PDA

View Full Version : Silly hand. Did I have a choice?

11-01-2001, 05:58 AM
Hi,

This is a hand from last night's small rebuy NLHE tournament. I don't think I had any choice in my play here, and it's just a case of "oh dear how sad never mind" as Andy W would say, but as usual I am wondering if there were other things I should have been considering.

We have just sat down to thefinal table. 8 players, with prize money rising very slowly from 8th-3rd, and a sharp increase for the top two. I have the least chips on the table, 2800 with blinds of 400-400. Everyone else has at least double that, and the chip leader has 15000 or so.

My plan was to get it all-in soon, preferably with something good. This is the same plan I have been working on for the last hour, just winning blinds to survive this far. I only have enough to raise all-in preflop, as far as I can tell.

The question is, does the texture of the game change so much when the final begins that I ought to be changing this plan? I think that now we're in the money, I am more likely to be called. On the other hand, I want to double up. So, I am leaning towards trying to double up rather than trying to steal. But, I still want to be coming in with a raise rather than limping speculatively. Am I thinking about this correctly?

Anyway, here's the hand. AQ in the cutoff. Three limpers to me.

If I'm playing, I'm going all-in. Is there a choice here? Would anybody muck this, or just limp?

Guy.

P.S. just to sate curiosity: raised all-in, everyone folds except last limper who thinks for a minute and is told "you have to call don't you?" by others at the table. He calls, shows KJ and outflops me. I don't mind that at all.

11-01-2001, 06:45 AM
Without alot of fanfair I'd probably play the hand the way you did but so much depends on your opponents. What are they likely to be limping in on here?

I will say this emphatically...I hope you, or through a floor person, reemed these other people for telling this player that they "have to call". Where do they get off trying to influence another player? This is an extreme breach of poker etiquette and completely un-ethical.

Keep playing hard!

11-01-2001, 07:05 AM
Hi Glen,

Thanks for the reassurance. Okay, yes, of course I need to consider whether people might have limped with AA, KK, QQ or AK. I doubt it, to be honest. I am pretty sure I am in front.

But, even if there's a chance someone is limping with one of these hands, would you play any differently?

Floorman? Etiquette? Surely you jest... Such things are pretty thin on the ground in these little tournaments in the UK. He was going to call anyway.

Guy.

11-01-2001, 02:05 PM
Wow 3 limpers at the final table. I think the decision is close to raising and mucking. I most likely raise all-in with the AQ but mucking is also an option since it is very unlikely you are going to win without a showdown and it seems likely someone has a pair.

With 2800 and blinds of 400-400, you still have some room for play. You can afford to go through the blinds once. With only 7xBB I can't imagine a hand I would limp with. I am not sure you are more likely to get called at this point. There are often players who are trying to sneak up the money ladder. These types of players will fold more then they should. The big stacks are the ones to worry about. So I would be happy with stealing the blinds but doubling up would be optimal.

Ken Poklitar

11-01-2001, 07:00 PM
With that many limpers I might just call and see the flop. If you hit (one out of three times) you can move in and take the pot with little stress.

OTH you are likely to get called here if you move in, and you really dont want a call that is why I just call. If you miss the flop, just fold. You have enough chips to hold on a bit.

If you limp and hit there is also a good chance that you get paid off by a worse kicker, that would have folded preflop.

11-03-2001, 12:41 AM
I was playing in the same tourney and this happened...

I'm in the cut-off, all fold to me, blinds 100-100, i have KhJh and around 2500 chips, raise to 300 on semi-bluff/ steal, button and bb fold, small blind calls.

Flop comes AKJ rainbow. I bet 500, small blind (who has about same size stack as me) goes all-in. I know he's a tight player, so don't think he has QT, and with AK, KK or AA i think he would have reraised preflop. But I'm worried he has AJ, or possibly JJ. I think for a long time and call, knowing if i win i can probably just ride my chips to the final table. He turns over AQ, I'm very happy til a Q hits the turn... oh well.

PS I would have gone all-in too in your position - these guys might well be limping with T9 etc and I think you can be pretty sure they won't limp with big hands. And yes, as for floorman or etiquette?! ROFL.

11-03-2001, 06:43 AM
Guy,

I agree with your reasoning. I think you are correct that now you are in the final and the prizes are increasing slowly you are more likely to get called. I'd probably push it in too.

I know it's a bit informal where you play (if we're thinking of the same place), that's why you have to stand up for yourself ! The other players were out of order and they should be told. There are enough free lessons given out at the table (fortunately most of them are hopelessly inaccurate) as it is without people being advised when they are considering their action.

Andy.

11-05-2001, 07:12 AM
Andy says he knows the place I play, and Daisy says she (I'm guessing Daisy pokerqueen is a she) was in the same tournament...

Really? You're scaring me now. I play in Brighton. Have you been to our little cardroom Andy? If so, why? And Daisy, were you really there that night? If so, who are you?

Cheers,

Guy.

11-05-2001, 03:07 PM
We are subsection 8 of MI6, otherwise known as the 'poker police', codenames 00 crAAcked and 00 badbeat. We travel from cardroom to cardroom, watching and waiting, taking notes on those who call raises with K9s, draw to inside straights and tremble when they have a big hand.

You will not know whether we are there or who we are - but we will always be watching....

Heh heh.. actually you mentioned in an earlier post where you play. I live in Brighton and go along to the Grosvenor every so often. I'm the one getting busted with a big second best hand shortly after the rebuy period is over.

Regards,

Daisy

11-05-2001, 05:54 PM
What about reraising people out of the big blind with 25 off ?

Andy :-)

11-05-2001, 05:55 PM
Sorry Guy I thought you meant Russell Square. Haven't had the pleasure of visiting Brighton's cardroom.

Andy.