PDA

View Full Version : Zelda: Ocarina of Time

AngryCola
11-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Today, I decided to take a blast to the past and dust off this gem. Everything about this game is so perfect. It really does hold up to the test of time.

I think it easily stands as one of the top 10 video games of all time. Agree? Discuss!

SnakeRat
11-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Yeah extremely polished and fun game.

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 02:07 PM
a link to the past would be higher on my list.

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 02:11 PM
What system is this on?

SnakeRat
11-22-2004, 02:13 PM
N64

AngryCola
11-22-2004, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a link to the past would be higher on my list.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a great game, as well. It's just one of those things where I'm trying to look for things to nitpick all these years later, and I can't find really anything bad to say about Ocarina. The graphics were the best at that time for N64 games. The gameplay was smoooooooooth, and all of the quests were solid and detailed.

Majora's Mask has a little better graphics and more sidequests, but not quite as solid of a plot or gameplay.

Wind Waker was okay. I thought it was pretty original, and had a lot of substance, but something about Ocarina sets it above even this later gen. title.

Link to the Past vs. Ocarina would have made for an interesting poll. I think that would be the game that competes with Ocarina best in the Zelda series.

The Zelda series has always been very well done, in general.

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but not quite as solid of a plot or gameplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

plot is important, but its more about the feel/enorinment. the environment in ocarina of time is amazing. the env on the wind waker sucked big time. same with that mario game, with the water jetpack or whatever. if i play mario i want to be smashing koopas and [censored]. sometimes they change too much, thats why a lot of the new nintendo games are so gay

mmbt0ne
11-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Ocarina of Time is a top 3 on my list on its worst days. I think it's the best Zelda game ever.

SnakeRat
11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
I have been playing World of Warcraft beta the last couple weeks and the environment style is reminiscent of 'Ocarina of Time.'

I had a few flashbacks when running through giant tree buildings in the Night Elf cities.

Iceman
11-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Parts of the game are very well done, but a lot of the last few dungeons are just boring and take way too long. Maybe without the Water Temple and Shadow Temple it would be in the top 10.

AngryCola
11-22-2004, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
plot is important, but its more about the feel/enorinment. the environment in ocarina of time is amazing. the env on the wind waker sucked big time. same with that mario game, with the water jetpack or whatever. if i play mario i want to be smashing koopas and [censored]. sometimes they change too much, thats why a lot of the new nintendo games are so gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of that!

Based on pure environments, Majora's mask comes a close second to Ocarina. I just thought it lacked direction, which was intentional on their part. It's good when a game is so open that you can go around doing anything, but it still needs to have a strong focus at the center. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

That said, Pikmin was a game people either loved or hated. I thought it was pretty clever and original with solid game mechanics. I understand why I'm probably in the minority with this one, though. It is a very "off" game. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Which one is the Gameboy Zelda? That one tops my list.

astroglide
11-22-2004, 03:33 PM
the engine was a little sloppy back then. if ocarina used the wind waker engine (cel shading or not, unlike most i don't care either way) i think it would possibly be the best of all time. story/theme/etc is insane but i'd take link to the past for replay because of motion/attack kludginess.

AngryCola
11-22-2004, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which one is the Gameboy Zelda? That one tops my list.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a decent game. I think it's called Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Not quite as good as A Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time, IMHO. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

astroglide
11-22-2004, 05:07 PM
adventure of link was the second nes game. i believe the gb/gbc game (which was excellent) was called link's awakening.

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Links Awakening, that was it. I loved that game man.

AngryCola
11-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Ohhhh yeah, that was what it was called. Thanks, astroglide.

nolanfan34
11-22-2004, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
N64

[/ QUOTE ]

Given how cheap I could probably get an N64 for, would it be worth picking one up for this game? FWIW, I loved the old Zelda, and really dug the Final Fantasy games, through #7 at least, before they got all anime for some reason.

astroglide
11-22-2004, 06:19 PM
the legend of zelda collector's edition can be found on ebay or maybe a local used game store. it has zelda, zelda 2, ocarina, and majora's mask (sequel to ocarina).

Q8offsuit
11-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Ocarina of Time is actually in the top 1 games ever made.

AngryCola
11-22-2004, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ocarina of Time is actually in the top 1 games ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

A bit excessive, but I'll let it slide. Only because you have John Cleese as your avatar. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lawrence Ng
11-23-2004, 04:59 AM
I spent a good month playing Ocarina of Time. Was my favorite N64 game. I played Majora's Mask too, but it didn't have the same kick and feel.

Now, Final Fantasy VII..that's a game of the ages.

Lawrence

AngryCola
11-23-2004, 05:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, Final Fantasy VII..that's a game of the ages.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you on FF VII, but those are fighting words for some FF fans. /images/graemlins/grin.gif