PDA

View Full Version : "dollar bill" poker

thebarracuda
11-20-2004, 06:22 AM
ok, anyone know the rules? I've been playing for years. ran across this a few timnes

get a dollar bill, bet a friend that your dollar (or one he picks out of a stack) will beat his (or one you pick out of his stack) all obviously face down

you look at the serial numbers and the guy with the highest hand (as in real poker) wins. but dealing with 8 numbers, you'll end up with *2* 3 of a kind, one guy with 3 pair, and one guy with a straight (5 out of 8)

which guy wins?

I'd say the guy with the 2 3 of a kind. cause 3 of a kind beats 2 pair and 3 of a kind beats 1 pair and with the straight, thats like having 45629 in a hand of 5 card stud.

what do you think?

e-mail me at
barracuda535@yahoo.com

thanks

Eder
11-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Its called bullshit poker....a popular game in the bars on payday here in the 70's....most of us made sure to be carrying a $20 bill in special spot in our wallets that had at least 6 1's on the serial#...3 pair never played...but 6 aces was usually good enough. Players (any number) would anounce in turn a poker hand relected on his bills serial# whether correct or not...each subsequent announced hand must be better than previous announced hand, you could check your hand 3 times max...at any time another player can call bullshit when you announce your hand and look at the bill...if hand was legitimate he loses his bill...if announcer was bluffing the guy that called bullshit wins your bill. The stacked bill was usually profitable only once in each bar, as many fights would break out after showing down 6 aces haha... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kellon
11-20-2004, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the guy with the highest hand (as in real poker) wins

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you have *2* 3 of a kind or 3 pairs or 6 aces if you're playing the numbers "as in real poker"? If you're playing "real poker", best 5 numbers wins. What am I missing?

Eder
11-20-2004, 05:33 PM
well...5 of kind beats 4 of kind etc...but 3 pair never play...just the way it was done I guess...also a similar game was often played on our crew using the check numbers on our paychecks...although the bets were placed before receiving checks and best poker hand wins bet...on one camp job in the NWT the bet was always for full check amount...although I was to scared to get in on this it would have definetly been +EV as I was lowest paid flunky on crew.

TaggedYa
11-22-2004, 07:44 AM
The way I learned it ( and made a good bit of money with it ):

Each player has a stack of bills of the same denomination. You must play the top bill in your stack.

Digits in serial num count as cards Ace through 10 (1-0).
First player (winner of previous round) anounces a hand. Hands are a number of a specific digit. There are no straights or multiple pairs just X of a kind.

So first player calls 3 sevens. The next player must anounce a higher hand or call. In our example 3 eights or better. He anounces 4 threes.

Now first player must raise or call. First player calls.

When a hand is called the player claiming the hand must be able to show the hand called between both players bills. If he makes his hand he gets the callers bill, if not the caller gets his. Our better has 3 threes on his bill hopeing for a forth on the callers bill. Alase the caller has no threes and is now a dollar richer.

I always heard this called liars poker.

The best "ringer" bills in this are 4 or more of a single number or no pairs. No pairs is actually the better trap bill as you can represent having a pair by a 3 bet and suck the unwary into relying on your pair for an overbid which you can call.

Phat Mack
11-22-2004, 07:55 AM
I've always played liar's poker the way you describe it. I maintain that "ringer" bills get their owner in trouble. They always over play them. When he whips out the six A's, someone bids him up to a level he can't make, and he ends up paying off the whole group.