PDA

View Full Version : Another Hand from Day 1

cero_z
11-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi all, this is another hand from the big tournament. My main opponent in the hand is Bo Toft, who placed high in the money. My impression of him was that he was playing quite tightly and carefully, but was not afraid to get his money in there based on a read. Basically, he was playing great.

I have a somewhat loose image, having raised pre-flop a few times in the last orbit, encountering little resistance. Plus, there's the 76s I showed down after open-raising earlier.

Blinds are 50-100. I open-raise UTG with KK to 500 , which has become the standard at this table. Bo calls, as does the button. He's new to the table, not that good, and a little bit desparate. He has 5000, I have 14000, and Bo has about 20000. 3 to the flop with 1650 in the pot.

Flop is T 5 4 . I have the K . I bet 1100, Bo calls, and the button moves in for 4500 total.

I should say that when Bo smooth-called pre-flop, I was pretty happy, because I knew that he needed a very good hand to do that with, despite my apparent looseness. I confidently put him on a pair of nines or better, or MAYBE a big suited Ace; nothing worse. But, when he smooth-called on the flop, I was worried, because a set of tens was a distinct possibility in my mind, and nines were no longer possible. So, it basically came down to me hoping he had QQ or JJ, or a club draw. But really, I was worried.

When the button moved all-in, I felt strongly that he was on a draw. If Bo had folded, I would've called the button's raise instantly. Now, though, I was in a quandary. Ultimately, I decided I'd call, and muck if Bo came over the top. At the time, I didn't think he'd call again with a club draw for some reason, but even if he did, I would expect it not to hit, since I thought the button probably had a club draw, and I had the K .

OK, so I called, and Bo also called. I was done with the hand. The turn was the 4 , I checked, and Bo moved in. I mucked. Results later.

I have a lot of questions and doubts about the way I played this hand, so I'd appreciate your comments and criticisms.

Masquerade
11-21-2004, 11:30 PM
This is an interesting spot but you mangled the description slightly. You say the flop is T 5 4 . I have the K. I think you missed out saying two clubs. Then the turn is "the 4" ... do you mean a 4 ... or the flush card 4 clubs?

Mammux
11-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Bo pushed because he thought he could beat the button, but not you?

-Magnus

cero_z
11-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi Masquerade,

Sorry. I cross-posted this here and in the Multi-table tourney forum. For some reason, the Suit script didn't transfer. The flop was Tc 5c 4h, and the turn was the 4d, so the flush hadn't hit. The 4c would've made it an insanely easy laydown (albeit incorrect) for me, given that I felt sure the button was on a flush draw.

Popinjay
11-22-2004, 01:02 PM
looks like a muck but maybe you should consider him holding T5? seems like one possibility out of too many to be worth calling however.