PDA

View Full Version : 340 Foxwoods No Limit Hand

10-30-2001, 02:58 PM
This hand came up at the 100-200 level. I won the hand but I'm wondering if I could have won more. I was in the BB with K10suited. Utg called, a middle position player who was the chip leader at the table and had been calling with some weak hands, called, and one late position player called. I checked. The flop came K Q 10 offsuit. I bet out 600. I had about 4 or 5 thousand left. Utg thought a long while and finally mucked. Chip leader called and late position mucked. The turn came a K so now I had Kings full. This is where I'm wondering what to do. I was fairly certain that the chip leader would bet if I checked to him but I wasn't too sure of a hand to put him on because he limped with many different hands. What is my play at this point to get the most out of the chip leader in the hand?

Thanks for any responses.

Results to follow.

Peace

Goodie

10-30-2001, 04:42 PM
Sorry, we just don't have enough info to answer. If you're fairly sure he will bet if you check, then check. Apart from that - OK I don't want to be rude, I mean no offence, and you did wish me peace. But if I was a rude, offensive kind of guy I would say "How the hell should I know, I wasn't there" :-)

Depends entirely on your opponent, his perception of you and so on and so on and so on.

I really don't mean any offence but do you take my point ? There are 2 different answers for 2 different opponents, in fact replace that 2 with any number you like.

What's positive is that you are thinking about the right things. It is usually much more productive to focus on a hand which (you feel) was a missed opportunity rather than the hand you actually get knocked out on which is usually a case of "oh dear how sad never mind" :-).

Andy.

10-30-2001, 06:39 PM
I checked the turn. This seems like the right thing to do since I thought he would bet. I guess I should have gone one step further in my original post. My real question was what to do after I checked. He bet 600. Should I raise here or should I try a check raise on the river, or should I bet out on the river. I'm just wondering if there was any way that I could have gotten more money out of him. I know it's hard to answer not being there but I'd just like some general oponions. Thanks.

Peace

Goodie

10-30-2001, 08:24 PM
Seems to me there comes a time in many HE hands that what you do becomes almost secondary to how good your opponent's hand is relative to yours. Unless this guy has a monster too, you are probably getting no more $ of him. He doesn't read you right when he bets, but practically any course of action you take will most likely convince him of that. Maybe he if you just call the 600 he will put you on a J with a pair. Most likely though, you have gotten the most from this guy. You could try calling and hope he catches up a little if think it will help but be aware he might have a K too and have some outs on you. Then you have to check the turn to see if he catches and he is not that likely to bet anyway. I would probably checkraise and take it down, but then again, I would not have checked the turn. I think the fast-then slow play like this is a painfully obvious one that hardly ever works and more often opens a player up to redraws.

KJS

10-31-2001, 02:28 AM
Sounds like there is T2100 in the pot after the flop. I probably would bet out 600 again on the turn. You are hoping he is on a straight draw and hits on the river. On the river I would increase the bet depending what falls.

Lets say you check and hope he bets. If he checks you have lost money unless some really good card hits him on the river. If he bets 600 and you call, then do you check the river? If instead you check-raise will he call you since he will assume you have a King or maybe a flopped straight.

Ken Poklitar

10-31-2001, 10:29 AM
Okay, so you went with your gut feeling that he would bet if you checked, and he did. This is very good so far. Here are my thoughts on the rest of the hand. Bear in mind that I am rubbish at this game; I'm interested to see what others think of my thoughts, as much as anything.

I don't think you can get any more out of this guy unless he has a straight, in which case it probably doesn't matter how you play it. To me, the dialogue in this pot looks like this:

you bet the flop; he called, suspecting a steal.

you checked the turn; he bet, thinking he'd picked off your steal.

He is expecting you to fold now, but he is going to be disappointed. If you raise, you exude power. Only a straight will call. If you call, with 2000 or so left to bet on the end, you exude power. Only a straight will bet out on the end or call a bet from you.

If you know your opponent very well, you will know if it's possible to get more out of him. My thought is that for most players, you're going to win no more.

Guy.

10-31-2001, 10:20 PM
Check and call, check and raise the river if he bets. Your only realistic hope here is that he has a strt or he makes one, and that he's dumb enough to bet it if he does, or maybe he bluffs on the end.

dd