PDA

View Full Version : Party 3/6 TT - Protecting hand in big pot or going too far?

spamuell
11-21-2004, 09:53 PM
The pre-flop 3-bettor was loose and aggressive before the flop (although passive afterwads) and he also had only 2BB left when he 3-bet me. I probably had some other reads but I don't remember them.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 <font color="purple">(LA-P)</font> 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 <font color="purple">(LA-P)</font> calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Flop: (20.33 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">LA-P raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (19.16 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

River: (22.16 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 22.16 BB

I called the turn with the intention of spiking a T or folding the river but I doubt I would have actually folded the river due to the enormous pot and being annoyed at myself forever if I lost.

Part of me during this hand was like "YOU MUST PROTECT YOUR HAND!" even if the chance of being best is not huge and part of me was like "wtf are you doing? you're obviously losing." Looking back I think I shouldn't have 3-bet the flop and should have raised a safe turn card, but given what the turn card was, what should I have done?

Comments?

sfer
11-21-2004, 10:02 PM
You're in bad position relative to the LAG, so I really don't see how you can manipulate him into springing two bets on the turn, especially given that he's only got 2 BBs to work with. It looks like you got handcuffed and I really don't see another way to play this, aside from thanking the button for giving you a cheap showdown.

willperkins
11-21-2004, 10:14 PM
I too would have raised preflop, but would not have capped it after MP2 3 bet it.

Just like you, I would have bet on the flop, however I would have only called after MP2 raised. If anyone re-raises I fold because this hand is shaping up like all I have is a two-outer to win.

I would have checked the turn and folded to any bet. I agree the pot is huge and almost offering me the correct odds to try to hit my two outer, but I fgiure I'm behind because with three others in the pot, one of them is bound to have a King.

I tend to play a little weak/tight so I welcome all criticisms of my play.

spamuell
11-21-2004, 10:42 PM
I too would have raised preflop, but would not have capped it after MP2 3 bet it.

MP2 could have lots of worse hands and I'm not that scared of people who have just called. Would you cap with JJ here?

[ QUOTE ]

I would have checked the turn and folded to any bet. I agree the pot is huge and almost offering me the correct odds to try to hit my two outer, but I fgiure I'm behind because with three others in the pot, one of them is bound to have a King.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a reason to call, because it inreases your implied odds.