PDA

View Full Version : Top pair versus open-ender/four-flush

11-09-2001, 06:35 PM
Late in a tournament, what do you do if you have top pair and your heads-up opponent is on a draw with 8 or 9 outs against you?

Do you always push your hand strongly as the favorite or do you play "safe" since there is a premium on survival?

In a ring game, or early in a tournament the answer seems obvious since there is little or no danger of being knocked out. But I'm not so sure about late in the stages when they have about a 1 in 3 shot of knocking you out.

Thanks in advance.

sam

11-09-2001, 07:02 PM
As a 3 to 1 favorite I think it's a pretty clear choice to jam the hand, especially heads-up. Sure, there's a chance of getting busted, but it's difficult to find many situations where you have a clear-cut advantage of that magnitude. Additionally, if you're playing no-limit or pot-limit- you can make a big enough raise to ruin the pot-odds for your opponent's draw, making your play even stronger. Top pair against an 8 or 9 out draw is no time to get timid.

Craig H

11-09-2001, 09:37 PM
I think this play is even more valid late in a tournament as loose players tend to tighten up near the end and are more likely to lay down their draws there than earlier.

Always keep the pressure on and reduce their odds while protecting your lead.

Keep playing hard!

11-09-2001, 10:40 PM
well, it seem to me that

craig and Glen are right IF chip stacks are right....if he has a ton, and you are short, there is a good chance he will draw and thus you may NOT want to risk it

but if he will be out if he misses AND the blinds are NOT about to eat his stack, then make him decide, but he will likely call if blinds are a threat

thus, you see there are two things to consider, other than his odds, before you move in

11-10-2001, 05:53 AM
If you think it's too much of a risk to put your money in when you're 3:1 favourite, you are missing out on a lot of $$$.

Andy.