PDA

View Full Version : Limit Tourny mid-late stages

11-19-2001, 10:14 PM
I'm stumped. Usually when I get busted out of a tourny, I can point right to where I screwed up. That's not the case here, and I'm wondering if y'all can help me.

I was in a limit tourny, with 150 - 160 entrants. We are down to 4 tables. Pays final table (final 9).

I have 2600 in chips, blinds are 200-400, limits are 400-800. I'm in the small blind. I just moved to this table (my BB was the first hand, at it was raised and I mucked), so I know nothing about anybody except the guy to my immediate left (BB for this hand).

All muck to the button who raises. I have A9s. I think a case can be made for calling, reraising, or mucking. Your thoughts?

I called, as did the BB (bummer - if I had 3 bet, I may have had a better chance to isolate...but I may have isolated myself against a much better hand, and that's not what I want to do). I now have 1800 in chips. Button had about 4000 going into the flop, and BB had over 5000.

Flop comes 8 7 6 rainbow, with one spade.

Hmmm, what to do?

My guess is that everybody has at least a little piece of this flop (gutshot, pair, openender, or two big overcards). I don't think that anybody will fold for one bet (but I can't really tell that, since nobody has acted). I check, hoping to checkraise if the button bets, and just call if the BB bets.

My rationale: If the button bets, a CR (Checkraise) may knock out the BB who is likely to have overcards or a gutshot (assuming he checks).

If the BB bets, and the button raises, I will probably muck. If the BB bets and the button mucks, I will call, hoping to draw cheaply. If the BB bets and the button calls, I will call. Is this sound logic?

BB checks, Button bets, I checkraise, and the BB 3-bets. Drat. Button folds, I call. I am now down to a measely 600 in chips, and will be going all in on the turn.

Turn is a 7 (non spade). I check BB bets, I call all in. I really don't like where I'm at now, since I may be drawing dead, but I view the 6000 pot as very worthwhile, and my 600 stack as worthless, so I call. He has pocket 8's flopped top set, and I'm drawing dead (not where I like to be when I'm out of chips).

Your thoughts? BB was a very tight player, and i think that a 3-bet preflop would have made him lay it down (but who knows what the Button had).

Would any of you had played it differently (I could see a fold anywhere, a reraise BTF, a fold on the turn and hope for the best....your thoughts?)

Thanks in advance,

Worm

11-21-2001, 01:04 PM
I would either fold (since this hand isn't that good) or reraise with the intention of betting all the way. You need more chips. If the BB is any kind of tight like you say, he will have a tough time calling for a third of his stack when he puts you on at least overcards and possibly a bigger pair.

I would bet the flop. There aren't going to be too many people playing draws at this point of the tournament, so if they hold a 9 they will fold. They may also fold 2nd or 3rd pair. If you are raised, you can decide from there if you want to continue.