PDA

View Full Version : Background/Credit Check Employment

Anadrol 50
11-21-2004, 11:02 AM
I am in the interview process for a technical (non-finacial) position for a major pharmaceutical company. I have passed through the interviews and now have to wait for a background check. My question is this, will my credit have an impact ? I went bankrupt several years ago when I was barely an adult. My credit is now ok, but the bankruptcy is still on my record. For those in this industry, will this impact my chances ? I know that by law, they are not allowed to disqualify me because of a bankruptcy, but in practice it would be easy for them to do and claim it was for another reason.

cardcounter0
11-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Yes, it could, it depends on the position. They want the credit check, for things like if they issue you a corporate credit card, are you going to run up a huge non-authorized bill and skip? Can you be trusted to fulfill your obligations in regards to a company car, or tuition reimbursement?

So unless your credit report shows you are a complete scumbag, it probably won't be a problem.

Blarg
11-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Good credit I think can be very important in finding a good job. So I've read. Any negatives tend to get exaggerated in the job search process, and it's easy to look down on people with bad credit records and probably make quite a big fuss about it. Definitely a black mark and something to worry about, from what I understand.

Leo99
11-21-2004, 02:03 PM
I have a bankruptcy on my credit record. I've been checked twice by potential employers. I got one job and not the other. But I've never had to pee in a cup although everyone I work with did.

Anadrol 50
11-21-2004, 03:32 PM
hmmm..... So I might be [censored]. Is there anything I can do ? ...or just sit and wait ?

stabn
11-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Just wait, unless it's a position where trust concerning finances is very very important (say, you're a dba for a DB with millions of credit card numbers in it), you should be fine.

Leo99
11-21-2004, 09:27 PM
The job I got, I was upfront with them and concerned when they asked to run my credit check. I don't know that all companies have hard and fast rules. Some might overlook things if they really want to hire you.