PDA

View Full Version : Do you hit bad streaks in SNGs?

1p0kerb0y
11-23-2004, 12:03 AM
What are common bad streaks that occur? Granted I'm FAIRLY new to multitabling the SNGs, so I'm trying to get a grasp on the variance these games offer. When I started the Party Poker $10+1, I was on fire with around a 38% ROI while 4 tabling. Then I hit a series of about 40 tournaments where I was actually down some money. My ROI now is barely above 30%. It seems like I went on a huge hot streak and then a huge cold streak. My sample size is probably very small right now (355 SNGs). Just want to check and make sure these streaks are pretty normal. Thanks.

Jman28
11-23-2004, 12:10 AM
355 is small, but maybe not as small as you think.

Streaks like the one you described happen to winning players all the time, but your ROI after 355 is probably within 5% of your true ROI.

pshreck
11-23-2004, 12:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
355 is small, but maybe not as small as you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... it's as small as he thinks. Long term losing players can be profitable over 355... getting slightly better cards than you should and winning slightly more coinflips means everything in deciding an ROI over this small sample.

Streaks are normal, everyone has them. The length of them and reasoning behind them should concern you, but if you place out of the money for 8 in a row... you shouldn't really waste much time worrying yet. If you lose money over a few hundred then you might want to look at your play.

adanthar
11-23-2004, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Long term losing players can be profitable over 355

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't go *that* far. If you're a -20% or even -10% player, your ROI's not even going to be close to >30% after 355. A very lucky bad player might do slightly better than break even but these results are something around 2 standard deviations away from 0%.

Basically, he/you are a winning player but you won't know the real number for a while. I would still move up soon, however.

Losing all
11-23-2004, 05:16 AM
Very normal. After a long break from sng's I decided to bust out 1000 10+1's as quick as possible a little over a week ago.

I've played 231 so far,

first 60- roi over 50%

second 60- start 0fer13(my worst streak out of the money in 3K+ sng's) and end up down around 20 buyins for this batch taking my total roi down to 5%

since then I've been running good and have my number back over 20%. Even during this I've been streaky as hell. Two seven game losing streaks and a 9, with a 14 for 18itm

I don't remember them being this wild, but the day to day totals look pretty decent (with the exception of last mondays -16 buyins)

btw- in all my past sng's I had some strange result blocks. my roi was only around 25%, so I'm no great shakes, but decent. I don't think I ever had a losing 100, but a few around even. 1 350 game block with a 10%roi, several 100's over 50%, and 1 150 game block over 70%.

hope this helps.