PDA

View Full Version : KK -- Too Aggressive?

srt19170
11-21-2004, 12:43 AM
I'm continuing to try to work on my post-flop aggression (which is 2/3/2.25 at the moment) and I'd like feedback on the level of aggression here.

$0.5/$1 Hold'em - Party Poker
Table Table 13299 (Real Money)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero[ Kh Ks ]
Raise, fold, call, 2 folds, Hero re-raises, call, 2 folds, 2 calls.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 2s, Ac, Ts ]
Bet, call, Hero raises, fold, 2 calls.

Am I just foolish raising into this bet? Bettor is a bit of a LAG, but should I just assume an Ace here and bail? Particularly at PP, where people seem to love to play Ax, maybe I have to respect an Ace on the flop?

** Dealing Turn ** [ 4s ]
2 checks, Hero bets, 2 calls.

Bettor suddenly goes passive...which means what? I don't know, so with the flush draw I decide to err on the side of aggression. Am I better off taking the free card? Do I play this differently without the flush draw?

** Dealing River ** [ 9d ]
2 checks, Hero bets, 2 calls.

In retrospect, this seems like the worst bet -- since I'm acting last it's one of those "win nothing if you're ahead and lose a BB if you're behind" bets, but I didn't see it at the time.

What I'd really like in this post-flop situation is for someone to raise me back post-flop, which makes (I think) for an easy fold. But I have a hard time reading calling stations. In the past I would have been scared by the Ace and checked or called down to the river, but I won a lot of very small pots that way. (Admittedly, I lost small pots as well.)

Please offer guidance, oh wisest of the poker gurus.

-- Scott

Piiop
11-21-2004, 02:24 AM
Preflop: Good.

Flop: Good. You definitely can't fold here as you have backdoor flush outs, backdoor straight outs, and 2 K outs if you're behind and the pot is getting big. I like a raise because you say the bettor is somewhat LAG and he could be betting a worse hand. Also, a raise should give you position and a reraise will let you know on the cheap street if you're behind.

Turn: Good.

River: I would check here. With the Ace on board against 2 opponents and preflop raises, I think you're beat. Sadly, neither of your backdoor draws came in and it's very likely someone has that A.

Jaran
11-21-2004, 03:33 AM
I think I check behind on the river.

-Jaran

Rah
11-21-2004, 10:48 AM
Betting the river makes no sense. Is it even possible that worse hands will call? To me it looks like the whole gang is sitting with weak aces.

srt19170
11-21-2004, 10:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Betting the river makes no sense. Is it even possible that worse hands will call? To me it looks like the whole gang is sitting with weak aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly right as it turns out. I think I just got caught up in the aggression. As I said above, as soon as I made that bet I knew it was a mistake. I just need to progress to the point of knowing that *before* I bet :-)

-- Scott

Quercus
11-21-2004, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I just got caught up in the aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't work on aggressive postflop play, since it will lead you to aggressively spew chips on poor postflop play. Work on solid postflop play, and your game will become more aggressive.