PDA

View Full Version : Was this too risky?

Cosmo2000
11-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Live tourney...120 players...$100 buyin...start w/ t2500

5th level blinds 200/400

UTG is chip leader by a wide margin, probaly T15000, limps in...I am in small blind and complete w/ Qc-10c...BB checks.

Flop Ks-Js-3s I have T2600 and push it all in. BB folds and UTG thinks for about 5 mins and calls. He had pocket 3's and flopped a set and I got no help on my straight draw and was out.

One of the primary reasons I pushed is b/c of the tournament structure, blinds increase every 15 mins (you barely get one orbit per blind level) and you must accumalate chips to withstand the all-in barrages that usually start on the next level. Any thoughts on betting an open end straight draw on a board like this? I figure there is only a small range of hands he can call with, either he has flopped a flush or has Ace of spades. To be honest never even considered a set.

In hindsight I guess I should have checked and folded to his bet, but I saw it as a good semi-bluffing opportunity to pick up a pot when my opponet had only a small range of hands to call with.

Comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Ross
11-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Yes for 2 reasons you could be betting your whole stack and

a) be drawing dead if he has 2 clubs or
b) you could hit your straight and still lose if he has a club.

The only real chance you have of winning the pot is your opponnent folding, if he calls you are in trouble. You have'nt invested much in the pot give it up and wait for a better spot.

Ross

SossMan
11-22-2004, 04:28 PM
given his stack size, I think you overestimate your folding equity. (although if he really considered folding a set, maybe not) I think most players with his stack size are calling you with any top/middle pair, and one card flush draws down to Ts.

nightlyraver
11-22-2004, 04:36 PM
It's a tough call, but I think check-folding may have been in order. I'm not a huge fan of pushing on a draw, epecially since an already made hand or a stronger draw can easily beat you. You are essentially playing this as if you are drawing to 5 outs - 8 for the str8 draw minus 2 that will make a 4-flush and discount another to account for a set or a higher pair to a Q. Pushing with 5 outs is not a smart play no matter how you slice it IMHO. Pushing pre-flop may have been a better play since you really are in all-in or fold mode with less the 10xBB.