PDA

View Full Version : Including poker in your resume/cv

cockandbull
11-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

I'm planing to apply for a position where i feel my poker experince will give me a edge over the other appliciants. My problem is that i'm quite ignorant of the whole cv/resume process, as most of the jobs i've held previously have been fill in the boxes type jobs. How would you all go about this/what would you include?

harry

The position i'm applying for is a junior football trader

deacsoft
11-22-2004, 12:54 PM
I believe poker, despite the recent boom in popularity, to still be very much taboo in American society and would not include it on a resume/cv.

Just out of curiousity, what type of job is it? I highly doubt it, but it may curve the reasoning of you responses.

Dominic
11-22-2004, 12:54 PM
do NOT list poker among your skills on your resume. Despite it's growing popularity, poker is still considered to be gambling by the majority of people, and thus, looked down upon.

astroglide
11-22-2004, 12:57 PM
sounds like a bad idea

Topflight
11-22-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't think you would be able to convince anyone that you aren't a gamblor.

I don't think it is helpful that poker is popular, this just makes you look like another shmo who is into the new craze.

I rarely tell anyone that I play poker because there is really no way for someone to differeniate me from their brother bob that gambles his paycheck away every Friday night. Afterall, Bob is a winner too.

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 01:42 PM
whats a junior football trader do?

2planka
11-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Bad idea. I tend only to discuss poker at work when someone else brings it up. I would not list poker on my resume, since most hiring managers and HR-types still see it as a red-flag activity.

While some may find it interesting (my current boss was a tournament bridge player, so he's accepting of poker) I think you're better off not including it.

cockandbull
11-22-2004, 02:08 PM

The position is working for a spread betting company, and as a junior i should imagine it means making tea and coffee, fetching lunch etc etc, whilst learning to compile and trade on different lines in football(soccer).

I would have thought playing poker would be a massive advantage for a job like this. I also wish to include playing, because if i dont i'll have a 10 month gap in jobs.

harry

2planka
11-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Ah.

Given you've got a gap to explain and also given the type of position you're seeking, go ahead and include it. It may be worth mentioning in the interview process, though. Something silly like, "I thought it was a bit of a gamble to include poker on my resume" (chuckle, chuckle).

deacsoft
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
I still would not include it and I would leave the gap. They will ask about the gap durring the interview and then you could consider mentioning it.

cockandbull
11-22-2004, 02:51 PM
I pretty much thought that i'd have to include it, due to lack of alterative. The only other possiblitiy is to fill the void with traveling.

The main question i have is how one would go about including poker. What would you include/leave out? Also i dont have a copy of top to hand, so if anyone would be so kind as to list to key points etc. Game theory/implied odds etc.

harry

Ulysses
11-22-2004, 03:12 PM
imo, putting poker on your resume would be a big positive in this situation.

mmcd
11-22-2004, 04:11 PM
I assume he's going to be working for a bookie. I think an overall knowledge of gambling would be a big plus here.

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
imo, putting poker on your resume would be a big positive in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think so too. at first when i read the post i thought "stupid", but now that i know what the job is it sounds like a good idea.

what can you put on a resume to make yourself look qualified for this kind of job. not much. if theres a lot of applicants, this could help you stand out. but i think its also highly dependant on how you word it.

Topflight
11-22-2004, 04:20 PM
I didn't understand what the job was at first either.

Since they are wagering on soccer games, I don't see how being knowledgeable on gambling theory could hurt you.

PokerMaster
11-22-2004, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't include it also, I dont think its yet recognized by society as a master mind game, although we (pokerplayers) know that we have that sixth poker sense.

Senor Choppy
11-22-2004, 04:50 PM
I think poker has the potential to either put you over the top of other candidates or kill your chances entirely.

If you believe there are going to be a lot of other applicants with qualifications as good or better than yours, I'd mention it. If you thought you were a shoe-in for the spot, I'd definitely leave it off.

JinX11
11-22-2004, 04:55 PM
If not in your resume, it sounds like your poker experience might be an ideal conversation piece in the interview. Best of luck!

MarkL444
11-22-2004, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If not in your resume, it sounds like your poker experience might be an ideal conversation piece in the interview. Best of luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, maybe this is a better idea. i wouldnt leave it untouched though

astroglide
11-22-2004, 05:05 PM
the edit with the job description certainly changes things. will you get an interview regardless of what you put down? if so, i'd save the poker stuff for the interview. you can bring it out if you feel it will help.

cockandbull
11-22-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm pretty sure i'm going put that im going to put it in. What aspects of the playing would you include, and how mcuh detail would/should i go into.

harry

Sponger15SB
11-22-2004, 09:14 PM
PT screen shot for sure.

cockandbull
11-25-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm still having problems with how to include it, could someone give me a few pointers. went to the book store to pick up something on resume building, but the selection and content of the books seemed poor.

thanks in advance harry

daryn
11-25-2004, 12:31 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

sells these:

http://www.prizes1.com/cowboysbn250footballs.jpg

cockandbull
11-25-2004, 12:51 PM
lol, maybe i should have put soccer trader, (UK)

Daryn, do you have a copy of top close to hand. could you list the chapters. havent got mine at the mo and was going to include things like implied odds etc etc etc, but cant remember everything in it.

cheers

harry