PDA

View Full Version : reraising question...

10-31-2001, 08:42 AM
With reference to a thread below...

In a no limit tournament... if someone raises (3x BB) and there are say 2 callers to you in the BB... is there any situation where you would double the raise???

I cant think of one.

Keith

10-31-2001, 10:56 AM
I can think of one....Imagine this scenario:

blinds are 50-100, and middle position makes it 400 to go...two callers, and you look down to see AA. You only have about 700 left, so it's 300 more for you to go all in. If you want to slowplay the AA and just call the extra 300, you're not really guaranteed that each caller preflop would pay you off on a nice flop....what i'm saying is, if you go all in at this point, you have a better chance of quadrupling up if you went all in preflop, getting a little more than 4-1 on your money...that is, if your AA holds up.

The hand I've mentioned reminds me of the 1998 WSOP when the final table was down to 7 players, and Scotty Nguyen calls an all-in bet with two other players with AQ diamonds, vs. AA and JJ. AA didn't win there,(Scotty makes a flush on the river) but if it had, he would have tripled up, just like in the scenario above.

10-31-2001, 11:06 AM
Ok...fair point... but I was assuming big stacks... to my mind...these mini raises stink especially in multiway pots. A mini bet sometimes is in order when you think it will give you a cheap card if you have a draw, but mini raises achieve nada except drawing attention to your hand.

10-31-2001, 11:22 AM
Kieth a similar hand occured to me when i was chipped down in the WPF 340 tourney....

Now whether my play was correct or not, I went over the top of a raiser, with one caller, and SB abd BB to act, i was on the button with AK offsuit. My reraise all in cost the other players about 450 more than the original raise to 800...the blinds were 100-200. The board came all rags but i spiked an Ace on the river to triple up.

I had another similar situation about 10 miutes later, after a horrendus beat, i have KQ on the button, guy to my right raises to 600, i go all in with about 875, SB calls, BB calls, Raiser calls. it get's checked to the river, by which time i have trip Queens, but SB turned a set, then rivered the boat to beat me. Oh well....but if i'm getting great odds on my hand, it'd be a good play in my book:..

10-31-2001, 11:40 AM
are you saying that you'd call the raise with a big hand like AK, AQ or KQ, while you're still the big stack in the big blind?

10-31-2001, 12:33 PM
No, Im saying I would reraise a decent amount (KQ is a piece of cheese though and I would likely pass that for a raise) lets say the blinds are 100-200 and I am BB. Someone makes it 700 to go... 2 callers to me... unless I have a read that one of the callers or the bettor is loaded... with AK I reraise to 2500 or 3000... the pot is big and I want it now. Or, I flat call and see the flop.

What purpose exactly does making it 1400 or 1500 serve? You lose any disguise your hand holds if you flat call...and you have virtually zero chance of picking the pot up here.

10-31-2001, 12:47 PM
Ok well, i probably don't need to say that AK is in MUCH better shape heads up; if i were in the big blind with AK, i might be more inclined to either just smoothcall there or move all in, because positionally you're weak, HOWEVER, a reraise all in would probably get it heads up, but you're gambling!

10-31-2001, 02:14 PM
I also can't think of one. If you have a big pair you would want to make a significant re-raise. With AK you would either just call or make a big re-raise. The point of both of these raises are to cut down the players which doubling the raise will not do.

Ken Poklitar

10-31-2001, 11:56 PM
I can think of one general reason, but I wouldn't do it myself (or at least not often). If the stacks are REALLY deep, you do it with hands like 44 and 76s. You are hoping that doubling the bet will "tell" everyone you have KK or AA, and if they flop two pair with their hand they will try to get you all-in, feeling they know they're ahead. So, if the flop comes T94, they won't get off their two pair with T9 vs. your set of 4s.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)