PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding My Bankroll: Journal 7

MEbenhoe
11-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Nov 17th

Through some stroke of randomness I managed to play 800 hands toady. How I pulled this off remains a mystery considering the entire sum of my day. I had 8, no you didn’t misread that said 8, hours of class today. This is what happens when you miss the lab for your 1 credit First Aid/CPR course and have to make it up by taking a 4 hour Red Cross class. It was excitement at its pinnacle. I also spent 2 hours working on a group project tonight, for a 35 minute speech I have to give on Friday.

Despite all this and 800 hands of poker I also found time to get in a fight today. Here’s the story. My roommates friend was over in our room. This friend of my roommate’s, has a habit of basically treating my roommate as his own personal “dog of the female persuasion”. As usual he was up to his old habit again this afternoon, so I chose that this time I was gonna start messing with him. In the most childish antic I could think of I stole his hat and proceeded to give him a noogie. At which point he told me I’d better stop or he’d beat me up. I just laughed and continued because this is what he would do in the same instance doing junk like this to my roommate. He chose this opportunity to spring into attack mode. He rushed me with arms flailing and definitely caught me off guard. After a slight tussle I gained control of the situation and over him, forcing him to the ground and pinning him down with a good hold on him and a hand clenched around his neck. I decided this would be a good spot to end this so I picked him up and shoved him towards the door, handed him his stuff and sent him on his way. Yeah ok, not much of a fight, but I havent had a situation even like that come up in awhile. I declare victory on this one though.

As far as the poker went, I’m not sure how much I actually made, but I was up for the day. I’m thinking something in the $20-$40 range. I’m really being lazy with some of this stuff right now, and I don’t have a clue what my bankroll is, but I’m estimating about $1050.

Nov 18th

Not much to talk about today. I put in 300 hands and was up about $2 from it. Overall I spent most of the day either in class, at practice or working on my amazing group project again. It’s a 35 minute group presentation on “Effective Group Participation”. We’ll see how that goes.

Nov 19th

Another day of not too many hands and not too much profit. 400 hands and another +$2 day. I am seriously on a roll.

I rocked the group presentation today. We got a 95/100 and clearly had the funniest presentation out of any group in our class. I was glad to see my teacher took the humor in good fun this time, because I tend to spice up my presentations by adding some funny stuff in to keep the class somewhat interested. A prime example was earlier in the year when I gave a speech on the importance of eye contact in communicating, and decided it would be an awesome idea to spend the first minute of my speech finding random ways to completely avoid eye contact with the class. I think the sad part was the few in the class who didn’t catch on to the joke.

Today’s track practice featured the hardest lifting workout of the year. We did 5 sets of 5 reps of what my coach calls the olympic circuit. Basically for this 1 rep is a Power clean, into a front squat, into a split jerk, into another front squat. Believe me after 5 sets of 5 reps of these your legs, back, and arms are just screaming. Wow, I love track.

And tonight was drinking night. Thanks go out to gonores for sharing his alcohol expertise with me and giving me quite a few options of drinks to mix up for the night. For those of you who don’t know, doug is clearly the master of all things alcohol.

Alright so I’m making some type of an attempt to come up with an accurate total for my bankroll right now, because I have money locked up in a few places and some money that is supposed to be being sent to me that I have no clue where it is so at best guess:

Bankroll Update: $1077

Once I get all this junk cleared up, I will have a more accurate picture of where my BR is at.

Also as a final side note, after thanksgiving I’m going to be getting the SSHE book club cranking in the Books/Software forum. It’d be awesome to have a lot of people participate so inexperienced poker players such as myself can hear the ideas of those of you who are far better and more experienced players.

Heres a hand for you to all comment on:

I’m on the button and get dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Utg folds, MP poster checks, A very loose mildly aggressive player in CO raises, I 3 bet, blinds and MP fold, CO caps and I call

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

CO bets, I raise, he 3bets, I cap

Turn 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

CO bets, I raise, he 3 bets, I cap

River 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Comments?

gonores
11-20-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who don’t know, doug is clearly the master of all things alcohol.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hear that, Diablo? Take that and cram it in your scotch-hole.

nolanfan34
11-20-2004, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I’m on the button and get dealt A /images/graemlins/club.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Utg folds, MP poster checks, A very loose mildly aggressive player in CO raises, I 3 bet, blinds and MP fold, CO caps and I call

Flop is 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Turn 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this depends on whether you think he'd raise PF and cap with 88 or not. If yes, then maybe it's time to slow down a tad on the turn, just calling the 3-bet.

But if you think he would just limp with 88 or 66, then I think you're fine to go to the races, and I'd guess he has something like KK with the K of diamonds the way this played out. Of course this is probably wrong, otherwise you wouldn't have posted the hand, and he actually had 55.

MEbenhoe
11-20-2004, 05:28 PM
I'll tell you I won the hand, try to figure out what this guy may have had now.

Yobz
11-20-2004, 05:37 PM
7 2o for the straight? /images/graemlins/smile.gif
Any reads on him?

Eder
11-20-2004, 05:38 PM
He had KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MEbenhoe
11-20-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He had KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding, we have a winner, now please explain how you came to this conclusion.

MEbenhoe
11-20-2004, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Any reads on him?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A very loose mildly aggressive player in CO raises

[/ QUOTE ]

Eder
11-20-2004, 08:44 PM
A very loose mildly aggressive player in CO raises, I 3 bet, blinds and MP fold, CO caps and I call

KQs prob falls in range of hands CO would raise and prob reraise with (loose)

Flop is 8 5 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

3 bet here would indicate flush or close to it?

Turn 5

Had to have high diamond to bet here

MEbenhoe
11-20-2004, 08:47 PM
well done, question now is would you have played the same way, or did I make some type of serious error in this hand?

Eder
11-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Well preflop I put him on top 10 hands or so....so flop doesnt scare me...I play it the same as you...hard to put him on 2 diamonds after that preflop action... glad it worked out for you...btw how would you have played this with say A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif?

MEbenhoe
11-20-2004, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...btw how would you have played this with say A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a really tough situation. I have to say flop should play the same way and then probably slow down on the turn. River would be a crying call.

Phil Van Sexton
11-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Only question....why cap the turn? Do you really think you are ahead at this point?

I suppose he could have KK, but flop/turn betting indicates flush or 88 to me.

MEbenhoe
11-20-2004, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only question....why cap the turn? Do you really think you are ahead at this point?

I suppose he could have KK, but flop/turn betting indicates flush or 88 to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that this is easy to say knowing what he actually had, but considering you have the diamond outs as well as the fact that most of the time you will be ahead against this type of opponent, its my belief you're more often than not ahead here.

Phil Van Sexton
11-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Well, I thought he had 88 for the boat, in which case you had no diamond outs. When a "mildly aggressive" player re-raises me on the turn after I cap the flop, I have to think he has something better than 1-pair. Maybe I'm misinterpretting what you mean by "mildly".