PDA

View Full Version : Pocket TT against Negreanu at WPF

10-30-2001, 11:30 AM
This was my first larger tournament, and seeing Negreanu at my first table for the $340 buyin was surprising; first hand I had was JJ and made him lay down his raggy Ace. I wanted to take Negreanu down so badly; as an aside, i can't believe he took that event down after the beats he was being subjected to....

The following hand came up between Negreanu, A foxwoods ringer, Paul Darden, and Me. I have about $2300 in the first five minutes!!!!

Negreanu limps in early middle position for $25. Ringer makes it $75 to go. I look and I see TT on the button, Darden to my right calls, I reraise it to $150, all fold to Negreanu. Negreanu thinks, then calls. Ringer calls, Darden(on supra-tilt) folds.

Flop: _278_ all diamonds.

Negreanu checks, ringer checks. I have no diamond T, but i still bet out $150. they both think, then call. (please, comments on the bet!!!)

Turn: _3c_

Check, check, check.(comments please on this check!!)

River: _9_ diamond. The board is now 2d 7d 8d 3c 9d.

Negreanu bets like $225, ringer folds(he tells me he had Jacks), and i flash my T's to Negreanu, he shows me only one diamond card, the 3d. I would believe he had another diamond but that punk probably plays J3 suited....i've seen him play some horribly raggy Aces and baby unsuited connectors agressively. I'd like some comments on this play because I feel like my reraise preflop was questionable, and my bet on the flop was questionable(although it did get me the river free card). When the flop came, i did smell a rat, but had to bet in position to see where i was.....comments?

Thanks in advance!

10-30-2001, 01:41 PM
I have no comment on the hand (except the reraise preflop isnt big enough for my liking).

What I would say though... trying to bust one player in particular...especially when hes as good as DN... will invariably lead to you busting out.... playing hands out of position or calling raises when you shouldnt. It always leads to tears.

Cheers,

Keith

10-30-2001, 03:05 PM
and so will betting into 3 flush cards on the board when there are multiple other players in the pot

and if there are 4 of a suit on the board...when you bet, you express the "death wish"

10-30-2001, 04:55 PM
I agree that the raise pre-flop wasn't big enough, nor was your bet on the flop(if you choose to bet). Also in regards to your comment about seeing the river for free, if I was betting a 3 flush flop w/ an overpair I wouldn't want to see the turn card, let alone the river.

Just my thoughts,

The Dog

10-30-2001, 05:14 PM
The mistake is to want to bust out a guy for whatever reason. Maybe, just maybe, he plays like he does to cause that reaction in people. I never was at his table in this event. I went out tied for 36th, but others told me of some bad cards played aggressively that miraculously came through.

I did have Tony Ma at my table for a few hours. Now there is a cool customer.

10-30-2001, 06:50 PM
Thanks for you comments, Keith...

yes I agree that trying to singlehandedly bust a player is not good poker practice, but that's not the point of the post. Coincidentally, Paul Darden was at my table and i busted him in two hands.....i just felt so saucy!!! he raised with some lame hand preflop, and I called his impotent raise, only to flop top pair, top kicker with AJ. SLUUUURRRRRP!!!!

I made the preflop raise proportional to the Ringer's bet...just double....i was thinking about just calling the raise, but hell, i had TT and $75 was pretty low of a bet for me to just call there; In retrospect I would agree that the preflop raise was just too small for me to scoop it right there and then. i was actually hoping on both Negreanu and the Ringer to fold. If Negreanu repopped it to 450 or some other number preflop, i would have mucked....but he diddn't and i guess i have to accept the fact that he tells me he has the nut flush

10-31-2001, 05:55 PM
Keith, if I flop the nut flush and someone bets into me, do you think I am going to raise---no, just call and hope he bets again---right???