PDA

View Full Version : Best method for rebuy tournaments

TheJunkyardGod
11-22-2004, 12:40 PM
I recently entered a live tournament at the Tropicana in Atlantic City. It was 20 dollar entry fee, rebuys/add-on included.

As soon as the tournament started, I realized that I wasnt prepared to play the type of game I found myself in.

All during the re-buy hands it was nothing but a mad-dash for chips. All-ins every other hand with mediocre hands. Bust-out and rebuy and try again. I had never played like that before and was really caught off guard. I ended up busting out quite early after the 4th round.

Does anyone have a strategy for games like this? Should I play just as reckless and expect to have a rebuy or two? Should I simply avoid these low limit tournaments and move up a level or two?

smoore
11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I would rebuy immediately and play super tight. AA-TT, suited broadways, maybe offsuit broadways if LP. Put it all in if you get AA or KK, I wouldn't try to actually "play" with those hands. Don't bother to defend a blind. If you bust, you bust. If you get lucky and get some monsters during the rebuy period you should be in great shape.

Toro
11-22-2004, 01:02 PM
Good advice. And also, forget about bluffing.

Oblomov
11-22-2004, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would rebuy immediately and play super tight. AA-TT, suited broadways, maybe offsuit broadways if LP. Put it all in if you get AA or KK, I wouldn't try to actually "play" with those hands. Don't bother to defend a blind. If you bust, you bust. If you get lucky and get some monsters during the rebuy period you should be in great shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sound advice. Also, I would limit myself to just that one rebuy. It is, in my opinion, a mistake to buy back into a tourney after busting out, when you know there are people playing that already have double or tripple your stack.

ZootMurph
11-22-2004, 11:52 PM
I think I've mentioned this exact problem at the Trop in AC in other posts. That's why I don't even bother playing there. You may think it's just because it is a cheap tourney, but I played in a $200 rebuy there, and one guy had 15 rebuys in the rebuy period. At another table, one of the tournament people just hung at this table and kept replenishing this one guy's chips. Legend has it that he had 41 rebuys ($8200, and the first prize ended up just over $9000)...

At the Trop, I just push with AA-JJ and AKs. Otherwise, I'm only playing pocket pairs and suited big Aces... And, like others said, I rebuy at the beginning, and that's it for me. If I make it to the addon break, I'll take the addon depending on my chip count. Just needs to be worth taking.

jackdaniels
11-23-2004, 12:05 AM
I was just watching the Stars 10+1 rebuy and Teecoy was re-buying to 3000 and pushing with EVERY hand (inlcuding 7-2o). Once he doubled (sheer luck) he played a more solid game from a bigger stack perspective. I've read that Daniel N plays a similar re-buy tourney strategy.

Just another way to play it I guess (with deep pockets!)

M.B.E.
11-23-2004, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is, in my opinion, a mistake to buy back into a tourney after busting out, when you know there are people playing that already have double or tripple your stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. If you had positive EV on your initial buyin, you have positive EV on a rebuy after you bust out (in fact even if you haven't, generally speaking).

This forum really needs a FAQ.

stabn
11-23-2004, 03:12 PM
IMO, don't play a rebuy without being willing to rebuy two or three times. You're going to want to see more flops than normal in a rebuy period because you're looking for a good flop to get all your chips in on. Rebuys are all about building a bigger stack early than you can in a normal tournament, so make sure you see flops, even if they are raised, with suited connectors, suited aces and small pairs.

binions
11-23-2004, 04:10 PM
I play the Rebuys on Stars.

For the 10+R, there is usualyy $47-52 in the pot for every person remaining at the break. Which means if you get to the break for $11, $21, $31, $41 or even $51, you are better off than if you had played a $50+5.

So, allow yourself some rebuying, and certainly an add on. Don't overdo it, however. Consistently paying $61-$91+ in these tournaments is ruin.

As for style of play during the rebuy period, you can be a tad looser than normal, but not much. The main adjustment is being more aggressive than normal, as many will call and/or re-raise the big bets you make.

Also, if you happen to build a big stack early, don't press small edges at the end of the rebuy period as people are looking to take chances and double up with the worst of it, and you will often lose your big stack to a suckout. In other words, its OK press the small edges early, but only press the big edges late.

Woody09
11-23-2004, 04:58 PM
This makes so much sense, thanks for the good advice. I think I'll play at the trop on Friday or the Borgata. Recomend one?

binions
11-23-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately, never played at either one. Can't help. Sorry.

ZootMurph
11-23-2004, 06:09 PM
Woody, I'd recommend the Borgata... it's less maniacal there. Played in one rebuy there (a WPT satellite), and play was loose during rebuy, but not constant allins with anything.

Personally, I like the Taj. They don't have rebuys, but their payout structure is ridiculous if you win (I believe it's 50% for 1st)...

TimmyJames
11-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey, I have played in that tourney too. It is fun, but you are right, crazy. The first time I played in it there were over 200 people. I played super tight, and I mean super tight in the rebuy stage. I made it inot the next stage ( which many did not) with about 75% more chips then the starting amount, then added on. It seetles down a lot after that rebuy ends, and a lot of the maniacs bust out shortly after that. I eventually made it to the cash and went out 11th. 8-11 all went out within a minute of each other. So, what worked somewhat was Very tight and strong moves when you have something early on, just try to get out of that rebuy with slightly more checks then you had. Then add on, then play your game. Also, if you do get into the cash, usually top 18, make some strong moves early on. Those blinds get ridiculous and the payout from 18 up to 10 isnt much different, so try and move up into the top 9 or higher. That my input, hope it helps.

TimmyJames
11-23-2004, 10:36 PM
if you rebuy initially, and plan to add on, then bust out and want to rebuy again, it get hair. First, you are short stacking yourself compared to many others, also, you would have thrown in 20+20+20+10 entry fee + 20 add on and if you bust n double rebuy that another 20 bringing you to $110. I won maybe 180 or 190 coming in 11th...so its a tough choice to make.

woodguy
11-23-2004, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This forum really needs a FAQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.
What should be in there?

I think there should be links to

1) Best overall strategy posts freezeouts

1a) Best overall strategy posts re-buy

2) Different approaches to stealing

3) The fact that CEV=$EV until payouts rise per placing posts and the implications of this fact. (a.k.a. "should I fold AA preflop on the 1st hand of a tourney post", or "how big of an edge do I need")

4) Short stack play

5) Deep stack play (how much should I splash around)

What other topics would be good?

Regards,
Woodguy

M.B.E.
11-24-2004, 12:49 AM
Other questions for the FAQ:

6) Blinds were 50/100, my stack was 700, I openraised to 300 with AT and someone raised allin, should I call?

7) How can a good player like me ever do well at low-buyin tourneys when everyone calls my raises with bad cards and sucks out? Should I move up to the $200 tourneys where luck is less of a factor?

Stoneii
11-24-2004, 08:32 AM
yes, with deep pockets Teecoy is hoping that table stays together long enough for him to take back a lot of chips from a table that has bucketloads, therefore he has a better chance of going deeper in tournie given he can play a bit /images/graemlins/wink.gif

stoneii

jackdaniels
11-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Interesting. He doesn't mind dumping a bunch of chips on the table (assuming he loses all his all ins) hoping to get them back before it breaks? I did see him triple up at some point before losing all his chips 3 minutes before rebuy period ended - at which point he called it quits.

And yes, he can definetly "play a bit" /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigStick_25
11-24-2004, 03:21 PM
I feel the best way to play a Rebuy / Add-on game is to Buy in originally for 1 of the rebuys this will start you with usually double the original starting chips. Play your game the same as always or maybe a little tighter the only time I would loosen up my play would be if your in a shaky call hand like say you have a straight with a 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif board and you feel like the All-In push from your opponent is a steal attempt. If you feel you have a correct read on your opponent you can comfortably call because if you are wrong you are not out you can Re-Buy. The best thing to do in a tourney like this is wait for your cards and then attack. After the Re-Buy is over then return to your game and as for the players that were lucky to get through bluffing and buying pots they usually are out shortly after.

Just My Two Cents! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

kalooki45
12-06-2004, 09:45 AM
As a new player, I don't give poker advice, but I'll tell you what I'd love to see on an MTT FAQ!

1. Changing strategy for the different stages of a tournament.
2. How to steal
3. Best bluffs, and when it's + to make them (and why)
4. Raising big hands, and what to do when reraised in all positions.
5. When to stay with an orphan flop (and why)
6. Dealing with the table bully..
7. Defending your blinds,,,when and where
8. PLaying short stacked
9. Surviving cold cards
10. How to use the advantage of a big stack
11. Heads-up Short and Big --how to play from both those positions. /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
12. The numbers you need--how to calculate whether your hand has a chance on random flops..percentages of probability that : someone has a pair, someone has 3 of a suit, 4 of a straight, etc.

rybones
12-06-2004, 02:46 PM
for my last three ps 10+1 tournies I decided I would push all in in the first 30 minutes with A,10o or better and rebuy as many times as needed. All three time I made it two the break with Above average stacks (once I was in 5th place). all three times I made the money. The key was being able to pickout the maniacs and hopeing to have that A,10 hand or better when they went all in.