PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better way?

BWebb
11-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Playing big, but somewhat vulnerable, hands from upfront makes me a little uncomfortable. It seems that they are getting the odds to draw to anything and I can't control it. Is there any other way to play it or should I just bet, bet, bet?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB

MoreWineII
11-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Not really. I guess you could go for a c/r on the flop or the turn, but if it gets checked through, you're *really* giving infinite odds. And if you get 3-bet, that sucks.

Looks like you won a nice 14 BB pot here, where's the problem?

What alternatives are you suggesting?

BWebb
11-22-2004, 05:26 PM
No problem, and I'm not really talking about this hand but rather this situation. Just seeing if others have a better way.

AviD
11-22-2004, 05:27 PM
Just bet, bet, bet until you hit some adversity...then surmise and continue.

AviD
11-22-2004, 05:28 PM
No, there is no better way. You can't afford to give free cards at 2/4, players are going to call chasing overcards, but likely not bet drawing to just overcards...make them pay to chase them. You have a strong overpair and don't want to give As or Ks a free card here...bet, bet, bet.

jordanx
11-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Looks good.

You're probably a big favorite pre-flop and 3 other people paid 3-bets to see the flop. Excellent.

If you lost this pot on the river because someone hit trip 8s then they likely made a mistake calling you pre-flop and then drew to a 5 outer, possibly another mistake (depending on who drew out, position, other players aggression, etc.).

Fat Nicky
11-22-2004, 05:35 PM
I've learning in these situations, when I've shown lots of strength pre-flop, checking in EP gets checked through too often that you miss bets, especially against 4 players. I wouldn't play this any other way.

butters
11-22-2004, 05:37 PM
Your position relative to MP1 makes it tough to use him to force the others to call two cold. Any flush or open-ender is coming anyway, so I'd bet out on the flop like you did.

I'd think about trying a checkraise on the turn. Check, hopefully MP1 will bet and let you trap another player or two for an additional bet.

MoreWineII
11-22-2004, 05:40 PM
I think the only other alternative is trying to check-raise. And that's no good, because:

1.) Checking this through and letting A's &amp; K's get a free shot at you is disastrous.

2.) This flop is relatively harmless and this pot isn't huge yet, I don't know that you really *want* to lose customers. Which you might if LP bets and you confront the other two players with two bets cold.

3.) They love to call, let them.

I get nervous about playing big pairs up front too, but I bet them until I'm given reason to believe I'm behind. Gettig fancy on these types of hands usually just gets me all screwed up. Suddenly I'm calling 3-bets having no idea where I'm at in the hand and gunk like that.

BWebb
11-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure if there was a better alternative and you made me realize that there really isn't. For this particular hand MP1 had 55 and CO had K10, MHIVG.

Chairman Wood
11-22-2004, 06:04 PM
Nothing you can do. Everyone, if the other preflop raiser were in the CO here or nearest to button in other situations would anyone consider checkraising?