PDA

View Full Version : Short Stacked at USPC

11-29-2001, 12:23 PM
Blinds 15/30. I have 130 and pick-up A J off UTG+2. An aggressive player with the table chip lead opens UTG for 90 UTG+1 folds. Fold or Push?

11-29-2001, 01:06 PM
Fold. Even though you are short stacked and will soon be forced to make a move, this is not the time. Assuming this is a full table, there are many players to act behind you and the initial raiser probably has you beat with a pair or an ace-higher kicker. Unless he has shown questionable early raises, I would wait until I was the first one to enter a pot and raise all-in.

What was the average stack size at this stage of the tournament?

11-29-2001, 08:27 PM
Fold.

11-29-2001, 11:28 PM
I would fold, since if you raise here he's clearly going to call (and should, even with 32o). If he calls, you must win the showdown, and you're not going to be the favorite often enough to justify the play.

On the next hand, if you have anything, raise all-in, and hope to win the blinds uncontested. If the next hand is weak, do it with the hand after that, even if it's cheese.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

12-04-2001, 04:51 AM
i would act like i didn't know the action was on and then politely, with a little bit of embarassment, fold my cards. Then i'd look at the raiser and give him one of those "who knew" kinda looks.