PDA

View Full Version : 7 Stud/8 - Call up the pot?

greenage
11-21-2004, 02:19 PM
PokerStars 7 Card Stud Hi/Lo Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - Ante ($0.05)

3rd Street (1.6 SB) - Hero is Seat 5 with 8c 2c As (8 players)

Seat 1: X X 7c
Seat 2: X X Kd
Seat 3: X X Ad
Seat 4: X X Qh
Hero: 8c 2c As
Seat 6: X X 4d
Seat 7: X X Tc
Seat 8: X X Jh

Action: Seat 6 bets, Seat 7 calls, Seat 8 folds, Seat 1 calls, Seat 2 folds, Seat 3 calls, Seat 4 folds, Hero calls.

4th Street (6.6 SB) - Hero catches 3d (5 players)

Seat 1: X X 7c 7h
Seat 3: X X Ad 4s
Hero: 8c 2c As 3d
Seat 6: X X 4d 3h
Seat 7: X X Tc 3s

Action: Seat 1 checks, Seat 3 checks, Hero bets, Seat 6 calls, Seat 7 calls, Seat 1 calls, Seat 3 calls.

5th Street (5.8 BB) - Hero catches 6c (5 players)

Seat 1: X X 7c 7h 6s
Seat 3: X X Ad 4s Ah
Hero: 8c 2c As 3d 6c
Seat 6: X X 4d 3h 9c
Seat 7: X X Tc 3s 8h

Action: Seat 3 bets, Hero calls, Seat 6 calls, Seat 7 folds, Seat 1 calls.

6th Street (9.8 BB) - Hero catches 9s (4 players)

Seat 1: X X 7c 7h 6s Kh
Seat 3: X X Ad 4s Ah 8d
Hero: 8c 2c As 3d 6c 9s
Seat 6: X X 4d 3h 9c 9d

Action: Seat 3 bets, Hero calls, Seat 6 calls, Seat 1 calls.

7th Street (13.8 BB) - Hero catches 5d (4 players)

Action: Seat 3 bets, Hero calls, Seat 6 raises, Seat 1 folds, Seat 3 calls, Hero raises, Seat 6 caps, Seat 3 calls, Hero calls.

Final pot: 25.8 BB

Any comments appreciated.

TIA,
greenage

Hauser_III
11-21-2004, 07:54 PM
So seat 6 caught the wheel, or a 6-4 low, I'd guess.

jayheaps
11-21-2004, 08:12 PM
well in a higher stakes game, this is an obvious muck. i would even muck in lower stakes since it is unlikely that a 8-low will be best.

HighStakesPro
11-21-2004, 09:12 PM
You played the hand perfectly. I would have done it exactly the same. You don't want to raise after the guy to your right had just bet for fear of driving out people when their boards show that that they are probably going for the high, and like the last guy said, your 8-high low might not hold up. But on the river, when you got the 5, you have to conclude that your A2356 low is best. The last guy apparently missed your last card, thinking you only had the 8-high low. The likelyhood of the A4A8 and 4399 boards having a better low is just two remote, especially when the A4A8 only called Seat 6's raise. Seat 6 most likely hit a full house on the river or a deuce-to-six straight. There is only one ace left in the deck for him to have, and even then he'd need 25 or 26 to beat you, so you have to play as though your low is best. For this reason, you played the river perfectly, getting as much money into the pot as possible, and I expect that you took the low.

HighStakesPro
11-21-2004, 09:17 PM
P.S.
I forgot to mention in my comment that it is also possible that Seat 6 hit a trey-to-seven straight or even an A3456 low, either of which he almost certainly would have raised.

Andy B
11-21-2004, 09:37 PM
You called a full bet on third street, right? This is an OK call.

You were right to bet fourth. On fifth, you have a raise. You have what is currently the only possible low hand, but it is vulnerable. Charge people for the privilege of drawing out on you, or get your money in with a significant edge. Either way, raise. On sixth, you could be beaten by the guy with the open Aces, but I'd probably still raise. If you had raised fifth, you might have been able to get a better sense of whether he was going high or low, so you might have been able to act accordingly.

On the river, I'd raise right away with your Six-low. Since you didn't, perhaps to get callers, whether you cap when it comes back to you raised depends on your estimation of seat 6. You haven't shown any particular strength, so maybe he thinks his Seven-low is good. In order for him to have you beaten, he has to have A25 or A26 in the hole. There are three Aces out. You could be beaten, but it's probable that you've got the best hand, so I'd feel pretty good about capping.

This pot should have been bigger.

PoorLawyer
11-22-2004, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You played the hand perfectly. I would have done it exactly the same. You don't want to raise after the guy to your right had just bet for fear of driving out people when their boards show that that they are probably going for the high, and like the last guy said, your 8-high low might not hold up. But on the river, when you got the 5, you have to conclude that your A2356 low is best. The last guy apparently missed your last card, thinking you only had the 8-high low. The likelyhood of the A4A8 and 4399 boards having a better low is just two remote, especially when the A4A8 only called Seat 6's raise. Seat 6 most likely hit a full house on the river or a deuce-to-six straight. There is only one ace left in the deck for him to have, and even then he'd need 25 or 26 to beat you, so you have to play as though your low is best. For this reason, you played the river perfectly, getting as much money into the pot as possible, and I expect that you took the low.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think at this limit you can go ahead and raise without fear that you are driving out the other high hands.

greenage
11-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I don’t mean to belabor it but I’m pretty new to 7 Stud/8 and don’t really even play 7 Stud High. I know that I’m still playing too loose and that my analysis/decision making is still very rough.

I never had any real worry about my low not being good in this hand. I can see now though that I was being too optimistic and believe I should have played more aggressively.

Showdown:

Seat 3: mucked [Qd 8s Ad 4s Ah 8d Js] - HI: two pair, Aces and Eights
Seat 5: Hero showed [8c 2c As 3d 6c 9s 5d] and won ($6.20) with HI: high card Ace; LO: 6,5,3,2,A
Seat 6: showed [Ks Kc 4d 3h 9c 9d 9h] and won ($6.20) with HI: a full house, Nines full of Kings

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate them.
greenage

Andy B
11-22-2004, 04:05 PM
If you had made the Six early rather than an Eight, slow-playing would make more sense. At this level, though, people are calling anyway, so I'd raise in that case anyway.