PDA

View Full Version : AKs flops top pair against aggression

topspin
11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
How's my line?

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, MP1 calls.

Cap ok? I figure he might be on a flush draw here, or overplaying top pair.

Turn: (13.96 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Should I put in one more raise here, call down, or fold? If he was pushing his draw, it came in; if he wasn't on a draw, a cap + leading turn probably means he can beat TPTK.

River: (15.96 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I "improve" to two pair. Anyone raise here? Of all the hands I've put him on, I now beat two pair and still lose to a set or a flush.

Final Pot: 17.96 BB

nothumb
11-22-2004, 09:32 PM
A read on MP1 would really, really help.

I'll throw in a vote for raising the river. Just calling the turn after you capped the flop and now have a flush draw is good by me.

NT

Piiop
11-22-2004, 09:39 PM
I think you played it fine, but I wouldn't fault a turn raise or a river raise - though both would probably be too much.

On the turn, you've now got the nut flush draw to go along with your TPTK so I don't think a raise is that bad. If you were going to raise anywhere, I'd say do it here and call down if he 3-bets (unless of course it's a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif) even when the river is an A.

On the river, your two pair comes in, the only problem is the 2 pair hands for your opponent could have on the flop aren't very likely. That it, I'd be more worried about two pair on a K 9 8 flop than K 7 3. However, since you slowed down on the turn, he should still be betting out with his two pair. But he does continue to bet into the PFR after all that flop action when both A and K are on the board, so he's either not afraid of those or just reckless.

topspin
11-22-2004, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A read on MP1 would really, really help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually 3-table and find I really only notice the maniacs or those that I directly play a hand with. In this case MP1 wasn't going nuts, and I hadn't played against him yet -- with a VP$IP of 85% over 14 hands, I'm figuring he's probably not a good player, but that's about all I could conclude /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chris Daddy Cool
11-22-2004, 10:07 PM
a read would help.

as would a river raise probably.

also, just a side note, its not always true though, that typical players tend to slowplay/get tricky with sets, not go ballastic with them on the flop by betting into the pf raiser.

also, pumping draws heads up out of position isn't seen that often either.

these are just generaliztions though

topspin
11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. The most likely place I would have raised would be the river, but I was concerned by the "risking 2 to win 1" phenomenon, where if he had the flush or a set he'd likely have 3-bet, but just called down with two pair. I have to feel like I'm good more than 2 out of 3 here to bet the river, right?

Results: <font color="white">MP1 has KdQs and MHIG.</font>