PDA

View Full Version : Check-raising to the extreme.

Yobz
11-22-2004, 03:34 PM
Reads on both players are average looseness, pretty aggressive.

Should I have checked the river?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP posts a blind of $1.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP (poster) calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

River: (16.25 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has 2s 2c (three of a kind, twos).
UTG has Ks Ah (straight, ace high).
Button has Ac 9d (one pair, aces).
Outcome: UTG wins 22.25 BB. </font>

Yobz
11-22-2004, 03:37 PM
A couple of hands later, a major suckout =(

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, MP calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: (4.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero has Kh Ah (full house, aces full of fours).
MP has Js As (full house, aces full of jacks).
Outcome: MP wins 12.25 BB. </font>

RunDownHouse
11-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Hand 1: Definitely check the river. You lose to any K now, and if someone has it, you're going to pay 2 BBs to see that you're beat. If there isn't a K out there, there's still a decent chance you induce a bluff.

Hand 2: meh, it happens.

Grisgra
11-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Someone might wonder in Hand #2 what the chances are that someone is 3-betting you with anything other than an ace, and thus, what a 4-bet could accomplish. You're either chopping or he's got AJ or 44.

That said, I still 4-bet it praying he's got 4s over As or is being stupid with something like KK . . . so just pay me no nevermind.

Hand #1, exactly what whatshisnuts said. Check-call, hoping you're inducing a bluff.

Yobz
11-22-2004, 04:31 PM
If its bet and re-raised back to me in hand 1, to i fold it?

Grisgra
11-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Youch. That big a pot, you're getting 10:1 on your coldcall, BUT the bettor could certainly have a T and reraise, I sincerely don't know. Probably folding it is right unless you are at an aggressive table.

Jeff W
11-22-2004, 08:25 PM
You should check the river and show down your set. Your loose opponents are all too likely to show you a king. The button likely has a weak hand or a straight and you do not want to face him with 2 bets in either case.