to believe.

"Sometimes it's like, 'Wow -- how did we go out there and play that well against that team?'" Brown said. "I'm serious. Cincinnati, Gonzaga, Wake Forest -- we've beaten some tough teams in some tough places."

Not many tough places left.

Half the Big Ten schedule remains, but Illinois has survived its two toughest league games -- by far -- by winning at Wisconsin and Michigan State. None of Illinois' four road opponents (Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, Ohio State) is even .500 in league play, though Iowa on Feb. 19 could be tricky.

Illinois also has to contend with Wisconsin on Feb. 12, but we're saying it right now: Illinois' perfect run won't end at home. The Illini have been almost unbeatable at Assembly Hall, where their 74-3 record since 1999 is the best in the country -- and Illinois racked up most of that record with teams nowhere near as good as this one. This season, the Illini have won their 11 home games by an average 23.1-point margin.

Weber says it's too early to talk about going 16-0 in the Big Ten, much less 37-0 on the season.

"If we get to 12-0, 13-0, we'll start talking about going undefeated," Weber said. "But that's a long way off."

It is indeed. But we can see it from here.

gvibes
02-02-2005, 02:21 PM
I like the quote I read this morning (forgot exactly where) that said (roughly): "From this point in the season, Illinois' most difficult opponent is the ghost of the 1975-75 Indiana team."

Clarkmeister
02-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Completely expected, but it never gets old beating the snot out of the Hoosiers. 5 in a row against the hicks. I love it.

tbach24
02-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Just wait until they have to face Powerhouse UMass. That will be a slaughter. UMass is the best.

josh1122
02-08-2005, 09:15 PM
Bump for tonight's game. Trouble in Michigan, Illini currently down 34-26 early in second half...

EDIT: And not shooting very well either.

J_V
02-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Still going on, but Dee Brown sure has the heart of a lion. He's never gonna quit this season and he gets tougher as the situations get more adverse. He's the man.

Cubswin
02-08-2005, 09:27 PM
9:30 left in the 2nd and michigan has only been called for 4 fouls... thats a nice home court advantage.

Cubswin
02-08-2005, 09:28 PM
12 vs 4 on the fouls... unreal

Cubswin
02-08-2005, 09:59 PM
<font color="orange">... and then there was one </font>

Clarkmeister
02-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Dee is the eternal face of Illinois basketball. Dude has so much heart it's sick.

Clarkmeister
02-08-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
9:30 left in the 2nd and michigan has only been called for 4 fouls... thats a nice home court advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what happens when you forget to get the ball inside. Good job by Amaker taking a page from Indiana with the mix of zone and man and the stall on offense to keep IL out of rythm. The boys look a little tired too. Weber needs to look into cutting their minutes a little as we approach the tourney.

Cubswin
02-08-2005, 11:11 PM
"the first time Illinois was trailing at half-time this year"

They have said this at least a half dozen times tonight on ESPN... dont they have anyone checking these 'facts'. IL was dowe 6 at half-time to Purdue earlier this year

gonores
02-12-2005, 02:54 PM
Bucky is putting up another good fight today. Unfortunately, they are not going to win, as they aren't hitting a damn thing from the line.

Clarkmeister
02-12-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bucky is putting up another good fight today. Unfortunately, they are not going to win, as they aren't hitting a damn thing from the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

They played better than I thought they would.

Clarkmeister
02-12-2005, 04:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Clarkmeister/marchtothearch.jpg

Clarkmeister
02-12-2005, 04:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Clarkmeister/augie.jpg

MEbenhoe
02-12-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Clarkmeister/augie.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

72-62 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ponks
02-12-2005, 05:22 PM
What a game, that was fun. This was a pretty exciting game to be at, but still nothing like the Wake Forest game. I think I saw about 5 Wisconsin fans in the whole place when I looked around, the rest was a sea of orange.

Ponks

MEbenhoe
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
http://img227.exs.cx/img227/6103/110839200403262229001lg9ch.jpg

http://img227.exs.cx/img227/2856/110848200403262230001lg0xr.jpg

Clarkmeister
02-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Saw an interesting statistic today to refute those who suggest it's a "good thing" to lose a game before the tournament, something I think is total garbage:

Since the NCAA Tournament begain, teams with 1 loss are 6/53 (11%) to win the tournament. Teams with 0 losses, however, are 7 of 17 (41%). The % of zero loss teams compared to one loss teams going to the Final Four is similarly lopsided.

nolanfan34
02-16-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm not surprised. I also agree that the "good thing to lose a game" theory is stupid. All that does is show that you can be beaten.

Yes, there will be a lot of pressure for your Illini if they're undefeated going into the tourney. But so what? There's going to be pressure regardless of what their record is.

I, for one, want to see them run the table to the championship, at least to guarantee that the title game will be interesting.

Clarkmeister
02-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Let's put it like this. I'd rather be good enough to go undefeated, than not be good enough to go undefeated.

__Q__
02-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, the whole good to lose thing is stupid. Thats like hoping to lose with AA vs. KK early in a tournament so that you can win the same match up later on. Its just silly.

I'm a badger, and its just a shame that Devin Harris isn't still around. It would have definitely made for a great race in the big ten. But anyone who has been watching illinois for the past 3 years shouldn't be the slightest bit suprised that Illinios. Last year Deron Williams was one of the best players in basketball and didn't get any national attention. I'm glad he's getting it this year.

Clarkmeister
02-16-2005, 04:36 PM
GREAT article on Dee Brown in today's Chicago Sun-Times, just brimming with awesome quotes.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- What's your favorite part about Dee Brown's game?

(a) His gift for coming up with steals on demand, when Illinois needs them most.

(b) The way he has become a deadly, clutch three-point shooter.

(c) His flair for making highlight-reel passes but rarely making them just to show off.

(d) His old-school approach.

If you said "all of the above,'' I wouldn't quibble.

But lately, I'm starting to favor (d). Because it seems to sum up Dee.

The upbeat, personable kid who arrived in Champaign from Proviso East nearly three years ago is wearing his game face more often these days.

I asked him a standard question the other day about getting up for a game tonight against struggling Penn State. And I got an earful back.

"C'mon, Herb,'' he said. "You shouldn't even ask me that. These are the biggest games, bigger than Wisconsin, bigger than anybody. These games get you your rings. If you lose these games, you're right back on your butt. It's that simple.

"I'm not going to give you a dumb answer so you can quote me in the paper. I'm going to give you all the correct answers you want to hear. These are the types of games I get pumped for. You saw that I got pumped for this game last year.''

No doubt. With Deron Williams and James Augustine in foul trouble and the Illini trailing 36-35, Brown knocked down six straight shots, five of them from beyond the three-point arc, to lead Illinois past the Nittany Lions 66-58. Avoiding a major setback, Illinois went on to win its first outright Big Ten title since 1952.

It is human nature, though, not to be as energized for a game like Penn State. Bruce Weber has talked about it. The Illini have shown it with some surprisingly close victories against struggling teams. And Luther Head acknowledged it was an issue when the Illini needed Brown to bail them out a year ago in State College.

"Last year, we didn't look at this as a big game,'' Head said. "We were kind of slacking off. We weren't playing with as much energy. This year, we'll try to play as hard as we've played all year.''

If they don't, they might just hear about it from Brown.

"We're going to win these games, and we're going to get our championship rings,'' Brown said. "It's that simple.''

No doubt, the Illini are weary of talk that North Carolina is a better team and predictions that the Tar Heels will win if and when they meet. But some players are handling what they consider a disrespectful opinion better than others.

Brown is not one of those. That's what makes him so old-school. Don't be fooled by the braids. Underneath them is a pure love of the game that's reminiscent of Mike Ditka's 1965 crewcut.

"What's bothering me is, I don't like all this attention,'' he said. "I just want to play basketball.''

That's one of many things eating at him.

"A lot of people won't let you just play basketball,'' he said. "They want to peck at you and knock you off your roost, your path to glory, your path to victory. Which is crazy. But that's what it is nowadays. That's the way the game is watched.''

Could we be talking about North Carolina? The thrice-beaten Tar Heels, who looked befuddled on the last possession of their one-point loss at Duke last week? The Illini had to look at the way Carolina didn't even get a shot off and think their defense can do what Duke's did.

"If North Carolina was No. 1, they'd be an NBA team,'' Brown said. "They'd be everything. They wouldn't get picked at. When they lose, you don't hear about that. If Duke was No. 1, you wouldn't hear about that.''

If I'm Weber, I love this chip-on-the-shoulder attitude. Don't be fooled into thinking it's merely whining, either.

For Brown, there's a genuine disappointment that while people appreciate Illinois' team-oriented approach, they don't appreciate it enough in a world where high school hot shots get rich and famous in the NBA without knowing the fundamentals that can elevate a team like Illinois to the heights it has reached.

"We're what teams should be,'' Brown said. "Nobody's jealous of each other. You usually hear about someone shooting too much or [complaining] about playing time. With us, sometimes people get mad at players for not shooting the basketball. That's unheard of. Here, everyone shares the ball. Everyone plays the game with an unselfish attitude.''

To those who insist on wondering whether Illinois' game will hold up against the traditional powers, Brown offered a response that could have come out of a coach's manual.

"A lot of teams would be better than they are if they would stick to team-oriented,'' he said. "When they stick to 'I,' they never play good.''

Talk about old-school. The poster child for Illinois basketball, as Weber calls him, isn't smiling as much these days.

But that's looking like a very good thing for Illinois basketball.

gvibes
02-16-2005, 05:43 PM
The following is a link to a sweet scan from the SI a few weeks ago. 1152 x whatever.

I didn't want to desiplay the image here, because this thread comes out wide enough.

The Guards (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nhamstra/images/theguards.jpg)

EDIT: Ahh, screw it, it's a good picture. Will remove upon request.
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nhamstra/images/theguards.jpg

Cubswin
02-19-2005, 03:13 PM
12 more to go /images/graemlins/grin.gif

hey MEbenhoe... youve been quite quiet this week... is there a reason??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bugstud
02-19-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

hey MEbenhoe... youve been quite quiet this week... is there a reason??? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

given it's this forum, that deserves a PWN

but that game was uuuuuuuuuugly

7ontheline
02-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah, not much bleating from the Duke or Kansas fans after this past week. The silence is the sweetest victory of all.

Clarkmeister
02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Ugly Schmugly. The team is not only undefeated, they only have 4 total wins that were by less than 10 points - 5, 6, 6 and 9. Lots of teams would love to have a season where no one can come closer than 5 points and 10 point road wins are considered ugly. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

MEbenhoe
02-21-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you watch the Wake Forest game yesterday? I think they can be forgiven for a bad game. All I care about is who's quiet come tourney time. I still say you have to consider Duke to be a strong Final 4 contender.

P.S. I've also been quiet due to me being in the Twin Cities all weekend.

offTopic
02-21-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ugly Schmugly. The team is not only undefeated, they only have 4 total wins that were by less than 10 points - 5, 6, 6 and 9. Lots of teams would love to have a season where no one can come closer than 5 points and 10 point road wins are considered ugly. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside: That wasn't you that called in to ESPN Radio yesterday morning, was it? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Cubswin
02-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Looks like the Illini have enough to take care of NW at halftime.....

11 more to go

Ponks
02-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Haha, fun game.

Ponks

Clarkmeister
02-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Now serving, number 29.

Clarkmeister
02-27-2005, 09:18 PM
MSU loss at IU makes Illinois back to back outright Big Ten Champions! That's also 4 of the last 5 years, and the year that the Illini didn't win the conference, they won they conference tourney.

Congrats to all the players and the coaching staff. Quite an accomplishment. Special congrats to coach Weber who came in during a maelstrom and wins back to back outright titles for the first time since 1951 and 52! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Clarkmeister
03-01-2005, 08:12 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/seth_davis/02/28/davis.thoughts.030105/tx_sicover.jpg

nolanfan34
03-01-2005, 08:36 PM
I think you're OK here. Clearly what will be jinxed is Venezuelan baseball.

riffraff
03-01-2005, 08:59 PM
I think it will be Dee Brown on Dream Job who will be jinxed.

Cubswin
03-03-2005, 11:03 PM
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Looks like the last plane trip for the Illini this season will be this weekend when they go to OSU /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
03-04-2005, 04:45 AM
Check out this quote from Gene Keady, who has been around the block a few times:

"I think [Illinois is] maybe the best team with three guards that I've ever seen in the history of basketball, and I saw UCLA when it had Walt Hazzard and Cincinnati when it had Oscar Robertson."

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Great start vs OSU for the undefeated regular season. Such good defense. Where's Dead, are you watching how the zone does nothing to slow down this O? Goddamn this team is so fun to watch, and not just if you are an Illinois fan like me. Game on CBS right now.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Check out this quote from Gene Keady, who has been around the block a few times:

"I think [Illinois is] maybe the best team with three guards that I've ever seen in the history of basketball, and I saw UCLA when it had Walt Hazzard and Cincinnati when it had Oscar Robertson."

[/ QUOTE ]

Keady is off his rocker and bias. Cmon Bruce Weber is one of his boys what do you expect?

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 01:25 PM
How about Wooden then:

[ QUOTE ]
``I thought that was one of the finest performances I've seen in awhile''
Quoth John Wooden after the University of Illinois men's basketball team beat down Gonzaga. It isn't often that John Wooden has much praise for modern basketball, but after watching the Fighting Illini dominate the Zags on a neutral court he seemed positively effusive

[/ QUOTE ]

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm not saying that they're not a very good basketball team, but to list them as the best ever in any sort of way is ridiculous.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I agree there.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark that down. Clarkmeister and MEbenhoe agree on something related to college basketball. That was just history right there /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cubswin
03-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm not saying that they're not a very good basketball team, but to list them as the best ever in any sort of way is ridiculous.

We can talk about that after 10 more wins

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if they would win out, I just don't see them on the same level as the back to back Cincy national championship teams, the UCLA dynasty era teams, or the back to back Duke national championship teams.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Whoops. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brain
03-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Whoops indeed, Clark.

IggyWH
03-06-2005, 03:04 PM
NM

bugstud
03-06-2005, 03:05 PM
not to bitch, but there never called dials on fouls, over the back and the body contact on the block with like 70 secs to go.

OSU played one helluva half of basketball, though. Can't deny that.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Luther almost had that for an accidental alley-oop too. That would've been sweet.

bugstud
03-06-2005, 03:08 PM
the play where luther got called for a goaltend...was it?

I wished they showed a replay of that.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:09 PM
They showed almost no replays of anything close I noticed. Thought it was odd,b ut that's becoming typical in a lot of sports other than the NFL.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 65-64!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

mmbt0ne
03-06-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm sure they were just looking ahead to the second round matchup with GT. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thad Matta is the #1 killer apparently.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 65-64!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now even if Duke loses to UNC this has still made my day.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:15 PM
I am so glad that this program has gotten to the point where people root for it to lose the way people root against the Yankees or *gasp* Dook. That says a lot, and its right where I always hoped the program would be. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am so glad that this program has gotten to the point where people root for it to lose the way people root against the Yankees or *gasp* Dook. That says a lot, and its right where I always hoped the program would be. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, you're not at that point. I'm pretty sure I'm one of the very few out there who roots for the Illini to lose. And the only reason I do is in the hope that I can make fun of you /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bugstud
03-06-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:17 PM
2 irritating things:

1. That was their only lead of the game. That stinks, and the fact that we didn't overdefend the 3pt line is unforgivable considering how exhausted Dials was. We should have really been quite happy to go into OT.

2. Now I'm going to have to hear all the idiots say how it was "good" that we lost to "get it out of the way". Bull. Losing is never good. Dumbest theory ever.

nolanfan34
03-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Sports Illustrated does it again.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:22 PM
BTW, here's something interesting. Before the game on Pinnacle, Illinois was +338 to win it all. After the game, they are at +312. Apparently, in addition to idiot columnists, idiot sports bettors also buy the "it's good to lose a game" nonsense.

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I'm going to have to hear all the idiots say how it was "good" that we lost to "get it out of the way". Bull. Losing is never good. Dumbest theory ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing basketball fan down the hall from me says when I'm telling him about Illinois losing(he turned game off at halftime thinking it was over). "Well that'll be good for them, cuz thats the one loss they needed before the touney"

MEbenhoe
03-06-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hahaha nh

Brain
03-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Well, there was that one foul when Luther (I think) faked a 3 and jumped through an OSU guy. That's a foul on the shooter, not the defender. I didn't pay close attention to most of the second half though either.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif

Cubswin
03-06-2005, 03:36 PM
I didnt get to watch the last 2 minutes because i am trying to let a room in my apartment... maybe it worked out for the best. What was with that goal tend call though? that was the game right there. Its good to be the home team i guess.

The plane flight back to willard will be a long one today... but at least it will be the last one of the year /images/graemlins/smile.gif

nolanfan34
03-06-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you finally found an eye-rolling emoticon! NH.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you finally found an eye-rolling emoticon! NH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Desperately needed around here. See how much typing that little emoticon saved me? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:42 PM
The illiniboard is totally imploding. Pretty funny actually.

So much traffic that the server there just crashed. I haven't seen it do that since Self left.

nolanfan34
03-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Are you the only one on there not freaking out right now? I think it's too bad they lost, but it doesn't change how they'll do in the tournament, IMO.

bugstud
03-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I also wonder why Weber didn't use a TO with 2.2 to go to get better personnel on the floor.

goddamn one point, abysmal 3pt%, FT%, no OSU turnovers second half...

lotta bullshit rolled together.

OSU, enjoy your probation

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also wonder why Weber didn't use a TO with 2.2 to go to get better personnel on the floor.

goddamn one point, abysmal 3pt%, FT%, no OSU turnovers second half...

lotta bullshit rolled together.

OSU, enjoy your probation

[/ QUOTE ]

It's our fault. I like to think that if you are good enough, you shouldn't worry about the officials except in extreme cases (E8 game vs Arizona). Our game management at the end sucked, both defensively on the last posession (force them to make a 2, you do NOT give them a 3), and offensively the last 3 minutes (just run the offense and take the first good look, stop ensuring that there is less than 5 secs on the shot clock before you try for a look). Bad 2nd half D, bad FT shooting (I've never been convinced this team was as good as our % had been), and a terrible offensive game from both Deron and Dee. Augustine played great though, that was very encouraging against a guy like Dials. Really, I blame the loss on Weber, certainly not on the officials.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you the only one on there not freaking out right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.phog.tv/images/ibmeltdown.jpg

bugstud
03-06-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you the only one on there not freaking out right now? I think it's too bad they lost, but it doesn't change how they'll do in the tournament, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'll affect the team.

Anyway, I also wondered about Rafferty's reference to luther not liking being the first one out in the rotation...an interesting comment to say the least.

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 05:06 PM
BTW, regarding your question about the wierd Luther goaltending call - in the press conference it came out that Hartzel (the same guy who blew the call in the Bucky-IU game last week) admitted to Weber that he blew the call.

mikeyvegas
03-06-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To be fair, I'm talking about running em all, not just the regular season. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not going to happen. If the 90-91 UNLV team coundn't do it, not team will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
03-06-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To be fair, I'm talking about running em all, not just the regular season. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not going to happen. If the 90-91 UNLV team coundn't do it, not team will.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Far be it from me to deny you your moment of glory for the one thing you managed to get right in this thread. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

DangerGoodson
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
My Badgers are going to take it to you guys tomorrow. (But still end up with a 6 seed, like last year. /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

bugstud
03-12-2005, 09:43 PM
I think Bucky is going to get broken again

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My Badgers are going to take it to you guys tomorrow. (But still end up with a 6 seed, like last year. /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so thoroughly going to enjoy watching us wax Bucky for the 3rd time this year. Total ownage. I absolutely love it.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 02:52 AM
As the BTT comes to a close and the NCAA is around the corner, the team is simply not playing well. Frankly, they haven't played real well since the MSU game, which basically locked up a #1 seed and the Big Ten Championship for them.

Two things happened then. First, this is a team that really doesn't get as up if they don't feel its a challenge. Second, Coach Weber publicly stated he was cutting back practices to keep them fresh for the tourney. I think that has had a material impact on an offense that was totally unstoppable early in the season, but since has become lazy and turnover prone. This team needs the practice. The schedule was soft late in the year, they should be fresh. I hope they can re-find their execution.

2 keys for them in the tourney will be the sudden emergence of Augustine who has been a beast the last 18 games, and the outside shooting of Deron Williams, who really needs to take more of an assertive role in the offense. Dee and Luther are pretty consistent, and if James gets plays run for him and Deron starts becoming more assertive, it will only help Luther and Dee get more open.

Fortunately, their defense is beyond reproach, and carries them in games where they aren't clicking on O. They've led by at least 12 in every game this year, so no one has really been able to come close to shutting them down, and they've had quite a few very low % games. Defense is what's doing it and I hope they keep it up. Same as with the offense, keeping Deron and Augustine out of foul trouble is very critical for this squad.

In short, I hope we crush the fcuking cheesheads tomorrow and can use the recent loss to OSU and the tragedy to befall our coach's family to bond and find a common focus down the stretch. If they play their best on both ends, I really don't think they can be beat. But they haven't played their best on offense in quite a while, so it will be with some interest that I watch the brackets as I really want to play teams that do NOT play good D. Teams like Pitt, OSU, etc I want to avoid. Let me play Wake Forest or Louisville.

Time to put the finishing touches on a magical season that I will always remember regardless of the outcome. Oskee wow wow.

Go Illini!

DangerGoodson
03-13-2005, 04:46 AM
Anyone want to bet on the over/under for turnovers on Illinois tomorrow, I say 25 is a good number.

DangerGoodson
03-13-2005, 04:47 AM
oh yeah. FUC"EM BUCKY!

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone want to bet on the over/under for turnovers on Illinois tomorrow, I say 25 is a good number.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the "under 25 - number of Illinois turnovers in the BTT championship game" for any amount you name up to $5k.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the "under 25 - number of Illinois turnovers in the BTT championship game" for any amount you name up to $5k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Bucky fan? What's the scoop?

DangerGoodson
03-13-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Bucky fan? What's the scoop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, just got up from drunken pass out. Celebrating Alando's shot and our impending 2nd straight Big Ten Tournament Title.

eh, we could bet money if you would like, but I find "other" bets more attractive. I was thinking something like this. If I win you have to change your avatar to a photo of Bucky of my chosing and your location to "being owned by Bucky" for one whole week starting from 6 P.M today to 6 P.M. next Sunday. You also have to make a minimum of 10 posts during the week.(shouldn't be hard) Of course these terms will work better on you than me, because I don't post nearly as much as you do on this site, nor command the repect from fellow posters as you do, but you could probably come up with similar terms for me.

Altough as a man of my (drunken) word I'm still willing to bet on 25 turnovers, I have to admit that number is very high and basically I would be giving you the win. I would much rather bet on the outcome of the game, seeing as how the way your team shots the 3, you guys could committ 40 turnovers and still win, so where's the fun for me in that. Yeah, I won the bet, but my team still lost what counted.

-Thoughts

Danger

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 01:44 PM
1 week avatar and location bet is acceptible as long as you also post the required 10 times. As you mentioned, my prolific posting more than offsets the bad line you set as its so much more visible if I lose. I'll either give you the "my little pony" avatar or an Illini related one if I win. Push is a push.

Deal?

DangerGoodson
03-13-2005, 02:19 PM
deal.

gonores
03-13-2005, 03:23 PM
I was just thinking I had the perfect avatar for you if I were to wager with you on this game (and I think I know the one you'd choose for me)....oh well, I guess there's always next week.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was just thinking I had the perfect avatar for you if I were to wager with you on this game (and I think I know the one you'd choose for me)....oh well, I guess there's always next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too bad you left town early like a pussy. Seriously - what self-respecting guy leaves Vegas *early*??

gonores
03-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I didn't leave *early*. I chose not to delay my flight out so i could make it back to Madtown *on time* for a basketball weekend.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't leave *early*. I chose not to delay my flight out so i could make it back to Madtown *on time* for a basketball weekend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, because 0-3 loserville is a better place to be than Vegas for a big basketball weekend. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

gonores
03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
At least I wasnt out on a date w/ Ed Miller while Dougiefish and The Dude were putting down Jagermeister and White Russians like water and getting accused of collusion by 3/6 all-stars

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At least I wasnt out on a date w/ Ed Miller while Dougiefish and The Dude were putting down Jagermeister and White Russians like water and getting accused of collusion by 3/6 all-stars

[/ QUOTE ]

If Dougiefish wouldn't sneak out of town he could've stayed for a great weekend of fun.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 04:45 PM
PS - If you had a bottle of Tabasco instead of that gay Preying Mantis thing you might've done better. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 05:16 PM
As the BTT comes to a close and the NCAA is around the corner, the team is simply not playing well.

The D and rebounding sure looks good today.... got to give some credit for wisky for their D to this point in the game....

gonores
03-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Who says I did poorly? I only dropped $400 in that 3/6 game. And BTW, the Praying Mantis and Tabasco are not mutually exclusive items. The Praying Mantis is just a betting-style, and it is rock solid. I literally had one guy in tears laughing at mantis-style betting.

PS - To make up for my thread-hijacking, I guess I ought to mention some basketball. I put my life-savings on the under for this game, and am feeling quite good.

Cubswin
03-13-2005, 06:10 PM
some tired legs down the stretch in this one???

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.timelesstrinkets.com/MyLittlePony/Images/Labels/MLPBeachball.jpg

Loc: Having my first period.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 06:18 PM
0-3

All by double digits.

Suck it. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

DangerGoodson
03-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Tear.

bugstud
03-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Pwned

DangerGoodson
03-13-2005, 06:30 PM
nice D today, too good.

Clarkmeister
03-13-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nice D today, too good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. It's pretty key because there will be games like today where the shots aren't falling. We'll need to keep the D up to advance to the ultimate goal. Plus, it's a great rivalry and it's always a good win against Wisky.

bugstud
03-13-2005, 06:33 PM
imagine how nasty the game is if Dee shoots at his season norm /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Jim Kuhn
03-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Sweet Sixteen!! The big guys are coming around!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Cubswin
03-20-2005, 07:19 PM
I went to the illinois/nevada game on the spur of the moment... sat up in the bleachers but moved to some better seats. Huge crowd there for this one... lots of orange. The Illini are now 2-0 when i attend their games this years.... so i think all of the illini fans out there should pool their money together to send me to the final 4 /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
03-25-2005, 03:46 PM
We still aren't looking our best as we head into the E8 game to get to the final four. Luther's hammy looks to be somewhat serious. However, our D still is carrying us and that should be a big help against Arizona. I hope the crowd is really into it and can help this team get to the Final Four. The UWM game continued this teams streak of leading EVERY game it played in this year by at least 12 points at one time or another.

I still think our keys are the same as I did at the beginning of the tourney.

1. Deron Williams out of foul trouble and hitting his shots.
2. James Augustine continuing to be somewhat of a focus for us on offense.
3. Play 40 mins of great defense and rebound.

Now I need to add in a 4. Luther be healthy.

Big game tomorrow, but they are all big now.

Cubswin
03-25-2005, 08:31 PM
This thraed has not seen much attention lately and im not sure why....

My one concern other then LH's hammy is the number of minutes our starters played yesterday in a fast paced game... hope they dont tighten up in the 2nd half of the game manana. Also hope ALL starters stay out of foul trouble this time around against AZ...

Clarkmeister
03-25-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in honor of lil jon

When they (Illinois) steps into the kohl center...what they goin do? [censored]
what they goin do? [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just saw this and laughed

Clarkmeister
03-25-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whos is that one AP fugger who voted for Duke???

[/ QUOTE ]

Duke is the better team. They will go farther come tournament time, and they have a better chance of winning the national championship than Illinois.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim Kuhn
03-25-2005, 11:14 PM
I think keeping Augustine out of foul trouble is also key. The three guards are all very strong. Ingram has looked very good the past few games. If we need to bring Nick Smith in we are in trouble!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Jim Kuhn
03-25-2005, 11:15 PM
The Big Ten is looking to be very underrated!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Thoughts first, then a post with some photos.

This team was dead in the water. Outplayed by a team that looked better for the last 3:00 of the first half and most of the second half. Weber refused to stop trapping and Arizona kept exploiting it. Finally, he stopped trapping in the half-court and was forced to press full-court. But the OT posessions where we also stopped trapping helped because the offensive rebounds we'd been letting them get stayed in our hands.

What can I say? I was just sad with 5:00 to go that a team I feel has been the best in the country all year would forever have to listen to people say "they weren't that good." That's what bothered me. Not that they got outplayed by a team that took what the defense gave them, but that they wouldn't ever get full credit for the unbelievable season they had. All the naysayers who picked them to lose to Wake, Cinci, at Wisconsin, at MSU, at Iowa, in the BTT, against Nevada, UWM, they could be right one time out of 10 and claim victory, that "they were right all along" because they were right in 10% of their picks against Illinois. Whatever happens now, that can't happen. Get to the Final Four and they can't take that from you. No one questions the 89 Flyin' Illini teams greatness and no one will question this team - not after that comeback.

Congrats to the team and to coach who have all had quite a run the last two years. While I hope we win it all and I still think this is the best team in the country, at this point I'm willing to accept whatever comes. I still feel like we lost and can't believe we won that game after just flat getting outplayed for a 20-minute straight stretch across two halves. Wow.

Illiniboard game thread here. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=2014901&amp;page=0&amp;view=colla psed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=2&amp;fpart=1)

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 12:50 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/ILRG106032620_1024x768.jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050327/capt.ilrg12503270254.ncaa_arizona_illinois_ilrg125 .jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050327/capt.ilrg13103270322.ncaa_arizona_illinois_ilrg131 .jpg

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050327/capt.ilrg13003270318.ncaa_arizona_illinois_ilrg130 .jpg

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/5121/524833279yo.jpg

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/773/524833075hf.jpg

http://img58.exs.cx/img58/6880/524832602gm.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~j.livengood/bruce.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~j.livengood/victory.JPG

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/locke04/WebervsNevada03-19-05small.jpg

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-03/16872989.jpg

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2005-03/16873017.jpg

http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/52439772JD018_Arizona_Wildc032622_1024x768.jpg

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we didn't tank last year, there's no way we can tank this year. With all the injuries, player rebellion, new system, negative press, etc and they still managed to win the Big Ten outright.

In my view, an Elite 8 is a good but not great year. Anything further is great, anything less is a big disappointment.

It's important to have a strong regular season too since that would allow us to stay home in Chicago for the regional finals and then move on to St. Louis for the Final Four. Man, lots in our favor this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my 2nd post in this thread. Heh.

sublime
03-27-2005, 12:59 PM
clark-

i am glad you get to feel what a lot of us felt back in october. i will be rooting for webbers pack just because it seems to mean so much to you/cubs etc.

good luck /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Good fair NYTimes article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/27/sports/ncaabasketball/27rhoden.html

Unbelievably, They Made New Believers
By WILLIAM C. RHODEN

Published: March 27, 2005

osemont, Ill.

LIKE everyone outside Illini Nation, I wondered how the University of Illinois had done it.

Before last night, Illinois had to be one of the most lightly regarded No. 1 teams in college basketball history. Last night, it showed the nation why it had been on top for 15 weeks and had won 35 of 36 games, advancing to its first Final Four in 16 years.

Advertisement

If Louisville's comeback from 20 points behind West Virginia was improbable, Illinois's 90-89 comeback to win its 36th game of the season was downright unbelievable.

Louisville had an entire half to catch up. The Illini's rally came out of the blue. They were down by 15 points with 4 minutes 4 seconds left, and there wasn't much sign of a pulse - not on the floor and not in the stands, especially not in the stands.

You could almost hear the soul-searching - the pondering of what effect a tournament loss would have on a great season.

Just like that, Illinois leaped back to life: a 3-pointer, a basket in the lane, a score after a steal, a basket and then a steal, leading to another basket.

We looked up, and Illinois had pulled to 80-77 with 45.3 seconds remaining, the arena roaring with delayed-reaction hysteria. Jack Ingram tipped an Arizona inbounds pass, and after a crazy scramble, Illinois came up with the ball. Deron Williams, a junior guard and hereby nominated as Illinois's most valuable player of the decade, nailed a 3-pointer to tie the score.

Williams not only scored 22 points, but he also led a defensive effort that held Salim Stoudamire to 2-for-13 shooting and 9 points.

Williams hit two 3-pointers in overtime, and Luther Head, a senior guard virtually playing on one leg because of a pulled hamstring, hobbled in for a breakaway layup to give Illinois a 90-84 lead.

The Illini miracle continues.

Illinois's James Augustine said: "My body is just shaking right now. I can't explain what this feels like. I think we might just be jumping around on the bus the whole way back." Illinois guard Dee Brown simply said, "It was just meant to be."

The team wins 35 of 36 games and spends 15 weeks at the top of the rankings, yet before yesterday, no one looked at Illinois and shivered.

Opponents were more likely to look at Illinois and salivate. After Oklahoma State lost to Arizona on Thursday in the Chicago Regional semifinals of the N.C.A.A. tournament, Eddie Sutton, the Cowboys' coach, lamented that he would not get a shot at the Illini.

He said he thought his team matched up well with them. In the first round of the tournament, 16th-seeded Fairleigh Dickinson, of all teams, thought it matched up well with Illinois. Opponents have apparently not arranged their TV viewing schedules around Illinois this season, as they might have done with glamour teams like Duke and North Carolina.

Before last night's game, Arizona players said they had not watched the Illini this season. But Illinois players said they had watched a number of Arizona games.

The Illini, for reasons Illinois Coach Bruce Weber tried to explain, were perceived as beatable, vulnerable.

"I don't think we have dominant size; we don't have really one guy going for 30 or 28 or something like that," Weber said. "When you look at us, it's probably not that intimidating. It's a little bit of old-school basketball, and that's not always impressive to people because they don't see the spectacular plays."

Still, the news media almost created the perception that a team that went 35-1 could be an underdog.

Someone asked the Illinois players if Arizona was the best team they would face this season. The question overlooked the fact that two of Illinois's Big Ten rivals, Michigan State and Wisconsin, had also reached the Round of 8.

This was supposed to be a down season for the Big Ten and a strong one for the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Big East. But the Big Ten was represented by three of the final eight teams, and the A.C.C. (North Carolina) and the Big East (West Virginia) each had one.

One difference between Arizona and Illinois could be seen in the backcourt, in the contrast between Stoudamire and Brown. Brown is self-effacing, a piece of the Illinois puzzle. Stoudamire expects to be in the N.B.A. next season. When somebody asked Brown about leaving for the pros after his junior season, he said: "N.B.A.? You serious? I'm not even thinking about that.

"I like college. I like what we're doing. I wish I could play on this team that we have right now for three more years."

Of all the teams left, the Illini are the most intriguing. But they are not a juggernaut. They lack the one unstoppable player everyone talks about. Yet they win. What they have is a team of juniors and seniors who have been on an incredible journey.

Weber was asked during the past several days whether a loss in the N.C.A.A. tournament would invalidate his team's remarkable season.

"How you finish is what people remember," he said.

The people will remember this finish for decades to come.

For a national audience that wondered: Why all the fuss about Illinois? Now we know.

bugstud
03-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I have too many picture choices for my background now

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I like this one too.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/90-BACK_BIG.jpg

Dead
03-27-2005, 06:01 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.baltimoresun.com/media/photo/2003-04/7318397.jpg

http://espn.starwave.com/media/ncb/2003/0407/photo/a_jim_lt.jpg

http://www.acs.brockport.edu/~wzuk0304/images/syracusescoreboard.jpg

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Don't make me bust out the Vermont ownage pics.

bugstud
03-27-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't make me bust out the Vermont ownage pics.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to

Dead
03-27-2005, 06:08 PM
http://www.missouri.edu/~wwwssnd/2003/images/A11_HM.jpg

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/photos/2003-03-30-inside-syracuse.jpg

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 06:09 PM
I made over $3k on SU in the game against Kansas, so I really don't mind. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dead
03-27-2005, 06:10 PM
What was the spread on that game?

Dead
03-27-2005, 06:10 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/2003/ncaa_tourney/includes/daily_inline/title3.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/2003/ncaa_tourney/includes/daily_inline/title5.jpg

Clarkmeister
03-27-2005, 06:12 PM
I bet the moneyline but the spread was 5. I had figured that since SU had already beaten the other two #1 seeds from the Big 12, why wouldn't they beat the final top team from that conference.

Dead
03-27-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah Kansas was definitely favored in that game.

But they undervalued Melo.

I knew SU had it in the bag after they spanked the other two Big 12 teams. The Big 12 was way overrated in 2003.

What was the moneyline?

Clarkmeister
03-29-2005, 12:48 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/LasVegasIllini/Deron-Game-Tying-Shot2.jpg

Clarkmeister
03-29-2005, 12:55 AM

I still love this one.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Here we go. Win or lose it's been a great season. My heart says we find a way here, my head is scared to death of a team that survived an 18-24 3pt performance.

Same keys as always:

1. Deron out of foul trouble and hitting his jumper. Deron in foul trouble means we lose, period.
2. Augustine involved on the offensive end.
3. Defense.

We have not looked good against zones despite our good outside shooting. It really slows down the perpetual motion offense. I'm hoping we can hit those shots early and force them into man D where we really can grind on teams. Historically we really shoot poorly in domes though, so I'm not overly optomistic.

At the end of the day, I sitll think we are the best team in the country. We just have to go out and play like it.

Go Illini!

Cubswin
04-02-2005, 07:18 PM
<font color="orange">Believe </font>

Cubswin
04-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Looks like the pea in the whistle is only working one way tonight

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I still love this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

One to go. Hopping on a plane Monday morning. What a season. Win or lose on Monday, playing in this game is all I could've asked for 5 months ago when I started this thread just hoping we got past the E8.

Thanks to the whole team for a magical season. Regardless of the outcome, I know you'll do all the Illini faithful proud on Monday.

nolanfan34
04-02-2005, 09:34 PM
Congrats, have fun at the game.

And nice avatar! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Up next, the game everyone's been waiting for. Illinois and Carolina, winner take all.

I'm counting on all the other Illinois posters to keep the board strong with an Illinois presense as I'll be at the game.

Oskee wow wow!

Clarkmeister
04-04-2005, 12:17 AM
The Sears Tower is lit in Orange and Blue. So cool. It's quite a big deal because despite all the alumni in Chicago, the city has never really embraced the state school. Very cool!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/LasVegasIllini/sears_ob2.jpg

bugstud
04-04-2005, 12:36 AM
I need some powell dunk pics or clips, Deron's shot against AZ has been my background for too long.

Lemme know if you want to meet up in STL, I'll be there all day