PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on aggression in the Party 1/2 6 max game

wahooriver
11-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Aggression in poker is a fascinating concept. We use aggression to keep other players off balance, to steal pots, and to increase pot size when we have great hands. Aggression works best when playing against player types who respond to aggression in predictable ways.

Unbridled aggression works less well against clueless calling stations. Party 1/2 6 max has plenty of those.

Unbridled aggression is unnecessary when other players display inappropriate aggression. Party 1/2 6 max has plenty of that.

My hypothesis - and while I am perhaps in the midst of a month long rush - is that one must use aggression more selectively in this low limit game.

I experience 2 phenomenon:

1. Players do not fold to well thought out semi-bluffs (ones which work on other sites and in 2/4 or 3/6 games).

2. I have had the nuts several times recently and had other players do my betting for me.

Thus, my total post flop aggression varies between 1.49 and 1.51. I have higher aggression rates at other sites.

Yet me BB/hour are much higher at Party. This game appears to be an annuity (thank to learning so much here at 2 + 2).

So to be specific in my questioning - do others agree or disagree that one should temper one's aggression according to other players. When they are inappropriately aggressive I use a martial arts principle of letting their force do my work.

I hope this post is coherent, and I look forward to your thoughts.

JRichman
11-20-2004, 01:28 PM
You definitely need to temper your aggression depending on the players at the table.

Against calling stations, I would tone down the bluffing, but value bet a lot.

Mr. Graff
11-20-2004, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So to be specific in my questioning - do others agree or disagree that one should temper one's aggression according to other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is key. I've been playing around 20K hands of 1/2 6 max and while I was less aggressive in the beginning as opposed to now (flop aggression then 1.75 vs. 2.75 now) I was winning more! So I'm working on adjusting my aggression to the situation more now (less mindless bluffing into calling stations). Still it is tough to do when you play at different levels at different sites calling for different styles.

I still believe semi-bluffing my better draws even against calling stations is EV+ though because you get paid well when you hit, and much less when you don't (3 flush boards look much scarier to 1/2 players than 2/4 players it seems) - besides even calling stations fold from time to time.