PDA

View Full Version : Preflop queens...

12-03-2001, 09:33 AM
Small NL tourney. Mostly populated by good limit players but most of us are newcomers to NL. We just merged two tables so we are playing 9-handed.

Blinds are 8/16. I'm in the BB and pick up QQ.

It's folded to late-midpos player who limps in. I haven't played with him today and cannot tell which mood he is in. I have a fair grasp of his limit game but his no limit game is somewhat unknown to me.

It's folded to me. I raise 50. Limper reraises allin.

What's my choice? Allin or fold?

Sincerely, Andreas

12-03-2001, 09:37 AM

12-03-2001, 09:39 AM
I called. Not really thinking more then "Me have Queens, Queens good hand, Me call". If I had paused for a couple of seconds to think the entire situation I could have come to the conclusion that he probably had a good hand. For him to put this move on me would either require AA-JJ/AK (with JJ and AK being unlikely) or a set of steel balls.

I flip my queens and he flips his rockets. I get lucky and snag a queen on the flop. However, the pokergods thought that justice needed to be served and turned an ace for my opponent and I'm out...

Sincerely, Andreas

12-03-2001, 01:24 PM
Some other info would be helpful, specifically, payout structure, and his and your chip stacks, average stacks on the table, etc. That being said, I'll say this: His limp in play was apparantly a trap. At least, that's how I would read it. KK or AA, most likely. Even if he made a bold move with AK, you're only a small favorite. If he's got less than that, then credit him for making a strong move. I would fold the QQ.

12-03-2001, 04:14 PM
Hi Andreas,

itīs hard to fold QQ, but I think itīs the best you can do. Unless he doesnīt know what he is doing or he thinks you might lay down every hand but Aces and Kings and therefor tries to outplay you, there is no hand I can think of where you are a favorite. I donīt think he would call and move in after a raise with a pair of Jacks or worse or AK. Furthermore you still have enough chips to play. Muck and be happy he didnīt trap you on the flop. Probably there wouldnīt be a possibility to fold if the Flop came all rags.

Just my opinion

Martin

12-04-2001, 07:31 AM
"Not really thinking more then "Me have Queens, Queens good hand, Me call". "

Nothing wrong with that. There is such a thing as out-thinking yourself. I make it 240 in the pot and 100 to call, against an opponent who is not an experienced NL player - grit your teeth and call. There are plenty of players around who will limp-reraise with small pairs in that spot. God knows why but they do.

Andy.

12-04-2001, 01:55 PM
There is WAY to much money in the pot to fold here. You have put in 50 of your 150 that is 1/3 of your stack!!! You are pot stuck. I am calling here.