PDA

View Full Version : Cover Blown

KenProspero
11-21-2004, 10:59 PM
What do do here.

Low stakes game. Several players are VERY loose. After 20-25 hands, one of the players has apparantly noticed how tight I am and is commenting in the room. (In this case, I had been receiving terrible cards, and probably had only voluntarily bet once). It got worse, when I was finally dealt a hand (QQ) and showed the cards. Bigmouth said I shouldn't be such a rock, and play real hands.

It seemed to me I had three options.

1. Ignore bigmouth.

2. Try to converse with bigmouth (and make light of the situation-- don't see what this does unless I just want to be social) or

3. What I did. Basically, I told Bigmouth that when he staked me he could tell me how to play, and that if I wanted to play tight, I would. Having said this, I started trying to steal hands. And managed to sneak away 3 or 4 pots with nothing in the next 10 hands.

How would others deal with having one's cover (as a tight player in a loose game) blown?

Desdia72
11-21-2004, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do do here.

Low stakes game. Several players are VERY loose. After 20-25 hands, one of the players has apparantly noticed how tight I am and is commenting in the room. (In this case, I had been receiving terrible cards, and probably had only voluntarily bet once). It got worse, when I was finally dealt a hand (QQ) and showed the cards. Bigmouth said I shouldn't be such a rock, and play real hands.

It seemed to me I had three options.

1. Ignore bigmouth.

2. Try to converse with bigmouth (and make light of the situation-- don't see what this does unless I just want to be social) or

3. What I did. Basically, I told Bigmouth that when he staked me he could tell me how to play, and that if I wanted to play tight, I would. Having said this, I started trying to steal hands. And managed to sneak away 3 or 4 pots with nothing in the next 10 hands.

How would others deal with having one's cover (as a tight player in a loose game) blown?

[/ QUOTE ]

you handle it the way a winning (thinking) player would--- continue to play YOUR game. let the loose players kill themselves. i've coasted into the last 3 spots many times in SNGs by not worrying about how other perceive my play. man times i've been heckled in a $5 + $.50 game of crazies and more often times than not, outlasted them all to either win or at least cash...while they burned themselves out saying, "i'd rather be Gus Hansen than Dan Harrington". thing is, their not even Gus Hansen. don't worry about the magpies, keep doing you.

tdp
11-22-2004, 02:42 AM
I like it when someone points out to the entire table how tight I'm playing.It leaves me wide open for steals.
When I play SNG's,I lock down and only play primo hands until 4 people are knocked out.Then I can usually open up and run over the table.It's usually much easier when someone has pointed out my tightness.

Phill S
11-22-2004, 08:44 AM
i agree totally.

its not so much a cover blows as a thank you for pointing it out to the less observant.

in a pokerroom game over the weekend i didnt play a single hand until the start of level 5 (they were that poor), and so when it was pointed out and i got a couple of cards that just about held together i could start using my image against them.

having them know your tight is not a problem. having them know you steal with junk is the bigger problem. however there isnt much you can do about it.

Phill

Stoneii
11-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Fantastic free advertising for you.

Never show your cards again though and they'll keep thinking you are tightest. Lurvely stealing when you most need to!!

stoneii

mackthefork
11-22-2004, 09:49 AM
I always try to make light of it, tell them you got crap all the time, point out when they fold to the table, and when they raise, fold and tell them you just put down queens because you were sure you were beaten. If you keep them happy you keep them loose, the one thing you don't want is them playing tighter.

Regards Mack

Marcotte
11-22-2004, 04:05 PM
Option 4:
Tell Bigmouth that you won't tell him how to spend his money if he doesn't tell you how to spend his money either.