PDA

View Full Version : rybones needs advice and serious help.

rybones
11-21-2004, 04:49 PM
ok, this really belongs in the mmt forum, but this is my home so I'll post here as well.

Anyway, after falling out of the 2+2 private tourney, I got in a 27+2 satalite for today's 350,000 and won. Go Me. Only problem is that I have been playing only the 20 tables and really gooffing around with my play as I try to learn poker. My bankroll doesn't allow me to play these type of stakes so I am nervous. so, any advice? is the play drastically different then the 10+1 mmts? I gotta figure the lack of re-buys and the stakes makes the first hour A little more sane, but what about the play after that?

Or, since I won my way in should I just play really agressive and see what happens? I don't know, any advice or kind words would be great.

Ryan

slickterp
11-21-2004, 05:00 PM
i'd play it like you bought in.

lorinda
11-21-2004, 05:02 PM
My bankroll doesn't allow me to play these type of stakes so I am nervous.

Don't be nervous, think of it as a freeroll. Your AA still beats their KQ the same % of the time.

Play it like you would play a 2+2 game, the standard in the 2+2 game is probably better. (and no, I'm not kidding)

Consider this an early start to your future and enjoy the sneak preview.

Lori

Desdia72
11-21-2004, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, this really belongs in the mmt forum, but this is my home so I'll post here as well.

Anyway, after falling out of the 2+2 private tourney, I got in a 27+2 satalite for today's 350,000 and won. Go Me. Only problem is that I have been playing only the 20 tables and really gooffing around with my play as I try to learn poker. My bankroll doesn't allow me to play these type of stakes so I am nervous. so, any advice? is the play drastically different then the 10+1 mmts? I gotta figure the lack of re-buys and the stakes makes the first hour A little more sane, but what about the play after that?

Or, since I won my way in should I just play really agressive and see what happens? I don't know, any advice or kind words would be great.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

i won a an entry into the Guaranteed event about three weeks or 4 weeks ago. i took the entry fee and played SNGs instead profiting about $175 of free money off the $215 i took as tournament dollars. the odds of you cashing or winning in that tournament is big. you do what you want; however, as a developing player, i feel your entry fee is best spent someplace else.

Stoneii
11-21-2004, 05:20 PM
if you paid $29 to win tournie dollars then yes take the dollars and enjoy loads of £11 SnG's. But if you signed up with a view to "having a stab at it" then do exactly that.

At this late stage of the week the standard on the 1table satellites is usually better as some good players tend to try get in cheaply just before they decide to ante up the full amount (imo). So you can take some pride in winning your entry in the first place - nice one.

Good luck and try to enjoy - as Lori says, it's a cheap sneak preview of the higher MTT's

stoneii

Desdia72
11-21-2004, 05:51 PM
ry,

that was the second time i had won a seat into the big Sunday event on Stars. one was in a 500 FPP Satellite with a little over 100 players (made it to the final table) and the 2nd was a $3 rebuy Satellite with over 500 players. i simply relished in the pride i felt as a developing player that i had accomplished what i had. i felt like why gamble with huge odds on a $215 entry when i can finance my continuing development (without using my personal bankroll) and still make money.

texasrattlers
11-21-2004, 06:01 PM
When was the 500 FPP satellite w/ 100 players in it? There is usually about 200 players in those events.

Desdia72
11-21-2004, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When was the 500 FPP satellite w/ 100 players in it? There is usually about 200 players in those events.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was around May of this year.

lorinda
11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Well played Rybones, thought you were going to squeak into the money for a while there /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I think you gave yourself every chance. You probably have a way to go before you're in those in a regular basis, but the fact you have now played a $200 event should break down a lot of barriers for you.

BTW, you had some amazing players on your second to last table, you held your own amongst the best there.

Lori

rybones
11-22-2004, 12:30 PM
thanks a ton!!! I played, but I played scared. I made it to the 4th break, but I was always short stacked and had to play push or fold most of the night. luckily, my pushes held up untill that point. I missed the money by 100 or so places. The big hand was actually just after the first break, I had a just over average stack and A,J suited on the button, one raiser in front of me who had been stealing a lot so I called. the flop came J high rainbow. he bet 1/2 pot I re-raised the pot and he called. turn was a blank, he checked and I checked behind. I need to to bet big and push him out as a K came on the river he checked and that seemed odd so I checked and he fliped A,K for the win that took half my stack. The really made me start to play even more scared. Oh well, I still think I am proud of playing the short stack well.

Again, thanks for the good wishes.

Ryan

ps. lorinda, thanks to sweetin me.