PDA

View Full Version : NLH mistakes with suited flops

11-12-2001, 10:05 PM
Two different tournaments...one at the Orleans the other at the mirage.

First hand

I have AsKc under the gun. Blinds are 50/100. My stack is 1200 and I make it 300 to go. I get two callers. Blinds fold.

Flop comes 3 7 10...all spades.

I check?

Next player with a slighter higher stack of chips than mine goes all in. Third player folds. I call. I definately had odds to call here, but I believe I should have gone all in on the flop.

Comments please

Second hand

I have JsJc second in. Blinds are 50/100. My stack is about 1400. Under the gun calls. I make it 400 to go. One caller who again has a stack slightly larger than mine. Everyone folds is us heads up.

A similar flop has before 3 6 10...this time all hearts. I check, he bets all in. I fold. Again I believe I should have gone all in on the flop.

11-12-2001, 10:20 PM
First hand. If I am going to put my whole stack in anyways. I might as well put it in first. I have the Ace of spades, so the other two players would have to decide else will have to decide if their hand is any good, and they would almost have to fold a weak holding that has my hand beat at the moment.

Turns out, the guy had pocket 9's and didn't have the 9 of spades. 9d came on the turn and a Q fell on the river.

Second hand. Well the guy won since I folded. I showed my hand, because I was pretty sure he would show me his. He had AcQh. Lots of outs against my hand. Since I had about the right odds to call anyways, I should have gone all in first. I knew he didn't have AA KK and probably not QQ or AK either. Leaving me with what was most likely the best hand on the flop. By going all in, it would make it hard for him to call with a weak holding that has a good draw against me, unless of course he had the Ace of hearts.

I'm just not aggressive enough in no limit...Yet.

Comments please /images/smile.gif

11-12-2001, 10:22 PM

11-13-2001, 07:05 AM
My inclination is definitely to agree with you.

In the first hand you must pressure your opponents since you were going to call anyway.

The second hand is a definite allin first to act. No overcards have come and although there are 3 hearts on the table, it could have been 3 spades, clubs or diamonds. If he flopped a flush good luck to him, he wins. But by checking in this situation you say i've either got nothing or a monster. And he knows full well you would have had to be very lucky to flop a monster. At this obviously late stage of the tournament, you can't worry about finding a monster under the bed. Just move those chips when no overcard falls (and usually when a single overcard falls). If you are beat you are beat, but if you check and fold his cards don't matter.

11-13-2001, 09:08 AM
Your second thoughts are correct. Barring some unstated facts that might swing things another way, these are pretty clear hands. Push it all-in on the flop, and hope you win whether called or not.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

11-13-2001, 03:10 PM
Absolutely, you don't have enough chips to wait around for better opportunities. These are pretty good ones to try and win without showing. You have a good shot even if called.

Would anyone have gone all-in before the flop in the JJ hand to make sure it gets heads up or win it right there? I might given the chip situation.