PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk some more WPF $300 NL

10-31-2001, 10:34 PM
I have sat at the same table all day which will never be broken until the in-the-money-redraws. This is great as I have had a chance to get to know my opponents. I have built my stack without ever showing a hand to about T12500

I make the money. At my original table everyone is a mediumish stack. All other tables have monstrous stacks and thus after the redraw, I instantaneously become a small stack and get whittled down to about T9500. I have not had a hand all day.

Exacerbating the situation is that the blinds have just gone to 600/1200 with 200 antes. I need chips.

Daniel Negreanu is the cutoff to my BB. I know he is going to attack me mercilessly so before very long at all I raise with QcJd to 4500 basically commiting myself. A seeming professional (T25000) (maybe Bill Seymour?) one to the right of Negreanu (T60000) calls as does Dan after much deliberation. All others fold. I am not happy, I just wanted the blinds or at most one cop. The flop comes a dreary 8c4c4s. I bet the rest into these guys and get called by first pro and DN dumps.

Comments on pre and post flop plays?

10-31-2001, 11:32 PM
I'm a bit confused......Did both Bill and Dan flat call? Did the SB call? Your BB was $1200? How much was your stack after putting in the BB? Were there any other callers?

11-01-2001, 12:39 AM
Been there, done that. A couple of ideas:

1. I try not to bet half my stack. If a reasonable bet amounts to more than 1/3 of my stack, I tend towards either moving in or folding.

2. I'm not fond of moving in with QJo.

3. The combination of (1) and (2) generally prevent me from making the move you describe. I find this to be a good thing /images/smile.gif

4. Here's the crux of it: I'm not really feeling all that short just yet. Assuming a 9-handed ring, it's costing T3600 to play a round. OK, less than 3x that amount is not good, but it's not hopeless either. I'm still waiting for a decent Ace, a not-too-small pair, or a clear situation. One more set of blinds and I'm looking to make a move, but for now I'm still looking for a hand.

5. This is especially so when there are big stacks behind me, presumably owned by decent players. I'm much more likely to be called, I'd therefore like a decent chance to have the best hand if I am.

6. Random thught: What's the difference between QJ and 65? Sometimes the difference is zero. It's zero when they don't get called, and it's zero when they're called by A2.

7. There's a time when it's just time, any two really will do. That time has not yet come. Relax. Be patient. When you make your last stand, be sure it's either a good move or a good hand.

8. Would I take two sets of blinds here? Hmmm. If I'm UTG, I'll have T3900 (check my math) in two buttons, presuming no busts and no blind increase. That's still 3x the BB, so maybe, if there's a half hour on the clock or more, and I get no good opportunities, I can be that patient.

dangerous dan

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, that was more than a couple. Thanks to all you folks for posting, it's giving me a chance to think about the game b4 I show up cold next Wednesday.

11-01-2001, 02:03 AM
It is not clear from the post what position you were in. I am assuming early or mid position with no limpers yet. Although T9200 is not huge with the blinds/antes I would wait out a bit longer for a better hand or a better position to steal.

Once the flop comes it is hard to fathom you have the best hand. You do have 2 overcards and a backdoor flush draw. It does seem likely you will get 1 caller. Winning this pot would get you into decent chip shape. There is 4500*3, plus the blinds and antes. I probably check and hope to get a free look at the turn. If one player bets I call.

Ken Poklitar