PDA

View Full Version : Ciaffone's No-Limit Advice. Do You Agree?

11-15-2001, 11:50 PM
Bob Ciaffone gives some No-Limit Hold'em(Tournament)advice from his book 'Improve Your Poker.' P.197

"When I do limp with A-K or A-Q in a tournament, it is with the intention of moving in on most people who raise me."

[He uses the word 'most' since he says he may toss those hands to a rock if raised.]

What do you think of this advice?(This isn't from the satellite section either)

11-16-2001, 09:39 AM
I would think that this advice would be best suited in short handed games near the end of an event or at final tables when down to 6-7 players or less.

I can't imagine risking my stack on this play early in an event, especially during a rebuy period.

But I do think that it would greatly depend on the opponent, as most plays do. I would certainly lay it down against certain players.

Keep playing hard!

11-16-2001, 09:59 PM
It depends on the size of the raise you're up against. The reason Ciaffone likes this play is because it puts the initial raiser in a very difficult situation unless he has pocket Aces or Kings. If someone raises your A-K or A-Q and you decide they don't have a huge pair, I think coming back over the top is a very strong play because there are numerous hands which have you beat that your opponent would be forced (probably) to lay down. And if they don't lay it down you're still a 50/50 shot or better. Of course, coming over the top with A-Q and getting called with pocket Kings is a very lame way to get knocked out of a tournament, so your read has to be solid.

Craig H