PDA

View Full Version : Checking down all in players

11-05-2001, 08:17 PM
I have recently been rebuked by other players for raising a pot when another player is all in. I understand the logic i.e. the more opponents there are the more likely one of them is going to beat the all in player.

However other than one place out of the money this does not make sense particularly if the bettor as was the case in both cases has a hand to defend.

Are my critics misguided or have I missed the point ?

11-05-2001, 08:29 PM
There are times to check down, and probably a bit more often than just one out of the money. However, it usually isn't much more often than that.

The key issue here is the presence of a side pot, if any, and how likely you are to beat the all-in. If there is no side pot and you're drawing or weak, why bet? You're risking money you could lose to the third player, and your only reward is an increased chance of winning the main pot (as opposed to an outright and immediate win if everybody might have folded). If there is a side pot, you now win that pot right away, thus adding a lot of value to protecting your mediocre hands, and even making a bluff potentially profitable. However, even if there's no side pot, if you're still quite a ways away from the money, then even just increasing your chances of winning the main pot can justify a bet. Just don't bluff with hands like small straight draws and small flush draws that aren't likely to win unless they make their straight or flush. If they miss, they almost always lose, and if they connect, the almost always beat everybody.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

11-06-2001, 04:52 AM
Can't add much to Greg's tactical advice. Ethically though, you are doing nothing wrong at all. Naturally everyone except the all-in player wants you to check, either so they get a free card (if they are in the pot) or to increase the chances of a player being eliminated (if not). In fact if someone is urging you to check while you are considering your play, then they are out of order.

As to how to deal with it, it's not really worth educating people, I tend to either play dumb or just ignore them. If absolutely necessary you can talk to them away from the table and either explain why sometimes you have to bet or tell them you'll play how you damn well like and it's none of their business (depending on who is bigger).

One point to note, if a known "check the all-in" player suddenly does bet in this situation, run to the hills, he has a monster hand.

Andy.