PDA

View Full Version : QQ late in tournament

goodsoup
11-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Pick up QQ with 26 left in a tournament paying 20. Blinds 400-800. UTG raises T9000, which is half his stack. You have T8500. You do what?

ghostface
11-22-2004, 12:32 PM
If you are playing to win I think you push here? If you are playing for the money I would push here too. I'm sure I'm wrong somehow cause I never seem to do anything right. But I dont see how you can just fold or call when the flop can put you behind with more then half your stack gone.

Put your money in while you are ahead unless you have an almost certain AA or KK read on the raiser.

tigerite
11-22-2004, 12:34 PM
9000? That sounds to me like a hand that doesn't want to be called. Such as A-x or a medium pair. I call and expect to see 99-77 or A-4 suited or some such rubbish.

goodsoup
11-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Solid player. Raised UTG? If he was on the button and made that raise, maybe. You're saying he's basically trying to steal the blinds from first position. I put him on AA, KK or AK. AA or KK would have me as a huge underdog, AK would give roughly 50/50. I don't think he'd make that bet with JJ ot 1010, and if he has QQ it doesn't really gain me anything. However, I pushed. AK. 26th place.

adios
11-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Fold, call or raise?

Fold, uh no.

Call? Only if you could possibly make a laydown on the flop if an Ace or King comes.

Raise all in, most of the time IMO but it looks to me like your hand is too good to fold and a call makes you pot committed so just get in their most of the time.

goodsoup
11-22-2004, 12:43 PM
If I called his preflop bet, I'd be all in already.

tigerite
11-22-2004, 12:46 PM
Surely, with AA or KK he would make a smaller raise, or even limp UTG to entice someone to raise, then he can go over the top of them. Why waste these great hands and just win the blinds plus antes with them? AK or a medium pair is what I would have expected, even UTG, to be honest.

Chief911
11-22-2004, 02:17 PM
This is a very easy push. He could easily be making that raise with a small PP, medium PP, AK, etc. If you cannot make a move with QQ, then forget about it.

I had the same situation last night in the Empire 50k. I had 15k and was one of the larger stacks. I raise to 1200, and get reraised to 4k. I autopush, he calls with AK, and its a coin flip. Results dont matter, I'd do the same thing every time. Too many chances they have Ax or a smaller PP to EVER lay that down except in some very special circumstances.

Nick

fnurt
11-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Agree, you absolutely, positively have to push here, unless it is a satellite where 20th pays the same as 1st.

Synth
11-22-2004, 02:28 PM
I push here. You only have a tad over 10.5 BB's left and being so close to the money doubling your stack is exactly what you want.

I doubt a player is going to make a 11x BB raise UTG with AA, KK or even AK. I can be very certin (unless this player happend to be a fish who got this far out of pure luck) you're definitaly ahead to what he holds.

-- Just read a little more of this thread and this player did infact have AK.

Bad bet imo by the UTG. Unlucky for you that you didn't hold up during that coin flip while your money was in with the best of it.

Good luck in the future.

binions
11-22-2004, 02:38 PM
What are u waiting for, a better situation?

SossMan
11-22-2004, 03:00 PM
...MOOOOOOOOO"

JARID
11-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Hi soup,

Sorry this hand didn't work out for you. Quick thought: He raised over 9x the BB from UTG. To me, that says "I would prefer to just take down the blinds here, but am prepared to go all the way." Thus, AK makes perfect sense followed closely by JJ and TT. AA and KK are options I suppose, but most guys typically do something to encourage a little more action on those hands. I think your range of hands was off a little bit and thats why you are questionning your move. You did ok to get your chips in here IMO.

Regards,
Jarid

grandgnu
11-22-2004, 03:25 PM
His overbet of the pot screams pocket Jacks or lower (i.e. don't call me with your overcards, just go away and let me take the blinds)

His bet with the A/K was way over the top for that type of hand in my opinion and I wouldn't have put him on it. Regardless, you got your money in with the best of it and got outdrawn. Unfortunately that happens, but I would have called too.