PDA

View Full Version : Bow before me, for I am the King of Mass Posting. (Bet River?)

Grisgra
11-22-2004, 11:10 PM
He could be slowplaying . . . I just dunno here.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: "Hero" is SB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, "Hero" completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
"Hero" checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">"Hero" raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">"Hero" caps</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
"Hero" checks, BB checks.

River: (6 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
"Hero" checks, BB checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 6 BB, between "Hero" and BB.</font>

lynars
11-22-2004, 11:48 PM
I think you lost that hand against twopair, Jacks over x. He was just to scared to bet out turn/river becouse of the 4straight on the board. He´s aggresion on flop is probably couze he wanted to have a free river if he dident like the turn.

maxpowers21
11-23-2004, 01:29 AM
I don't see the purpose of capping the flop here out of position. BB just check-3bet so he either has a strong hand or strong draw. Niether of which you want to cap the flop with. Call the 3bet and if a good card comes off on the turn lead out.

JimmyJazz1
11-23-2004, 02:24 AM
I agree with Max, there really is no point in capping on the flop. Primarily since capping does not give you anymore information on his hand.

Guido
11-23-2004, 04:36 AM
What maxpowers21 said. I would probably call the flop 3-bet. Check-call the turn and bet the river or check-call again. When he checks the turn I bet the river.

Guido

Grisgra
11-23-2004, 12:04 PM
If I think I've got the best hand and he's just being creative with a draw or worse hand, why not cap the flop if I think I'm ahead?

sqvirrel
11-23-2004, 12:42 PM
Would you have called a turn bet? If so why not bet-fold the river?

Grisgra
11-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Other than thinking I have the best hand, of course. (Which I consider to be a pretty big deal.) I want to discourage people from 3-betting me and to respect my checkraises. Isn't there a table image advantage to be gained here?

J.R.
11-23-2004, 04:51 PM
this isn't a semi-bluff or a taking a shot at a pfr on an A high board type move that you want to discourage, the check-3-bet is either a flopped monster or a super draw. This is not a "biatch slap somebody playing back at me" spot, this is a he has a hand spot. Plus, your hand isn't the hand to really pound back at someone with, as it isn't really strong on this board.

Danenania
11-23-2004, 04:54 PM
Usually people are naturally discouraged from check/3-betting other players' checkraises. I don't think table image is much of a factor. I'm not sure why you think you have the best hand on the flop. BB has shown a ton of strength. I'd just be calling down.

Grisgra
11-23-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this isn't a semi-bluff or a taking a shot at a pfr on an A high board type move that you want to discourage, the check-3-bet is either a flopped monster or a super draw. This is not a "biatch slap somebody playing back at me" spot, this is a he has a hand spot. Plus, your hand isn't the hand to really pound back at someone with, as it isn't really strong on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

He showed down A9o, and MHWG. My guess is he thought I was chasing a draw with my flop raise and he reraised ME thinking he'd slap my biatchy ass down /images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Maybe this was one of those "trust your feel" cases, but time and time again I've seen people make this 3-bet with just a draw, maybe JT, and regretted in retrospect not pumping the flop with TPGK. In other words, exactly as you said -- time to slap the biatch down. My feel was borne out here, but now you guys have me doubting myself . . . don't want to be too results-oriented. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Danenania
11-23-2004, 05:08 PM
I think "playing back" too often against unknowns is a recipe for distaster in the generally very passive 5/10 game.

Grisgra
11-23-2004, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think "playing back" too often against unknowns is a recipe for distaster in the generally very passive 5/10 game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't been in the games I've been in then. Well, some of them have been extremely passive, but I've been at plenty of tables with players that will 3-bet the flop with a draw or a crap pair if they think you're making a move on them.

Obviously, this could be a sample-size problem, but so far, in this situation, people 3-betting me in this spot generally don't have TPGK beat on the flop.

I would have folded to a turn bet in a heartbeat, though /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Danenania
11-23-2004, 05:29 PM
That's the secret of the game I think, realizing that while the crazies draw a lot of attention, they are still in the minority. The average player is quite passive. I'd guess one of the top leaks many good players have in this game is constantly assuming that unknowns are maniacs when they are usually lp as can be. I think your hand post illustrates it nicely. Against a maniac (who you've found) capping the flop is profitable. Against the average lp player, however, it would be spewing chips.

Grisgra
11-23-2004, 05:41 PM
We have a difference of opinion. I don't think this guy was a maniac. He had decent pair and top-kicker, and figured I was making a move on HIM with MY draw. The guy in position bets because he was checked to, I get creative and check raise, and then HE three-bets with what *he* thinks is the best hand at the time.

And then checks the turn/river because he thinks I made my draw.

Only difference between the two of us is I had top pair /images/graemlins/smile.gif. So I'd say he was aggressive, and probably made a poor play there (for the same reason you thought my cap was a bad idea, but moreso) but I wouldn't say he was a maniac.

Grisgra
11-23-2004, 08:29 PM
Very passive players almost never 3-bet the flop. They slowplay their good hands, even when they shouldn't.

ClaytonN
11-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Without reading the replies, I think you were up against a BB special two-pair or pair + low-end gutshot that got scared by the board.

*edit - middle pair plus top quicker. whoa lol....

Danenania
11-23-2004, 10:16 PM
Too general of a statement to be useful I think. You're right that slowplays are common but many passives still go to war with 2 pair or an overpair on the flop. And it's not like he bet it out straightforwardly. This was a check/3-bet. I don't think a cap would be worthwhile even against an aggressive player if he was also reasonable.