PDA

View Full Version : bad tourney play....again

11-01-2001, 06:37 PM
still learning so please, please take it easy on me. on line tourney 2/3 300 in 100 left. blinds are 400/800 with 100 antes

I am big blind with 33,000 chips. about average for tourney but high for table. K6 spade, check big blind. flop is KQQ(s). 3 limpers are all 5000 in chips or less. small blind folded so I am first to act. I go all in. all fold but 1 - of course he has the queen and I lose 5800 or so to him. I know that it was not the smartest thing to go all in. My question is - how much to bet, etc. at what point do I know for sure that someone has a Q or a higher K. I know my kicker is bad. I was also figuring that if I lose this hand I am out at most 5800 - but I get a reputation as a maniac. I could have callers later on the nuts hands. Even though I lost the hand - I thought that there might be something to gain later on.

Thoughts? - I know this is real fishbait....

Kevin

11-02-2001, 05:50 AM
I will give this one a try although as you will see from my posts below, I'm not the greatest NL player...

Kicker trouble is probably not an issue here. A king with a big kicker would likely have raised, and any other king is likely going to split the pot with you. So you just need to worry about being against a Q or better.

There's about 4500 in the pot I think, and all your opponents have about 5000 left. The two possible outcomes of betting are that you win the pot uncontested, or someone else puts all their chips in, regardless of the amount of your bet.

The question is, what are the chances that someone will put all their chips in with a hand you can beat? I don't think they're very high, so any taker is likely to beat you. That being the case, why not check it down and win the same amount if you have the best hand, and get away from it cheap if you don't?

The pot is not so big in relation to your stack that you need to worry about winning it. I favour letting this one go if anyone wants to take action. They might be bluffing; but so what?

Guy.

11-02-2001, 11:13 AM
Thank you for your feedback - makes perfect sense. The one thing that I did forget to mention was that I was getting a reputation as a rock at the table. I am ultra tight in tournies - no pairs lower than 77, K9 suited or K10 off, down to A8, QJ, or J10 suited - and comments were starting to be made when I would get in on a hand. Although no one wants to lose 5000 chips in the process, I was trying to advertise a looser reputation. Is there a better way to do this - other than donating at the table?

Thanks again for the coaching.

Kevin

11-02-2001, 01:23 PM
You are of course worried about a Queen or a better King. The fact that you can only lose 5800 makes the play not terrible. It is possible someone with a slightly better King will fold. The decision you have is if you bet 2000 and someone raises all-in do you put that player on a Queen and fold or do you call? If you plan to call then raising all-in has the same effect. If you plan to fold then you should have made a smaller bet.

As far as the question of knowing if one of the other players have a better King or a Queen, it is tough to know. The more players in the hand the more likely. If this is a live tourney then you might notice sometype of tell. On-line you can only hope.

Ken Poklitar

11-05-2001, 07:36 AM
Telling people on this message board that you play K9suited is a good way of advertising yourself as loose! :-)

You might want to think carefully about whether you really want a loose reputation, or whether you would like to exploit the reputation you currently have, by stealing and bluffing. Changing your image is difficult to do, I think.

Guy.

11-05-2001, 08:15 AM
In live play there are much better ways of appearing loose, mostly to make misleading comments, or to always show a bluff or a marginal play, never show a big laydown, etc. etc.

On-line it's more difficult. In a tournament where tables are constantly being broken and no-one is likely to remember you from one event to the next, it's just not worth it. Not if it costs you chips. Just be aware of your image as of the now and exploit it where you can.

Also be aware that if you have a tight image and you want to create a loose image, for it to be really effective you will have to go all the way through the middle and out to the other side if you know what I mean. It takes a lot to do that.

I suspect that what you really need to do is elicit a call when you have a big hand. Try saying something suspicious while your opponent is considering calling. Anything ! "Woo-hoo I've got the nuts this time" or "oh man if you call I'm out of here". Someone might find a reason to call. That's your best chance on-line I reckon. It's safer to do this on-line from a physical point of view as well :-).

Andy.

11-05-2001, 11:07 AM
I was big blind unraised k6 - I would have folded if raised

Sorry if I said otherwise - thanks for the feedback