PDA

View Full Version : Buying Term Papers- Is It Safe?

Matty
11-21-2004, 10:17 AM
I've never cheated before and I'm paranoid. Is it safe to buy a term paper online?

Some background: I'm buying a 12 and 1/2 page research paper on gay, lesbian, and bisexual identity development for my lifespan development class. My instructor is only just about to get her doctorate's. She's extremely bright, but she can't have been around long enough to catch on ... right?

One of my concerns is that the paper I'm thinking about buying is from 2002- so it is a little out-dated. Getting a custom-written paper would cost me something around $300, and it would take a few days.

I've gotten an A on every test in the class, so she wouldn't be surprised by an A paper- but I just found out it was due yesterday, and I've barely gotten started.

mmbt0ne
11-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Unless it's due in the next 8 hours, I don't see how buying a paper is necessary. You're obviously smart, getting all A's on the tests, just sit down and bust one out the best you can.

EDIT: Ooops, I never actually answered your question. Most teachers subscribe to online report checkers that search papers for plagarism. They have hundreds of thousands of archived essays, and every book ever written. If you have to turn your paper in on a disk, it's gonna show up on that real quick.

spamuell
11-21-2004, 10:42 AM
Don't risk it.

[ QUOTE ]
I've gotten an A on every test in the class, so she wouldn't be surprised by an A paper

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to risk discrediting all the excellent work you've done over one stupid paper? Find another option, the risk:reward for cheating is not favourable.

Blarg
11-21-2004, 11:08 AM
I know a guy who got kicked out of college for plagiarizing. To say it screwed up his life is an understatement. He was the umm....salutatorian? in high school -- the guy with the second highest grade point average. Seems like a very big risk. Even paying the $300, because why wouldn't they just sell you an essay they've actually already sold before? What, people who are in the business of helping people cheat would be so honest? I doubt it. Or they cold just piece it together out of a bunch of other essays, still lifting big parts whole and in a traceable way.

I wouldn't, and not just because I'm old-fashioned.

Matty
11-21-2004, 11:09 AM
It was due yesterday. If I get a paper custom-written to my exact specifications, that can't be caught can it?

spamuell
11-21-2004, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It was due yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but obviously you can't hand it in yesterday. When is it actually due, as in if you don't hand it in by then, you're fukked?

Matty
11-21-2004, 11:27 AM
I wasn't really worried about getting [censored], just keeping my A. I guess there is a significant risk, so I'll just write the damned thing.

spamuell
11-21-2004, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't really worried about getting [censored], just keeping my A. I guess there is a significant risk, so I'll just write the damned thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice.

scrub
11-21-2004, 12:55 PM
My Dad and I spent a lot of our vacation this summer with two of his friends who are university professors. They both said that they spend a lot of time trying to see if a paper has been plagarized.

Two big reasons that you're likely to get caught (or would have been likely to get caught):

(1) Many universities subscribe to commercial services that purchase all of the papers available for sale online and put them into a searchable database for easy comparison with student work.

(2) Almost all Profs and TAs apparently google significant portions of papers and compare topics with papers available for sale on at least a few of the commercial paper sites. Even if you got a paper "custom written," there's no guarantee that it's not going to be plagarized from internet sources. Maybe your school wouldn't crucify you for bad footnoting, but mine certainly would have. Just not a risk worth taking.

Also, if you're going to be dishonest, you'd be better off coming up with a bogus reason that you need an extension. There's almost no risk in that, and the fact that you've done good work in the class so far means it's very likely to work.

scrub

Sponger15SB
11-21-2004, 02:12 PM
How is this for getting [censored] on for cheating....

I copied a friends essay who is in a class of mine that is just massive, like 450 people. We had different TAs, so I figure I'd be fine if I just took his. We get our papers back, his TA gives him a 93, mine gives me a C-

WTF!?!?!?!

Leo99
11-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Exactly

Boris
11-21-2004, 03:12 PM
The younger instructors are much more likely to be saavy in the ways of Internet cheating. You should not risk your academic standing by cheating on something stupid like this.

slickpoppa
11-21-2004, 03:25 PM
The EV of being able to sleep soundly at night is much higher than getting an A in some BS class.

Randy_Refeld
11-21-2004, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My instructor is only just about to get her doctorate's

[/ QUOTE ]

By the time someone reaches this level they can spot this sort of thing.

RR

wacki
11-21-2004, 04:42 PM
A lot of schools have sophisticated software to detect plagerism and bought papers. Be carefull.

PITTM
11-21-2004, 04:58 PM
my junior year of HS i turned in a paper i got off the internet, turns out some kid in my class also turned in the same paper from off the internet. however, my teacher kicked the other kid out of school and i got an A- and no talk of wrongdoing. good old luck.

rj

Non_Comformist
11-21-2004, 05:56 PM
You would be risking your academic future and any future benefits you may attain from it on one paper in one class. If that seems +EV to you then by all means go ahead.

ThaSaltCracka
11-21-2004, 05:59 PM
write your own [censored] paper. I hate cheaters, and this is cheating.

Nick B.
11-21-2004, 06:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my junior year of HS i turned in a paper i got off the internet, turns out some kid in my class also turned in the same paper from off the internet. however, my teacher kicked the other kid out of school and i got an A- and no talk of wrongdoing. good old luck.

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

So you have been a cheater your entire life? You must be very proud.

Matty
11-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Half the 2+2 community is willing to be an assassin ... no outrage.

A couple of people don't feel morally obligated to always play by the rules in academia ... denunciations galore.

Edit: P.S. Near the top of this thread I made my decision, so you can all stop repeating each other any time.

Ulysses
11-21-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Half the 2+2 community is willing to be an assassin ... no outrage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assassins are cool.

NLSoldier
11-21-2004, 07:24 PM
I have heard from multiple HS teachers and profs that they subscribe to an internet sevice which allows them to simply type in a few sentances of the paper and it will automatically compare it to all papers on the internet and bring back anything that even remotely matches it.

Even if not getting this paper done meant failing the class, it would still be the better option imo. Don't risk it man.

nothumb
11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
I've been seriously considering starting a business like this. People don't care about school anyway and colleges are just churning out degrees left and right. I could easily write two short papers a day, more for topics I am familiar with.

What do you suppose one could make for something like this?

BTW, I wouldn't trust anyone doing this. I would not use such a service.

NT

Lawrence Ng
11-21-2004, 09:57 PM
My only advice is DON'T DO IT. It's major -EV!!!!

Lawrence

Wayfare
11-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Three words for you scrub:

J P Z.

Don't be a [censored] idiot, original poster. Call the prof, ask for an extension really nice, and point to all the good work you have done in the class up to that point.

scrub
11-22-2004, 04:49 PM
At what point did in my post did I say anything but "you're likely to get caught?"

And yeah, that guy is sort of a dumbass.

scrub

ThaSaltCracka
11-22-2004, 04:51 PM
what are the three words?

Bubbagump
11-22-2004, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What do you suppose one could make for something like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can make serious coin doing this. My senior year in college, I did some computer artwork for a students senior project and pocketed a few hundred for a few hours worth of work.

There are plenty of rich college kids out their who would rather pay somebody else to do their work for them.

Bubbagump

astroglide
11-22-2004, 05:04 PM
those are letters, and i suspect most of us don't know what they mean