PDA

View Full Version : Incredibly stupid tourney mistake...

11-11-2001, 05:27 AM
I played in a home NL HE tourney last night, $200 buy in, 80 players. Top 8 get paid, with 60% going to 1st.

I don't play tourney's very often, however i've done some reading recently, and felt good about the game. Also, many of these players, as its a social game, are not real poker players.

No blinds, ante's start at $1, then go to $2 at 90 minutes, $5 half hour later, then $10, then $25, then $50 then $100.

In my survival mood, i steal some pots and make some plays, but sitting down at first $25 table, i get on rush and build my stack to about $1800. At this point, with about 20 players left, I'm among chip leaders. I decide to settle down, and just fire away at checked pots to steal antes. It works.

We get down to two tables, 5 players left at mine and 5 at the other. I still have about $1800 left, antes are now $100. I limp in UTG with 7-8 for $100. There are three callers. Flop comes 2-3-4, with two spades. I don't know what happened, but I bet $1500 on complete bluff (sure, if 5-6 come, or two spades I have hand.) I get called by one player (he's all in) and another player, who has only about $700 left folds an A-5, the straight on the flop!!!!

Other player had a Q-4, with four spades. I can't believe I still have outs. They don't come, and I'm the ninth man out a couple of hands later, just one spot out of the money.

Even though I had decent chip position, I felt very panicky about the $100 blinds eating me up. Of course, I also forgot to really pay attention to where I stood in relation to the final table. ie. how many players exactly left and their chip positions.

A valuble, yet somewhat painful, learning lesson.