PDA

View Full Version : too tight to win or go loose to lose?

MickeyT
11-22-2004, 04:42 PM
I have been playing the regular 7 card stud tournaments (10$ buy in) recently at Party Poker.com.

I play a very tight game and only go on genuine starting hands. This seems to stand me in good stead when there are a lot of players around the table. More often than not I get down to the last 4 players.

I've noticed though that I have had a lot more 2nd places than 1st. My game doesn't seem to hold up when I'm playing one-on-one. I start tight and fold a lot of my hands and then I start thinking I'm coming under pressure because my opponent is getting the advantage by not doing much.

So I start to loosen up and generally end up losing - even when I'm in a very dominant position going into the last 2.

How should I alter my game when I'm in a one-on-one. Do I stay tight and stick to it?

M

PoorLawyer
11-22-2004, 05:11 PM
one thing to keep in mind is that half the time, you are starting with the winning hand. you need a lot less of a hand to play heads up then you do at a full table.

grb137
11-23-2004, 02:23 AM
Hey Mickey -

I've played heads up cash games on PP before. You definately should loosen up your starting hand requirements, particularly at the end of a tourny where the blinds keep escalating. I like almost pair (raise), a high card showing and one related card (raise), any 2 high cards in the hole (call), and any draw(call, or raise if two are high cards).

I recommended reading 7CSFAP's chapter on "ante stealing" because I believe alot of the same principles apply - particularly the idea of scare cards.

GL

Chris Daddy Cool
11-23-2004, 02:30 AM
the fewere the players the looser you have to play.

heads up you can't wait for pairs and suited paint to ram down your opponent's throat. you're gonna have to play a lot of marginal hands aggressively. You're gonna have to represent more hands and play unimproved A high like AA. Heads up limit play is very difficult to do in any form of poker, but it's something that you'll just have to work on.