PDA

View Full Version : Any Dukies here?

ClaytonN
11-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Been looking over colleges lately, was mainly looking into the University of Georgia until my November SAT came back (1470, making composite best a 1500). My best used to be a 1390, but now I feel like I've got more options. My GPA is a 3.4, 3.7 weighted, 75% honors classes for course rigor.

With composite 1500 and a 3.41 (or a 3.7), do I have a shot in hell with Duke?

And if not Duke, what other good schools to look at that I might've missed?

Clarkmeister
11-21-2004, 09:03 PM
It's spelled "Dookies". /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ClaytonN
11-21-2004, 09:03 PM
Oh, of course /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Duke
11-21-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With composite 1500 and a 3.41 (or a 3.7), do I have a shot in hell with Duke?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably turn you down. I don't like guys.

They did not turn me down, though. This is a long time ago before the SAT averages got bumped, but I had a 1490 and a 3.97 and it was no problem to get in.

I chose not to go, since I had better options, but I'd guess you'll get in just fine.

~D

mmbt0ne
11-21-2004, 09:46 PM
What do you want to major in. That makes it a lot easier to recommend something.

ClaytonN
11-21-2004, 09:51 PM
Business & associated majors

ThaSaltCracka
11-21-2004, 10:11 PM
you are in high school?

bdk3clash
11-21-2004, 10:13 PM
I graduated from Duke in 2000. It can't hurt to apply.

Have you checked out Emory?

Shilly
11-21-2004, 10:16 PM
With an SAT of 1500, getting into almost any school you want to (minus a few Ivy leagues), should be a breeze.

By the way, did you take the PSAT? It qualifies you for a National Merit Scholarship, which you would be eligible for with your score. Although mine for UW was only $5,000, a guy from one of the schools close to mine got a full ride to Duke (I think).

ClaytonN
11-21-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm a NMS semifinalist.

High school, yes. Minor, no.

Emory is also on my list along with Duke.

The "free ride" aspect is huge, as money is lacking in the payment-for-college department.

bdk3clash
11-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Not to poop on anyone, but a 1500 SAT score is far from a guarantee that you'll get into Duke. It's a lot more selective than a lot of people here seem to be giving credit for.

Dominic
11-21-2004, 10:30 PM
with that good of an SAT score, why would you choose Georgia? Granted, Athens is a fantastic college town, but if you have a chance of going to Duke, go.

ClaytonN
11-21-2004, 10:31 PM
A 1500 is around the 72nd percentile for Duke.

But my unweighted GPA sucks. It'd be nice to know if Duke counts my GPA as weighted or unweighted.

My school system adds an extra 7 points for honors and AP classes for transcripts, and colleges usually accept or deduct the weighted part. UGA, for instance, takes the 7 points off and moves from there.

So that'd be kinda important too...

mmbt0ne
11-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Do you live in Georgia? If you do, that should make UGA an easy choice. There's not much school cheaper than free school. Plus, it's a lot better school now than people give it credit for. And if you want to experience the college life, Athens blows Atlanta and Durham away as far as college towns go.

ClaytonN
11-21-2004, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
with that good of an SAT score, why would you choose Georgia? Granted, Athens is a fantastic college town, but if you have a chance of going to Duke, go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until the morning that I found out about my 1500, Georgia was practically my only option. With the 3.4/1390, plus all the intangibles UGA offered, it was the only option since Tech sucks.

But now I've got new options, obviously. I want to know what odds I've got from people who've obviously had experience with the admission process. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ClaytonN
11-21-2004, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you live in Georgia? If you do, that should make UGA an easy choice. There's not much school cheaper than free school. Plus, it's a lot better school now than people give it credit for. And if you want to experience the college life, Athens blows Atlanta and Durham away as far as college towns go.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live up near the Atlanta Athletic Club. So yea, the intagibles and the Hope Scholarship are a huge factor.

But if I can get a scholarship to Emory or Duke, there's no way I'm not gonna factor that.

bdk3clash
11-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's obviously a fantastic SAT score. It's just that a lot of elite colleges make it sound a lot easier to get into them than it really is because they like having such a high number of applicants and hence a lower acceptance/higher selectivity rate.

At a school like Duke (or Harvard or Yale or Stanford or whatever), they really have their pick of who to take and will tend to go for really well rounded/accomplished types or people who are freakishly good at something.

You sound like you'd have as good a chance as anyone, and I definitely encourage you to apply. I can recommend Duke wholeheartedly.

mmbt0ne
11-21-2004, 10:54 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
With the 3.4/1390, plus all the intangibles UGA offered, it was the only option since Tech sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You suck, and I hope you end up getting your degree through a mail-order program.

Ok, got that out. A lot of schools like Emory and Duke won't offer many academic scholarships. If you don't have a history of volunteer work, clubs, and other interscholastic activities, it's going to be really hard. If you do, that 1500 composite will help you out a good deal, but I don't think that alone will do it. I'm assuming you want to stay around the southeast, since every school you listed was around here. Other schools you might want to consider: Vandy, UVA, and Washington and Lee.

john smith
11-22-2004, 08:11 PM
What's your class rank? Your GPA seems quite low compared to your SAT scores, but maybe they just calculate it differently at your school.

Just to let you know, Duke rejected me this spring. I had a 1590 (3 years of SAT school will do that for you) and a 4.3 weighted (3.85 unweighted). My application sucked though, I had crappy letters of rec and my personal statement was on the weak side.

I think you have a good shot at getting accepted. Just be sure to put a lot of time and effort into your application. Get good letters of recommendations and give yourself plenty of time to write your personal statement. Good luck!

ClaytonN
11-22-2004, 08:21 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the replies. Odds are good I'll be going for the honors program at UGA (they're becoming more reputable with the hope scholarship and all). Duke and Emory and etc. have their appeal, but the intangibles with Georgia are too big to pass up. Free, good school, friends, great college scene, etc.

nothumb
11-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Good choice. Duke is ass.

Go Heels! Preseason number one, beetches!

NT