PDA

View Full Version : Auto calling with rags heads-up

Scott_Baio
11-19-2004, 11:14 PM
I was just in the finals of a sit-and-go and I won a large pot to the point where I outstacked my opponent 7 to 1.

Seat 3: HERO (6980)
Seat 4: the_other_guy (1020)
the_other_guy posts small blind (300)
HERO posts big blind (600)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ <font color="red">2</font> /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, <font color="red">8</font> /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
the_other_guy raises (720) to 1020
the_other_guy is all-In.

Should the hero call the remaining 420 here? There is 1620 already in the pot and hero will still have a 3 to 1 chip lead if he loses.

Now, I'm almost 100% sure the hero should call that. However here's the REAL question it brings up.

What's the highest amount you would call with any two cards in a similar situation? (talking in numbers of percentage of total chips vs percentage of your chips)

tigerite
11-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Personally I call any two if the all-in guy has 2.5BB or less, and the SB has folded (or I'm in the SB and can be sure the BB will fold). This is because I'm then calling 1.5BB to win 4BB. As for how much I have, well this is a trickier equation. If my folding is going to make me the short stack (by quite a distance) then I will call. However if I have a medium stack and folding will still give me a decent lead over the small stack, and preserve my fold equity, I will pass. It's pretty rare that I pass though.

pshreck
11-20-2004, 12:16 AM
Unless the guy is holding pocket 8's (what are the odds of that), you call this every time.

There are situations when this is closer to a tough decision.

Say you have 6600 and opponent has 1400. You post blind of 600, opponent pushes his last 1400. What do you call the 800 chips with? I have made a mistake of calling with anything... we tend to assume that the opponent pushes anything here, but this is quite untrue. They do have some selectivity, which means folding your absolute junk hands (I would say 8 high and lower) would be correct. It's not so much about being happy with a 40/60 even with correct pot odds... its that you should whenever possible push for all your chips, and not call. When you know that 60% or more of the time your opponent will be back at 3k, then you should consider folding a lot of those hands.

tigerite
11-20-2004, 07:40 AM
Yes, I agree. This is a case when your folding equity will be damaged and your overall position too, so I'd call with slightly better hands.

citanul
11-20-2004, 03:15 PM
call with any two. you're calling 420 into a pot of 1620.

there should be no hesitation at all in this call.

citanul

texasrattlers
11-20-2004, 10:49 PM
Auto-call.

Just the way I see things now.