PDA

View Full Version : Calling raises in NL

11-01-2001, 01:53 PM
In a thread below Andy Ward makes the following interesting statement:

"What would you have done pre-flop with 22 or 67s ? If you would have passed, you need to re-think your NL strategy a little. Both are much better hands to call a raise for 5% of your stack with than KQ. KQ, AJ, AT - trap hands."

Now Andy states that calling raises with 22 or 67s for 5% of the stack is correct. I normally would muck. I will limp with these types of hands and I may call a small raise with them from the blinds but I typically wouldn't cold call a raise.

When I look at my NL game I rarely call raises. I re-raise or muck. So should I start calling a few more raises with these types of hands? I can see doing it from late position if a few other players have also called the raise.

Ken Poklitar

11-01-2001, 02:44 PM
I don't think you need to be concerned with other callers if the stacks allow you to double up after risking only 5% of your stack initially. I call small raises with these "drawing hands" because they are easy to get away from after the flop, but well disguised if you hit them. I agree with you to call them only in late position to limit potential reraises behind you.

11-01-2001, 03:18 PM
I play it the way Andy has said. I use Bob Ciaffone's 5-10% rule.

If the call of the raise is 5% or less of my stack, I call. Between 5 and 10 it depends on a bunch of factors and above 10% I muck. IMO, it always depends (who is the raiser, is he aggressive--- more implied odds, is he bluffable, will he release if he does not hit, what does he think of me, etc...).

The important thing to get here is that hands like 22 and 67s are better to call a raise with than KQ, AJ or the like because:

1. You either hit the flop well or you get out, i.e. you are looking at two pair or better or a monster draw with 67s or a set with 22.

2. You are very unlikely to be dominated in a way that would tie you to the pot. If you flop a K with KQ and are up against AK or AA, you are going to be in a tough spot if the better comes out strong. This will rarely happen with 76s or 22 since you will not be calling if you only hit the flop partially.

3. You are only risking a small portion of your stack but you if you hit, you are looking at doubling up.

4. These hands are hidden. Who would give you credit for a 6 if the flop comes Q66 rainbow? So, your implied odds go up.

5. If you do hit and show it, you will get great advertisement from worse players. So, you'll profit in future hands as well.

I'm not saying you should go ahead and call every raises that are less that 5% of your stack, just that it's a very good idea to do so once in a while, especially at the start of the tournament, since doubling up early has many advantages.

Nicolas Fradet (The Prince)

11-01-2001, 07:03 PM

11-01-2001, 07:10 PM
Ken,

I believe what Andy refers to is when the money is deep, and you can put the raiser on a hand, so you know what you have to beat. This is one of Doyle Brunson's strategies in his Super/System book. You might want to pick it up and read it. It will explain this play better than what you will read from me.

Good Luck

Mark

11-02-2001, 06:36 PM
Good response.

Thanks all,

Ken Poklitar

11-03-2001, 06:36 AM
Ken,

I didn't say it was necessarily correct all the time. What I meant was if you are passing these hands to a raise but calling with KQ then your strategy is definitely skewed.

As Mark says, Super/System has an excellent section on how you proceed from the flop onwards, you have to adapt it to your own game but it is very good.

Andy.

11-03-2001, 03:13 PM
I understand. Calling raises with KQ is crazy. I do have Super System and I will review the NL section again.

Ken Poklitar