PDA

View Full Version : The Stop N Go

Chris Daddy Cool
11-21-2004, 08:28 PM
Party 15/30 8 handed.

no real read on MP but he seems kinda aggro based on a hand i saw him overplay TPTK, but bb is weak/tightish

MP openraises. Folded to me in the SB with A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. I call. BB calls. 3 of us to the flop for 6 small bets.

Flop: 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet. BB calls. MP raises. I call. BB calls.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet. BB calls. MP raises. I 3-bet. BB folds. MP calls.

River: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet. MP calls.

cold_cash
11-21-2004, 08:32 PM
With the BB coming along for the ride I see myself 3-betting the flop, but I don't know if that's the best play.

I'm interested to find out why you took this approach.

sthief09
11-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Fish Daddy-

you used this line against me. I actually suggested it as a possible line for someone to take with AA in MHS earlier today. I like it. you manage to trap BB in the pot. the only part I don't love about this line is that you're giving BB odds to draw to a 5 outer on the flop when you don't 3-bet. I don't know how dangerous this is, but you extracted an extra 1.5 SB from him, and got as much from MP as possible. you easily maximized profit here. actually, since the pot is so small, it's probably not a big deal that you don't squeeze BB out.

also, a river check-raise would've been funny, though I doubt it would've worked

Trix
11-21-2004, 08:38 PM
I´ve done it too, but I was in the BB, so it was HU.

Given that the BB made so many unprofitable calls, it looks like the coldcall was worth it to keep him in though he will have some kind of equity.

I´m not sure the coldcall pre gained you more action post though, but it did give you some money from the BB. Having him fold the turn after calling once was especially sweet /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

However, since the BB was weak-tightish, you must not have expected him to come along unless he had a hand that warrented it and I dont assume you were expecting him to get trapped either, so 3betting pre is probably the way to go.

It looks like coldcalling would have more value against a guy who plays bad post, but would call far more hands for one than 2 in the BB.

Since you didn´t 3bet pre, I dont think you can play it any other way post.

Trix
11-21-2004, 08:40 PM
He got 5:1 on an 8:1 draw that cdc has a pretty good redraw against 3/5th of the time.

I just dont think this line fits the description of the BB very well.

Shillx
11-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Sneaky preflop call, and it looks good if it will cause MP to overplay his hand. A 3-bet is likely to lose BB and might cause MP to slow down some.

Brad

sthief09
11-21-2004, 08:42 PM
I said he gets odds to call the second time around, when he gets 11-1 closing the action

Chris Daddy Cool
11-21-2004, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
also, a river check-raise would've been funny, though I doubt it would've worked

[/ QUOTE ]

here is a hand i played against sublime last night shorthanded. he's on the button and raises. i 3-bet in the sb with AQ. bb folds. he calls.

flop: KQQ.
i bet. he calls.

turn: blank
i bet. he calls.

river: blank
i check. he bets. i raise. he calls me with Kx. and he calls me a fcucker. i chuckled.

EDIT: btw, respond to my response on the T7o thing.

Chris Daddy Cool
11-21-2004, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
actually, since the pot is so small, it's probably not a big deal that you don't squeeze BB out.

[/ QUOTE ]

given that this wasn't a bloated pot already, i was willing to risk it in a small-medium-ish pot, wrong or not.

sfer
11-21-2004, 09:43 PM
I like this stop n' go a lot against overaggros who will raise a second time. I watched bdk3clash use it to perfection last night, including saying, "If you call, your lose" on the river.

Nate tha' Great
11-21-2004, 10:04 PM
I think this play might be slightly incorrect from a hand protection perspective. You're confronting BB with 11:1 to overcall if you just call when it comes back around to you, in a pot that is eventually going to grow to be quite large. I think that I'd want to take the opportunity to knock out something like 87 or 65 while I could.

Clarkmeister
11-21-2004, 10:04 PM
That's a nice variation.

me454555
11-21-2004, 10:28 PM
I like it as a variation but I think its very player dependant, you have to make sure MP will raise the turn

Lawrence Ng
11-21-2004, 10:33 PM
Some tricky good player did almost the same thing once to me when I was in the BB with 2-5 suited. He had AA too and I flopped two pair, rivered the boat. Had he 3-bet pre-flop I would've been gone like the wind.

If you were BB instead and it was HU and you knew the raiser was a good player, then yes calling with slight variation on how you would play the hand would be correct. However, smooth calling from the SB allowing the BB to come along for a cheap call is just wrrrroooonnnggg dude.....

But of course you know this already.... mmmmkkkaaayyy...

Lawrence

sfer
11-21-2004, 10:36 PM
I would be thrilled to have the BB call if I were CDC. And if I 3-bet and the BB folded, I would decidedly not feel any relief.