PDA

View Full Version : 22 on the Button

nubs
11-21-2004, 02:57 PM
So I'm playing up in Blackhawk Colorado at the 2-5 Spread limit game. I've had a couple bad beats and i may be steaming. My reads are that UTG is TAG and MP3 is a total calling station. I pick up 22 on the Button.

5 limpers to me, I limp for $2

Flop: Q Q Q

UTG Bets, folds to MP3 who calls right on cue, folds to me, I raise

UTG folds, MP3 calls

Turn: 6

Check, Bet, Call

River: 8

Check, Check

Should i have bet the river? Or should i have dumped the hand on the flop? Or perhaps taken a different line all together.

Comments/Suggestions

Grease
11-21-2004, 03:04 PM
A thinking TAG would realize that a flop like this really doesn't hit anyone, and could bet it with literally anything. Your raise isolated the weak calling station, which was important. If the TAG 3 bets, you can dump pretty quickly. I lean towards betting because there are only 7 cards in the deck that he can have to beat you (not counting larger PP). I would bet and expect to get shown an ace or worse. If he check-raises, then it's an easy muck.

sthief09
11-21-2004, 03:12 PM
a TAG probably isn't betting hte flop into 6 people with overcards. he's probably got a pair. there's no shame in folding

sthief09
11-21-2004, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A thinking TAG would realize that a flop like this really doesn't hit anyone, and could bet it with literally anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes no sense at all. why would he bet into 6 people with literally anything? he has to expect people to call him with hands like Ax or Kx. if he's betting, he's got the goods. he probably has a medium pocket pair when he bets. even if he's not beat, he probably has to dodge 4 overcards, which means 12 cards, twice, in a small pot. it's a spread limit game, so the pot is only 2 BB in reality

it's easy to be results oriented and say "oh he folded so he didn't have anything" but if he's really a TAG, he's got a hand. given the way UTG played the hand, he's probably not a good player

Grease
11-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Yeah, you're right. I forgot there were so many limpers. I'm dumb. Forgive me for my stupidity and bad advice.

nubs
11-21-2004, 03:24 PM
I expected UTG to take a stab at the pot with literally anything. I had a fairly TAG table image, and he would often say "Watch out the Tighty is betting" and get out of my way. It's an easy fold if he raises, but what if he calls. At best I have to dodge 12 cards twice like you said. At worst i am drawing to runing twos, lol.

chesspain
11-21-2004, 03:40 PM
I would muck this on the flop in a heartbeat. Every card in the deck is a scare card for you, and turning/rivering a set does you no good. I couldn't think of a worse situation for reverse implied odds than this.

Evan
11-21-2004, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
even if you turn a set you remain vulnerable to every card in the deck

[/ QUOTE ]
Turning a set does nothing except set up a draw to quads.

chesspain
11-21-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
even if you turn a set you remain vulnerable to every card in the deck

[/ QUOTE ]
Turning a set does nothing except set up a draw to quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already amended my post before I saw your response. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

nubs
11-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Well, I was thinking I was ahead at the time and wanted to isolate the calling station. It worked to a tee. I don't know why I didn't make the value bet on the river if I thought I was ahead. Calling station shows K 8 offsuit for the rivered full house, and my tilt continues to escalate.

xxxxx
11-21-2004, 09:05 PM
One time I was UTG with 6-6, and eight people saw the flop unraised. Flop is A-A-A. The floor came over because of the jackpot possibility. I thought I was probably ahead but may not be. Didn't think a bet will thin the weeds much in this field. You know an overcard is going to come on the river and hit somebody. I checked. checked through. Turn card is a duece. Checked through. River is a five. I bet. Got one caller from a guy with a five.

PassiveCaller
11-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Whether or not you should bet the river depends on whether or not he will call with worse hands. If hes going to call with a lot of Ace High Hands and maybe King High hands on the river then I guess we can bet but most of the hands people will call with here are going to beat deuces.

I had a neat response and then I realized you were playing you're crappy spread limit [censored] ;-)

The hand isn't bad. You got headsup with the calling station thats pretty much what you wanted here.

nubs
11-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah, i am getting burnt out on the spread limit game.I can't wait to be back in the SF Bay Area. What are the best 3/6 and 4/8 games around?