PDA

View Full Version : Orleans No-Limit Hand

11-26-2001, 08:17 PM
First hand after the re-buy period has ended and the break is over. ($20 w/ $10 rb mon. tournament) I am in BB. It is folded to the cutoff who raises a pretty big amount, but still has a decent stack.(I forget the exact amounts) I have an average or somewhat small stack. He has me covered. The raise is big enough that it will commit me to the pot. The button and SB fold. I look at my cards and see QQ. I ponder a minute and review his action in relation to the size of his stack and his position. I didn't know him at all and had only seen him play a couple of hands before the break. I re-raised all in after deciding there was a good chance he didn't have AA or KK. He called. Results to follow. I am interested on some analysis on how the stage of the tournament affected my decision. I think I may have made a bad call even if I was absolutely sure he had AK and not a bigger pair.

11-26-2001, 08:22 PM
He had AK, so my read was good. A king came on the flop of course and busted me. I got my money in as a favorite but at the risk of my entire stack. Was this smart in a tournament where we had a way to go before the payout? Or is it just the breaks in tournament play.

11-26-2001, 08:43 PM
High Desert Poker Man,

I think you played it correctly with the amount of chips you had. Queens are a reraising hand, so if a reraise would commit most of my chips, I would move in every time. If I had a lot of chips I would reraise.

There have been plenty of times I've been in the same situation and the queens will be slightly better than 50%.

Good Luck

Mark

11-27-2001, 12:35 AM
Well played. Too bad you lost. Better luck next time.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)