PDA

View Full Version : Master and Commander

andyfox
11-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Didn't see it in the theaters, saw it on HBO last week.

Loved it. What a treat. I was enthralled for two hours. Wonderful entertainment, educational, exciting, beautifully done. I missed a lot of the dialogue as my American ears didn't get all of the English accents, but what a thrilling entertainment. I wish I had seen it on a big screen.

Highly recommended if you haven't yet seen it.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I really enojoyed it too Andy; great, fun movie.

Alobar
11-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I have avoided it because russel crowe annoys me. Maybe I should watch it :/

Matt Flynn
11-22-2004, 02:21 PM
try the books.

SmileyEH
11-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Excellent movie. I only really enjoyed the first books in the series--I much prefer the Hornblower series.

-SmileyEH

andyfox
11-22-2004, 02:29 PM
I found him a little stilted in this movie, maybe trying too hard. The other actors, however, were superb, especially the other lead, whose name escapes me just now.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 02:41 PM
hmmm.... I liked Russel in the film. The other lead was the guy that played along side him in A beautiful mind.

lu_hawk
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
try the books.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know they existed until I saw the movie last year in the theater. I picked up the first one and was hooked. Took me about 6 months to read all 20 of them but when I turned the last page I felt like I had lost some good friends. These books are easily the best fiction I have ever read. It's too bad Patrick O'Brien is gone.

andyfox
11-22-2004, 02:43 PM
I think he's a fine actor. But he did nothing unexpected in the movie, he could have been in a remake of Mutiny on the Bounty.

But it's a minor quibble in an otherwise perfect movie.

junkmail3
11-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Didn't see it in the theater.

Saw it on an airplane, couldn't see it, felt queezy, hated it.

Probably wouldn't give it another chance.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But he did nothing unexpected in the movie

[/ QUOTE ] Disclaimer: I am a Crowe fan. I think a lot of people have started to take for granted how good he is, so basically when he doesn't top his last performane, people think he did a bad job. In actuality though, his "average" performances are better than most other actors "good" perfomances.

Ulysses
11-22-2004, 03:18 PM
I didn't like it.

Dominic
11-22-2004, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't see it in the theaters, saw it on HBO last week.

Loved it. What a treat. I was enthralled for two hours. Wonderful entertainment, educational, exciting, beautifully done. I missed a lot of the dialogue as my American ears didn't get all of the English accents, but what a thrilling entertainment. I wish I had seen it on a big screen.

Highly recommended if you haven't yet seen it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great movie. Period.

Dominic
11-22-2004, 08:01 PM
the other guy's name is Paul Bettany. I hate him because he's married to Jennifer Connolly.

SnakeRat
11-22-2004, 08:04 PM
I hate him for the same reason.

The movie was pretty dull IMO. It felt like a historical documentary which isn't my cup of tea.

Blarg
11-22-2004, 11:13 PM
I enjoyed it because the sea really is a lost world all by itself to us. Now we just take planes. Those old wooden ships were their own strange, fantastic worlds. When you think about the danger of the sea alone, it's almost incomprehensible; add in people trying to murder each other on them, and it doesn't hurt either. So the subject itself drew me in, and then it was just up to the movie to not screw up too badly. It did that well enough.

By the way, The Perfect Storm is a really good book(though the movie may not be as good, I don't know), and there was one, jeez I forget the name, but it was incredibly compelling, about the actual incident that inspired Melville's "Moby Dick." A huge whale really did smash deliberately smash a whaler's boat and it was a very famous case at the time. Lovely tensions of starvation, cannibalism, drawing straws to see who gets eaten next, living through unbelievable storms in the middle of nowhere on tiny, beat up boats...it was unbelievably scary and you could really imagine yourself there with everyone's fear. Great description on what starvation does to people's minds as well as bodies, and how degenerate they become. I'll try to find the name of the book. I actually read it three times, but for some reason the name escapes me at the moment.

Anyway, if anyone liked Master and Commander, those two books are really good reads. The one I can't remember the name of stands above "The Perfect Storm," though. Incredibly colorful events.

billyjex
11-22-2004, 11:43 PM
The movie was boring. The dialogue was hard to understand due to the accents. It wasn't interesting. It sucked.

Give me Big Lebowski.

Zeno
11-23-2004, 12:59 AM
I saw the movie when it first came out. I also enjoyed it.

-Zeno

scrub
11-23-2004, 02:55 AM
Read the books. They're fantastic.

scrub