PDA

View Full Version : NL vs. Limit -Anyone other than me play limit?

WarDekar
11-22-2004, 09:41 PM
Everyone here seems to play NL SNGs. I realize they take less time (a plus), and it seems people feel they are easier to beat. Currently, I play strictly limit, $20s moved up to $30s recently, and play 4 at a time in groups of 10 to 16 sometimes even more if I feel like it. I'm considering changing to NL, but I'm wondering if people think it is that much more beatable, and if so, how much am I going to have to change my game? I'm not the most proficient NL player, so I'd probably start with $10+1 at 4 tables to gain experience fast. How many times would you say you go all-in on average from the time it goes from 10 players to, say, 5? How much from 10 to ITM? I realize it is hugely dependent on the situations ou come across in that particular tourney, but I'm afraid I would go all-in too much since I don't respect my opponents.

My other problem is I find Limit easier for my style of play because it doesn't really require thought. Since you don't have to decide how much to bet or raise, it's just 1 decision you have to make and I can do a lot of other things while I play. I do think NL would play to my advantage with making people pay for draws, etc. though.

Does anyone successfully play a lot of limit tourneys? I sometimes get mad they don't start enough. Also, does anyone feel MTT offer a better ROI? I play them rarely (mainly because they start rarely for limit) and seem to do really well with them. It doesn't seem much harder at all to get top 5 in a 30 person than top 3 in a 10 person, and while they take marginally longer you can get paid off well. How about the 2-tables?

WarDekar
11-23-2004, 12:54 AM
NT

lorinda
11-23-2004, 01:42 AM
How many times would you say you go all-in on average from the time it goes from 10 players to, say, 5?

Once.

Also, does anyone feel MTT offer a better ROI?

For sure, however they are much more wild for your fluctuations and they also kill your hourly rate.

Lori

WarDekar
11-23-2004, 05:21 AM
Well hourly rate is obviously more important, I didn't think they would take that much longer on average though? I don't play them a whole lot but they don't seem to take that much longer to me if you can get your ROI higher.

How about any thoughts on NL or limit, which is easier to beat?

spentrent
11-23-2004, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm afraid I would go all-in too much since I don't respect my opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

The opponents you don't respect will be doing the calling. So be careful with those "but I _had_ +EV" pushes. The Poker Gods don't care that you pushed with a 57% favorite.

WarDekar
11-23-2004, 05:43 PM
We got a bunch of replies on whether or not GOADING is CHEATING, we got a ton more replies on a ridiculous Pot Odds post, and no one seems to care about a legitimate discussion about limit and NL? What's wrong here?

tigerite
11-23-2004, 08:51 PM
I don't think it's that nobody cares.. just that nobody plays it.. or has the patience to (including me)!

adanthar
11-23-2004, 10:12 PM
The problem is that at the higher limits a limit SNG takes at least 30 more minutes and you can't quad them without staggering since even Party only loads 1 at a time. That really cuts down on the amount of 2+2'ers that play them.

When I played them in the 30's six months ago, they were very soft (as was the $50 I accidentally joined a month back); a guy like fnurt, who won the (limit) Friday Special twice in a row, could crush them...but it'd still lower his hourly rate.

So, in general, I don't really think they're worth it (but they might give a better ROI for a 1 tabler who doesn't care about hourly earn much.)

bucci
11-24-2004, 12:20 PM
heh, i made a post about stud awhile back also with not too much fanfare... I think if you can beat limit, you should stick with it. I think if I played limit holdem, i could get ITM more often, but would win less...

stupidsucker
11-24-2004, 02:07 PM
I have never played a limit SnG until last week when I accidently cliked on a limit 30+3.

I took 1st place.(lucky)

I would guess the skill level is lower in limit, but your hourly earn is just better at NL. Give it a try, but read up on it first, you will fall in love with it most likely.

e_fermat
11-24-2004, 06:03 PM
War - This is my opinion only but I liken being a great limit SNG player to being a really great male softball player /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I mean, if you got the skill, then play baseball dammit and make the big bucks.

Oh and get back to SSB..things are dying there.

WarDekar
11-24-2004, 06:21 PM
Nice one /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I've decided I'll probably start out with $10 NL tourneys to get a feeling for them, 4 at once shouldn't take long to get a good feel I figure. What's your name over at SSB? I still check it every day I just rarely post, if I wasn't in school I'd probably be doing a lot more. I'd like to take a look at props, quarters, halves, etc. but it's just too hard with my limited time right now (tons of SNGs don't help either!).