PDA

View Full Version : no limit tourney

10-31-2001, 11:26 AM
I was in a $300 no-limit tourney on sunday with 339 entrants. WOW to say the least. However the closest I got to it was about 337 people. I asked a co-worker who is an avid HE and omaha player what he thought about this hand and he said I played it the right way. $1500 to start with, blinds 10/25 I m in middle pos with KQo, UTG makes it $75 I call (I know a bit questionable so early in the tourney) one caller behind me and blinds fold. 3 players.

Flop comes Q J 10 rainbow. check round

Turn brings another Q UTG bets $500, I raise $500, other player folds UTG thinks for about 30 sec and moves all-in I call.

River is a blank no flush possibilities. Results to follow. Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

10-31-2001, 12:03 PM
Damn that's a tight spot to be in. But my question would be, why didn't you bet a bit on the flop, just to see where you were? True, if you put in a 100 bet on the flop, if someone moved in at that point, you would probably have to fold, but at least you just move on to the next hand for a better spot. a flop of QJT with a Q on the turn is deadly indeed...The ffact that he checked the flop indicates that he either has a monster, or a marginal hand for that flop, such as AJ, or AT.

Okay, so you did check the flop. When the turn gives you trip Q's, and he fires in 500, how could you possibly raise 500, and call the all in? Let's consider what he could have had to make this play. He could have had AK, in which case you're dead. AQ will outkick your KQ. If he had JJ, you're drawing practically dead. If TT, again, you're almost drawing dead. so, AK, AQ, JJ, TT is beating you. You're just hoping that he's got AA or KK at this point, but how would he go over the top of your reraise with AA or KK at that point? He may also have KQ, in which case, you're only making your money back. This sounds like a hand that came up early in the tournament. Therefore, unless you've played with the guy before, you'd have a tought time getting a strong read off of him.

10-31-2001, 12:13 PM
HOWEVER, the fact that he waited 30 secs to think should have given you some insight to what he had. He was probably worried about boat over boat, or just a boat, period. How can he think that he can blow you off your hand with a tiny reraise all in on the turn? is he making a crying all in move with AA or KK? It's a tight spot to be in.....it smells like he had AQ, or KQ. I guess if he had JJ or TT at that point he would have moved in without hesitation....

so, what were the results?

10-31-2001, 02:47 PM
His AK took down the pot leaving me with $25 for my BB 3 hands later. I ve been playing the hand over in my head and I also questioned myself as to why I didn t bet the flop. Being early in the tourney and not having any kind of a read on anyone I think I got just a little too overzealous with my hand. I think my biggest error was calling his preflop raise out of EP. I usually play a lot tighter in the beginning of tourny s to get a feel for the atmosphere. Oh well just chalk up to an expensive lesson.

10-31-2001, 02:50 PM
Fold KQ to a raise pre-flop.

The flop is not great since there are a lot of raising hands he could have that are a problem for you. AK gives him a flopped straight. AQ, AA, KK, JJ, TT are also hands that hurt you. I probably bet out for 200 or so. If I am check-raised then I can let the hand go for a minimal loss.

On the turn if you feel he doesn't have AK, AQ or a set then I would raise all-in. You would be happy if he folds. Of course you shouldn't have been in the hand in the 1st place.

Ken Poklitar

10-31-2001, 06:24 PM
Fold pre-flop. You have a trap hand. Get into the flow of the game first.

10-31-2001, 07:02 PM
Yep. On reading the initial post it did smell like AK or AQ (honestly :-)).

What would you have done pre-flop with 22 or 67s ? If you would have passed, you need to re-think your NL strategy a little. Both are much better hands to call a raise for 5% of your stack with than KQ. KQ, AJ, AT - trap hands.

Andy.

10-31-2001, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry to say this, but sometimes you get what you deserve. If you're gonna play NL seriously, one of the many things you have to learn is that KQ does not stand a raise. It's cheese with a capital phee-yew. Ya, too bad, AK flops the joint and you "have" to play. Well, what's he supposed to have? He raised didn't he?

dangerous dan