PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft

Matty
11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
I think we should all join the 3rd PvP Central time zone server so we can play together.

BusterStacks
11-22-2004, 04:39 PM
PST server!

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 04:44 PM
NO!
PLAY HALO 2!

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
NO!
PLAY HALO 2!

[/ QUOTE ]

theres room for both man, i would be interested in joining a server with everyone from here.

what dif does the time zone make?

KowCiller
11-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Send me a PM whenever you guys figure out what PVP server you're joining. I've got some friends/family that are planning to join whichever server I join. I'll probably be playing Alliance.

KoW

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Send me a PM whenever you guys figure out what PVP server you're joining. I've got some friends/family that are planning to join whichever server I join. I'll probably be playing Alliance.

KoW

[/ QUOTE ]

what does "playing alliance" mean? i never played any betas of this game because im too busy sitting around.

Matty
11-22-2004, 05:09 PM
the Horde and the Alliance are at war with each other, and you can only play with people in your territory (or race).

www.worldofwarcraft.com (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com)

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the Horde and the Alliance are at war with each other, and you can only play with people in your territory (or race).

www.worldofwarcraft.com (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

ohhhh, duh. u can make more than one character cant you?

Cerril
11-22-2004, 05:15 PM
And more importantly, on PvP servers you can only make characters of one side or the other (on the PvE servers you can make horde and alliance characters, even though they can't interact).

Cerril
11-22-2004, 05:23 PM
I know my group'll be on one of the PST PvP servers, I decided to take myself out of the decision making process on this one.

Anyone going to be at the Fry's event (http://www.worldofwarcraft.com) tonight?

BusterStacks
11-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Dude don't play alliance, they're already gonna outnumber Horde like 2 to 1.

Matty
11-22-2004, 06:52 PM
I figured the central would be better since we have people all over the country.

This is awesome:

http://wow-chile.inet.cl/atlas/waratlas.swf

SnakeRat
11-22-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I figured the central would be better since we have people all over the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the central and east coast servers are located in Washington DC, and all the mountain and pacific servers are located in LA.

This was the way it was in beta, not certain it will be this way on release tomorrow but I am guessing it will.

I will probably end up playing on a central alliance pvp since thats where my guild has decided to play. Sadly Blizzard hasnt given a list of servers yet as far as I know.

Blarg
11-22-2004, 10:46 PM
As of late last night, Amazon didn't even have a price listing for the regular game or the Collectors Edition. The collector's edition comes with an extra pet, supposedly, you can use online, and that sounds kind of cool. I'm wondering if the "more expensive" edition is much more expensive and therefore not worth it. I do usually like Warcraft's music, and it does come with a separate music CD. Also it comes with the game on both CD and DVD, and you can just give one or the other version to someone else to play, say the promotional materials. Doesn't seem like there would be any advantage to having the DVD edition besides having to swap disks less on install, though.

liquidboss
11-23-2004, 02:04 AM
Well I'll be playing for sure, under the same name, liquidboss. Playing a PvP server for sure, likely Horde as I've always played orcs and undead in Warcraft. I like the idea of a 2+2 guild but I'll be playing with Empire, my DAOC guild. Maybe I'll see some of you online...

AncientPC
11-23-2004, 02:54 AM
Open beta already sucked out two weeks out of my life, I think I'll stick to online poker for now. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

MarkL444
11-23-2004, 11:48 AM
so whats the story, didnt it come out today? anyone get it yet?

KowCiller
11-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Yeah but night elves are cool, and their hometown area is sweet. Plus they make the best rogues, which is what I plan to play.

What race/class are you going for?

KoW

KowCiller
11-23-2004, 04:42 PM
No other "collector's edition" game from Blizzard has been worth the extra cash, and I see no reason why WoW will be any different in that respect.

I'm buying the regular edition this time around.

KoW

Matty
11-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I joined the Mal'Ganis PvP Central Time server.

I think I'm gonna go with night elf priest for now. If we got a decent guild going, I'd be willing to play undead as well.

Cerril
11-23-2004, 07:46 PM
I'm hanging out on Tichondrius, trying to avoid the overcrowding on the Central servers.

Brian
11-24-2004, 05:56 PM
I got a 16 Undead Warlock on Stormreaver. Pretty impossible to play now though due to server crashes and lag. Funny how Blizzard said all during the Beta that there wouldn't be any such problems in retail. Should've known better /images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Brian

dr. klopek
11-24-2004, 07:51 PM
I went with a friend of ours to a Wal-Mart like 30 miles away at midnight to get it when it came out. We wait in line for like 40 minutes and some douche bag comes out and announces that they only have 6 copies. WTF?! It is for this reason that I will never play World of Warcraft or give a penny to Wal-Mart.

Eihli
11-24-2004, 08:57 PM
my walmart only had 2 copies

i got one

Lawrence Ng
11-24-2004, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As of late last night, Amazon didn't even have a price listing for the regular game or the Collectors Edition. The collector's edition comes with an extra pet, supposedly, you can use online, and that sounds kind of cool. I'm wondering if the "more expensive" edition is much more expensive and therefore not worth it. I do usually like Warcraft's music, and it does come with a separate music CD. Also it comes with the game on both CD and DVD, and you can just give one or the other version to someone else to play, say the promotional materials. Doesn't seem like there would be any advantage to having the DVD edition besides having to swap disks less on install, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Blarg,

The CE of WoW is worth every dollar. The soundtrack rocks, behind the scene's dvd is cool, and the in game pet is neat.

Lawrence

Cerril
11-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Yeah... for all the planning and preparation Blizzard put in they made two mistakes (or two errors in their thinking):

1) No company has ever had an even satisfactory launch of an MMORPG. Lag and server issues are at their worst on day 1, and all the bugs come out starting then.

2) "off the main site: "We launched with 41 servers in the U.S. yesterday, and we are bringing up an additional 34 servers today to accommodate the influx of players. Over 200,000 accounts were created in just a single day! "

Even assuming they planned on an amazing amount of success this is miles beyond what you could possibly expect to see.

Danenania
11-25-2004, 12:22 AM
My computer keeps turning itself off after 10 minutes of play. Not good for blood pressure. I meet the system requirements and all my drivers are current, so I'm trying a scandisk and defrag now. It sucks. Might have to buy a new comp.

Blarg
11-25-2004, 04:38 AM
They could easily expect to see that.

Blizzard had similar server problems with Diablo and Diablo 2. They're terrible with getting enough server capacity on start-up, consistently.

They're not alone in that, but they're willing to do the disservice to their customers until not being ready with stable servers sometimes for weeks after initial launch.

They're not alone in that, though. Other MMORPG's and even RTS's routinely underbuild capacity and then add it at their leisure.

It's kind of a shock, if you're not used to playing games like this, to find out how common a poor launch, even a terrible one is. But it's the norm. By now, I've come to prefer giving it a few weeks for server capacity to come up to snuff, server stability to stabilize, and the crush of newbies to get out of the beginning areas before signing on for a new game.

While Blizzard makes great games, the low standards of the gaming industry when it comes to initial launch and Blizzard's record in particular makes me often give a new game a few weeks to get over at least a bit of its growing pains. And that's what I'll do with this one.

Blarg
11-25-2004, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The CE of WoW is worth every dollar. The soundtrack rocks, behind the scene's dvd is cool, and the in game pet is neat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lawrence, the soundtrack is one of the reasons I was thinking of getting the collector's edition. Blizzard and Warcraft music is usually great. The pet was the other thing.

Does he do anything practical? Or just hang around and look cool?

SnakeRat
11-25-2004, 05:52 PM
"Does he do anything practical? Or just hang around and look cool? "

They just hang around.

As far as looking cool, I dont think they look any cooler than the stnadard pets you can buy, cats, parrots, cockroaches, etc...

Matty
11-26-2004, 01:30 AM
I've got a 14 NE Priest on Asgalor, and lag is getting a lot better (crosses fingers).

I didn't even try wal-mart because I think they Wal-marts only requested 6 copies per store (if your store had less it's because the employees pre-bought them).

I went to a gaming store, and they had tons.

There are rumors that we've already had an orc party of 15-20 with ranks 15+ come through the southern dark woods. not sure how true that is or not though. It has been cool finally seeing gnomes and dwarves in the elven towns though. This is an awesome game.

Blarg
11-26-2004, 10:45 AM
By the way -- what's the monthly fee to play this thing?

Eihli
11-26-2004, 11:15 AM
$15

Eihli
11-26-2004, 11:32 AM
if anyone's looking for a guild on stormreaver, send me a message in game. my name's Krogoth.

Blarg
11-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks Eihli.

Another question for everyone now:

I'm still on dial-up. Has anyone tried playing the game on dial-up yet and had okay results? I don't mean, does anybody want to shout down dial-up just for fun. I played Everquest on dial-up and mostly did ok, and have played man RTS's and done fine. But...I know it's less than ideal of course. Does anyone know if the box says anything "requires DSL or broadband" or something? Or has anyone actually tried dial-up and have anything to report on the experience.

I'm sure the first week will be very laggy, especially for dial-up, but I wonder how bad it will eventually be once things start getting smoother.

AncientPC
11-27-2004, 03:46 AM
I know that people played open beta with dial-up . . .

Blarg
11-27-2004, 01:54 PM
I got the collector's edition, Lawrence. And I got the strat guide too. Quite an investment for a game I haven't played even one second and don't really know if I'll like yet.

It's cheap entertainment, though, overall.

william deangelis
11-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Before I go buy the game tonight anyone have a pvp server to recommend for someone on the east coast. I do not care if it is in central some friends from pacific time zone might play with me. Is 1 gold a lot to have starting out?

Eihli
11-28-2004, 05:19 AM
All the big name gaming clans are playing on the central server Archimonde so there is a lot of competition there. There is a long queue on that server though because of it's popularity. I'm playing on Stormreaver central server, lots of people so you have competition but there isn't a long queue like on Archimonde.

waffle
11-28-2004, 05:38 AM
Does anyone have a 10 day trial key they're willing to part with? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Matty
11-29-2004, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Before I go buy the game tonight anyone have a pvp server to recommend for someone on the east coast. I do not care if it is in central some friends from pacific time zone might play with me. Is 1 gold a lot to have starting out?

[/ QUOTE ]They'll give you a list of recommended (low population) servers.

1g is a lot starting out. I didn't get 1g until lvl 20, and even then you have to spend it on training. I assume you're buying it on ebay?

Blarg
11-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Well, after looking around for a place that had it in stock or even had it at all(for some reason Amazon has only the regular edition), I finally found the collector's edition at Fry's online. I ordered it a couple days ago, and they confirmed my order, but then sent me an e-mail today saying it was out of stock but they'd ship it to me when they got it, if I didn't want to cancel my order.

So even the places that have it in stock don't have it in stock, at least sometimes. Bleah.

jmark
12-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi Blarg,

I'm on dialup as well (MSN right now). I've played it for almost a week and it's fine. Every now and then there will be some kind of lag and the monster you're fighting will be in a different place than it appears to be, due to server/pc miscommunications, but it's just mildly annoying.

Blarg
12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Cool. I'm on MSN dial-up too.

Luckily the death penalty is really low, so they say, so lag sounds like it won't be the game-killer it can be in other games.

jmark
12-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Yeah the death penalty is virtually nothing, just your equipment takes a little damage -- cough up a little cash to repair, no big deal. It takes 1 or 2 minutes max to run to your corpse as a ghost, super easy.