PDA

View Full Version : Baseball front office jobs

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Interesting opportunity in my Baseball Prospectus e-mail today. Check out this (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/resume.html) .

I know there are some college types on this place that might fit that description. Sounded like an interesting opportunity, so I thought I'd pass it along to you math/stat geeks. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ryner
11-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Sorry for going off-topic, but is that Nolan putting a headlock on a guy? I've never seen that...

KJS
11-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Remember reading history books that talk about getting an education followed by decent employment for decent pay, maybe even enough money to buy a house for your family, or perhaps a new Chevy? Maybe your father, granfather or uncle even got a degree and a good job and was able to amply provide for his family and can share how that made him feel. Those were the days, huh.

Today: go work your ass off at a top school so we can hire you for a [censored] wage and even explicitly advertise that you will "reasonably be expected to be worked like a dog for low pay," and not have money for decent sleeping accomodations or healthy food.

What a sad state of affairs, really.

KJS

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Give me a break, that's a ridiculous response.

We're talking about an industry that has few jobs, and little turnover. People will be willing to make some sacrifices to break into it. You talk like the "good old days" where everyone had a 9-to-5 at the factory, punched their timeclock, and got their union wage was so great, but that sounds freaking boring to me.

Anyway, I would bet there are a lot of baseball fans who would go for something like this at the drop of a hat, if they qualified for it.

KJS
11-22-2004, 04:06 PM
I'm not saying people won't apply; certainly many will.

I'm not saying work didn't use to be boring; certainly some work was, and still is.

All I am saying is that, in my estimation, there used to be a sense that an employee was a valued part of an organization, and the employer valued that person (especially when we are talking about top graduates from top schools) and showed their appreciation for that person's contribution by providing that person with a decent salary and benefits. Its really the humane thing to do when you reasonably expect someone to work hard to make your organization better, IMO.

Not only have we gotten away from that idea, and not only have we suffered in terms of what our paychecks can purchase (look at the decline in real wages since the 1950s), but now employers are crass enough to post announcements like the one you showed, which exhibit that what they expect to be a good deal employment-wise is working like a dog for low pay.

Maybe those people should just teach dogs how to make databases.

KJS

2planka
11-22-2004, 04:16 PM
This is an opening at BP, right? So it's really in the publishing industry, not necessarily MLB. Since publications like Prospectus (and James's MLB Handbook) are highly time-sensitive and require lots of data crunching, there's no doubt the "work like a dog" statement is truth in advertising. Entry level work in the publishing industry = low pay.

edit: it does say MLB front office, though. Hmmm. If it's working for Billy Beane it should read "Wanna get cussed at and have dip spit at you? You could be the very next Paul Depodesta!"

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 04:18 PM
I get the impression more that BP is the conduit to this particular job. They're just not saying which franchise.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, I would bet there are a lot of baseball fans who would go for something like this at the drop of a hat, if they qualified for it.

[/ QUOTE ]If I qualified, I would do it in a heartbeat. I am willing to bet it pays more than what I make right now too.

tripdad
11-22-2004, 06:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for going off-topic, but is that Nolan putting a headlock on a guy? I've never seen that...

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't believe if you are a sports fan, you've never seen Nolan put the hurt to Robin Ventura. made him look like a friggin schoolgirl.

cheers!

kerssens
11-22-2004, 06:39 PM
I seem to qualify...hmmm

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to qualify...hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

Go for it. Although I guarantee the front office is not the Mariners.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to qualify...hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]
do it!

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I seem to qualify...hmmm

[/ QUOTE ]
do it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I see through your selfish motives. You want the other 2+2er in your home game out of the state. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 06:58 PM
he sucks though, why would I want him to leave /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

kerssens
11-22-2004, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he sucks though, why would I want him to leave

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just been in a slump /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he sucks though, why would I want him to leave

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just been in a slump /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
hmmm.... I know, some sort of funk or something. You def don't suck /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

KJS
11-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Don't know where you guys play but I was thinking a Seattle 2+2 get together might be in order. There seems to be quite a few Seattle people on here.

Do you guys play at "the loft" by any chance?

KJS

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 07:52 PM
my basement usually. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

where is the loft?

Get together sounds cool.

KJS
11-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Pioneer Square

KJS

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 08:24 PM
there is a card room in pioneer square?

2planka
11-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Could be the new Washington Nationals. Provided they actually sell the team.